A Company Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Company Man Reviews

December 1, 2015
44%
Saw this on 1/12/15
With a plot borrowed from A Bittersweet Life without any of the latter's style and a combination of boring, dull plot with mostly cliched situations, subpar acting, Company man is the worst Korean film that I have seen thus far. I don't watch many Korean films, but when I do, they will be great.
October 11, 2015
A Company Man is a tired exploitation of the Korean revenge movie genre. The synopsis is almost a copy/paste of A Bittersweet Life, and has the same main actor playing an identical type of character. The biggest difference I found is that A Bittersweet Life has an awesome soundtrack while A Company Man score is nothing but memorable. Otherwise, the ressemblance is so obvious that as the story unveiled itself, i found myself exponantially hoping I was rewatching ABSL instead.
½ August 21, 2015
Above average thriller that while not perfect, makes up for thanks to some excellent action & unrelenting plot. Jisub So is solid in the lead role while not being showy while getting great support from the rest of the cast. Behind the camera, Sang-yoon Lim crafts some fun action scenes (a knife fight on a busy highway is a highlight) while keeping the twists & deaths coming (some of which are surpising). However, he doesn't take advantage of the corporate/mafia parallels first presented, which could have been a great source of satire. Overall, a solid action film but not much more than that.
June 28, 2015
Feels like a good start to Lim making the standard Well Go films, just needs more polish in a few areas- most notably the great RED cinematography in the whole film till the final end gun fight that for some reason looks to be shot on a eng camera at 60i and never corrected for some reason. I think the story is also abit to romance-ish that feels off with the pace in places.
½ May 27, 2015
Halfway decent action movie. It's something that Jet Li or Jason Statham would do for Stateside production. The action sequences are spectacular and very well-choreographed. The plot is simple as a hitman kills someone and then befriends the family. Then he supports the family and well, does what he does best. It has veins of Leon the Professional. Hitman and other similar movies.
May 7, 2015
really good movie. dude was cold-blooded
½ April 30, 2015
After having just watched 2 bad movies, I needed to take a break with something good; and it was.
December 8, 2014
They spent a lot of money on artificial blood on this one. But for all the carnage, this is actually quite a good film with a nice turn of plot that keeps the suspense very high. The final scenes are a bit cringeworthy for their over-the-top violence, but all in all an entertaining film.
October 17, 2014
damn this was a fantastic film. really nicely shot and the action is amazing.
May 1, 2014
A quite original subject, maybe a little bit slow, but not bad.
March 13, 2014
"A tightly scripted, fast paced mix of action, revenge, and betrayal." What a way to quit a job!
March 4, 2014
Started off with a bang! But before I could recline in my chair it decided to shift from thriller to a gall darn dialogue driven drama! After an hour long snoozefest and the bullets decided to come out of hibernation it was too little too late!
February 22, 2014
One line summary: Professional assassin develops a conscience at great expense.

----------------

Hyeong-do is assigned to terminate a man. The man asks that he give a certain woman some money. He does this. The woman is someone who he knew from earlier in his life, who used to be a singer.

He finds her, gives her the money, and meets with her now and then. He puts off killing the man, but later is cornered into doing it.

He grows closer to the woman, and helps her buy a small shop. He encourages her to sing again. He decides to resign at a meeting. His company sends two others to escort him to the meeting. They were also assigned to kill him.

Throughout much of the film, he consults a disgraced former operative that the company let live for some unclear reason. He confides in this man. He decides to take the singer and her two children to a 'safe' place.

How well does that work?

-------Scores-------

Cinematography: 8/10 Good.

Sound: 8/10 The subtitles seemed to be good. Incidental music and foley were folded in nicely.

Acting: 9/10 I liked the principal actors very much.

Screenplay: 8/10 Reasonable story, well told. Loved the final revenge phase.
½ December 8, 2013
great movie and GREAT cinematography, story was great and movie kept me on my toes.
November 19, 2013
Although this movie received a staggering amount of negative feedback, to me it is another great addition to my top movies. If you happen to have netflix, this movie is a must see. It so much as rivals masterpieces such as The Man from Nowhere and Yellow Sea. All in all, a great Korean film.
November 10, 2013
Corporatisation of the assassination business, an interesting concept competently executed, with some terrific action sequences, though the emotional side story drags the film down a bit. Even after that, a good watch.
½ November 6, 2013
I'm not really sure what to think about this movie. On one hand it was better than I expected thanks to its lead, whose stoic, yet very expressive, eyes remind me of Buster Keaton and its action sequences were topnotch, particularly the last shootout scene in the company office, which was intense thanks to its close-quarter setting and the fact that it looks like it was shot using a completely different lens also added to the more realistic look the scene had. At the same time, I really found the story of the film to be fairly uninteresting. There's this fine idea here of this killer going through this existential crisis as he starts to question his choices in life and his bloody past with the company he works for. The way they go about this is stereotypical, as he falls in love with the mother of one of his trainees. And this is really where the film falls apart. Perhaps fall apart isn't the right term, because it isn't like the film is a disaster, but I found these parts of the film lacking in any decent character development or acting. The characters are pretty one-dimensional and perhaps if the characters would've been more interesting, then I may have thought this was a good movie. I don't mean to say the acting from the supporting cast is bad, it's just that they don't really stand out and that is due to the fact that their characters are one-dimensional and have nothing interesting to say. Your lead's charisma and solid action sequences can only take you so far without a decent story to tell. This movie isn't bad at all, it's just lacking certain things that would've made it a good movie. As it stands, it's more than a watchable movie, but nothing else.
November 3, 2013
An almost decent hit man story...
October 4, 2013