A Christmas Carol Reviews

• Feb 07, 2020

It was so slow and boring. I stopped an hour in because I couldn't anymore.

It was so slow and boring. I stopped an hour in because I couldn't anymore.

• Feb 02, 2020

An over exhausted source material retold in dark and twisted fashion.  Guy Pearce delivers an amazing performance, along with the rest of the cast, and the director does everything right to make this iteration feel quite different and fresh than the others.  A must see!

• Jan 20, 2020

Although seemingly darkened and altered for the sake of shock value, a series of excellent performances proves that a commonly remade classic such as Dickins' "A Christmas Carol" can still find fresh material. Edgy, twisted and dismal, FX/BBC's update offers a hauntingly good Christmas Eve tale of the old Ebenezer Scrooge.

• Jan 18, 2020

Wow!! Just got around to watching FX's "A Christmas Carol". It's not for children, Dickens purists with delicate natures to change or anyone who needs redemption to look like Willy Wonka ( giggle ). Right, pressing on. It's dark and exposes the worst of human nature ( the human beast) as well as the best. It is well written and well acted. The cinematography, timing and mood is exquisite for imaginative people who don't want to ride Mr Toads wild ride again but prefer the under belly of Ursula' grotto instead. It's my new favorite because it's not like Charles John Huffman Dickens' story in tone . What Nick Murphy has done in this version is give human teeth to a normally glossed over issue, why was Scrooge so cold? "The truth without ribbons and bows". It explores details never before exposed. Survival is difficult sometimes. The creative license blended with the traditional story is exciting and quite millennial in nature. Just brilliant in my humble opinion. Do make some popcorn and grab a scotch or brandy, cuddle up and be prepared to be shocked and moved. Hopefully on a snowy night. Peace to all

• Jan 10, 2020

This contemporary retelling of A Christmas Carol gives humanness to the fairy tell. For once the caricature of a wealthy business man, the inexplicably soulless Scrooge, is finally given worthy context and character development. He is made into a true anti-hero with no attempts to white wash the grave sins of his past. With knockout performances across the entire cast, this retelling stays true enough to the source material while allowing it to be to be seen through a more real-world lens.

• Jan 09, 2020

Guy Pearce will always be Mike from Neighbours. I thought Tom Hardy was playing the lead.

• Jan 08, 2020

A load of Identity Politics, Social Justice Warrior, Politically Correctness crap. Destroyed a timeless story making it about seedy sexual harassment, the BBC need to start making programmes for the general public again not for just for a minority liberal WOKE 'elite' group. I paid my licence fee money for this??? NOT FAIR!!

• Jan 08, 2020

An unorthodox telling of the story, this miniseries, with a fantastic performance by Guy Pearce, goes more into the minds and histories of what the characters did and why they did those things, which brought the chains and suffering to Marley and to Scrooge, and how their actions affected the world around them. It depicts what they are from what happened to them. The show also tell us, at one point quite directly, to look at ourselves and think about what the Spirits will show to us, and what may become of us and who we can be. The traditional story will always be a classic, but this isn't the traditional story. It can't be compared to it, and it isn't trying to be it, but it is still a story of redemption of Scrooge's facing his raw and cruel past and present, for a chance of a peaceful future.

• Jan 04, 2020

I love a good dark scary Christmas movie, it's probably the only thing out there to counterbalance all of the fake Christmas happiness.

• Jan 04, 2020

The movie opens with a boy urinating on a grave, That's what this film does to Dickens, and his immortal classic. Good acting performances, yep. Sure. But the film itself is a gross, gray, bleak, depressing, profane, lewd, steaming pile of putrid feces. Infuse this with some feminist occultism. "As a woman I have the power to summon spirits, and I F****** will," says Mrs, Cratchit. And regarding the Cratchits, were racially diverse marriages allowed or tolerated in 1800s England? I don't know, but I would assume that the racism in 1800s US wasn't different from that of England. So does the end fulfill us with a reformed, loving and kind philanthropist? In a vague and unsatisfying manner. He gives the Cratchits some money, and they give him a "don't expect us to forgive you" reaction. Well done, modern Nihilists. Now for some holiday cheer, a viewing of "The Elephant Man" may be more joyous.