A Belfast Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Belfast Story Reviews

December 26, 2014
This is one of the best films I've seen in a long time.
August 8, 2014
This was pretty dismal. The story had some minor potential however this disintegrated. Script was terrible. Points of reflection by the characters were cringe worthy. It also became a bit of a farce with the constant reuse of extras.
½ August 7, 2014
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Laughably bad.
½ July 24, 2014
the only redeeming factor was the NI scenery
½ May 29, 2014
the worst movies I have ever seen, I felt embarrassed to be irish......can't believe this ever got to the big screen.....omg it's bad.
May 1, 2014
Great film enjoyed it from start to finish
½ April 15, 2014
Just to re iterate how boring this was.
½ March 8, 2014
Innovative story with the troubles of Northern Ireland up for bias one way or another. Interesting none the least.
March 7, 2014
its an awrite movie. great storyline ex ira members getting what there owed cant complain. colm meaney i just dont like that actor though.
February 13, 2014
Woeful, boring unconvincing!!!
February 12, 2014
a must see film for anyone from Belfast. you need to have been raised with the stories of the past to realize how deep this film really is.
½ February 9, 2014
heard about this film from a friend and how many awards it picked up at the sunfeast awards decided to give it a watch..it was a ok film nothing spectacular but for a unknown film it wasn't that bad.
January 29, 2014
Without giving the plot away this would never happen. If it had of been made chessey it might of worked but it tried to go down the 'Hidden Agenda' route in an attempt at a political conspiracy thriller. Meaney is great but this really is a great big pile of pig spunk.
½ January 23, 2014
Complete and utter shite.
October 26, 2013
terrible accents, terrible acting and everything about it felt plastic.
½ October 5, 2013
I don't know how anyone can rate this film as being even passable. The plot, which could have had merit dependent on your personal political opinion, was stretched and finally shredded. Too many insignificant, meaningless but pompous characters with banal drivel for lines and all the emotion of a gutted cod. I felt genuinely sorry for Colm Meaney who, I am sure, will sincerely hope this offering is consigned to the wastebin of time very quickly. here are a few points:
1. As far as i am aware Poles or Lithuanians did not engage in an armed struggle in Northern Ireland never mind get to the heights of First Minister.
2. The Primary School which designed the uniform and badge doesn't even deserve credit.
3. There is probably more than one sole plain clothed officer within the Northern Ireland Police Service.
4. Chief Constables would not tend to meet informants whilst dressed in full uniform, never mind attending murder scenes.
5. The police badge is modelled on the UPS logo.
6. If a gibbering idiot hid a 'burn' mobile phone in a flower pot in a general office they wouldn't be high on the list of recruits for any terrorist organisation.
7. One particularly ridiculous murder, can anyone tell me how it occurred?
8. Platitudes never go down well with audiences so the 50 or so contained in here embarrass and then annoy in equal measure.
9. If a police force/service have enough sense to search a house and plant listening devices they might actually have the sense to search the garages 30 feet away.
10. Why oh why didn't someone who actually had a brain take the idea to a professional film company with a competent cast, good cinematographer and above all a sensible script writer. I am actually ill with the thought that a wider audience, around the world, will watch this and think it bears any semblance to my country or the local 'talent' is indicative of what we actually have here.
Please, please , please take the financial hit and withdraw this dross immediately. I know that some films are so bad they develop a cult status but this goes way beyond that. The worst film I have seen in my lifetime, and i went to the cinema to see Hitman!!!
October 3, 2013
i did not realize that Colm meany was going to be in it. when i saw his name in the credits i was settling in for a cracker of a movie. i was hoping for something on a par with previous north of Ireland based movie ie some mothers son and in the name of the father. and even the recent hunger. Both these movies were excellent in many many respects. i find myself watching them again and again despite their age. A Belfast story is however one will be consigned to the dustbin of the deformed. it is comparable to a bumper long episode of a tv show like cracker. Whilst Meany cannot be faulted for the movies problem, i find his distinct lack of any ulster accent despite his character having supposedly grown up in east belfast to be very hard to swallow. whilst i am not expecting stereotypical colloquialisms ie "what abouts yez". if someone is trying to pull off a Belfast detective they might at least try to learn the accent. this smacks of laziness on meany's part which is unusual given his past acting experience or maybe the director did want to spend the money on electrocution lessons either ways a north Dublin accent in the middle of Belfast simply does not work. on the movie itself it opens with the typical political correct bullshit of the distinctly catholic uniformed copper and the apparently protestant semi retired jaded old ruc man working hand in hand. above them all is of course the sprightly British public school educated head of policing over seeing the unruly natives like some kindly benevolent grandfather, our "benevolent masters" from the "mainland" works with the castle catholic to spy on the old timer ex ruc. whilst a series of mangy characters appear out of the woodwork from all sides getting successively bumped off the climax if one can call it that is another exercise in political correctness gone mad. the strain to be all things to all people and not offend anyone results in a watered down everyone happy s but no ones excited movie. the internal monologue that goes on half way though the movie is reminiscent of a tv detective and smacks of the producers spending too many rainy nights in watching itv produced filler tv. this is fine if one is making a tv series but not for a movie. the apparent ease at which the the ex paramilitary men are getting bumped off is presumptuous egotistical and smacks of someone who has taken personal feelings into a movie in a effort to assuage his demons. whilst i understand the political sensitives if the producers of this movie are that afraid of offending people maybe they should stick to making cartoons
September 30, 2013
Probably one of the worst films I've seen in the last ten years. The plot was ludicrous, the script was just a series of cliches and what's this 'Northern Ireland Police Service' all about? The only good point was that there were some good shots of Belfast! I was very disappointed.
September 26, 2013
A good story about the problems in N.Ireland, however a bit one sided in my opinion
½ September 25, 2013
An enjoyable film with some surprisingly good acting even by some of the lesser known actors. It mixes images of both local landscape and gruesome deaths nicely and is complemented by some good music and a story that I found interesting.
I don't get why some of the pretentious critics are ragging on it, I went to see the film despite the comments and found it to be a good watch with little of the complaints they mention.