Adrift - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adrift Reviews

½ November 19, 2015
After his masterpiece O Cheiro do Ralo, Brazilian director Heitor Dhalia went on to make this third feature film, a work that strays from his usual narrative style and ventures into something more sober - only this time he seems to have plagiarized New Zealander film Rain.
October 22, 2015
Cliched, dull & lifeless.
½ November 16, 2013
A bittersweet coming of age tale wrapped in a depressing dissolution of marriage story. Laura Neiva knocked my socks off with her performance as 14-year old Filipa. This is emotional on many levels, and the cast is terrific. Not my usual type of movie - in my queue due to Camilla Belle's involvement - but I enjoyed it quite a bit.
August 29, 2013
I love Vincent cassel
½ May 20, 2013
Great performances. Great interaction between the teens and adults. Couldn't take my eyes away from the screen.
March 24, 2013
absolute cheese ball movie, if you are old and you like chardonnay you might like it, otherwise this is a good movie to try to get laid to. thats about it.
½ February 2, 2013
Somewhat entertaining but filled with shots of pretty people and pretty places. This is a movie that took itself more seriously than it deserved to, because ultimately it has nothing particularly insightful, moving, or new to say. I watched it for Vincent Cassel, who I find incredibly sexy. If he's not enough to entertain you, then you might want to skip this one.
½ December 5, 2012
Not a bad dysfunctional family movie. The description says the daughter is 14. Yikes. She could do big things in the future. She's pretty effective as the centerpiece in a dysfunctional family that features two cheating parents. Still, Vincent Cassell is the best. He looks and sounds cool, and I definitely liked what happened when the family actually fell apart. Thought that was pretty cool way to handle that on the writing end. As for Camilla Belle - what is she even doing in this movie. She seems to be playing someone about twice her age, wears horrific clothing, and barely says anything. In the future, give these roles to someone else.
Harlequin68
½ August 30, 2012
To its credit, "Adrift" succeeds more by what it does not do than what it seeks to do, taking its time during an endless summer at a beach community in Brazil. Of special interest are the beautiful scenery and Vincent Cassel, cast against type and speaking Portugese. Unlike most of the other characters he has played, Mathias is quite domestic as a writer on vacation with his family. That's not to say that Mathias is without his share of danger signs, most of which emanate from his never having fully grown up. That sense of irresponsibility has led his wife Clarice(Debora Bloch) to drink as they argue about a possible adaptation of one of his works and eventually the logistics of a possible separation.

While their son gets into a fight, it is their oldest, 14-year old Filipa(Laura Neiva), who is most conscious of what is going on around them. This is especially important because she has reached an age where she is taking an interest in boys for the first time, namely Artur(Daniel Passi) who faces an impossible question during a round of truth and dare. Not having the experience to know what the signals mean, she does not have the answers. But even worse, she has no questions.
hunterjt13
½ August 21, 2012
A fourteen-year-old discovers her father's infidelity and her own sexuality.
Adrift is a slow but striking film. We watch Filipa's every step with a feeling of impending doom, and Laura Neiva gives an inscrutable performance. Vincent Cassel, whose work is always compelling (even as he upstages big Hollywood stars in Oceans 13), turns in another phenomenal performance, a tour de force, nuanced character, in yet another language.
The weakness of the film is its story, which, in the final analysis, doesn't amount to anything new. Yes, Mathias's reaction to the final scene is different than the cliches we're used to (and oh so European), but that's about all that sets this coming-of-age story apart from all the others.
Overall, I enjoyed Adrift, as I sat tensely throughout the film, but after I thought about it, I realized I didn't see anything original, so Adriftbecomes an old film done very well.
July 25, 2012
Lindo filme, de muita sensibilidade e com uma fotografia perfeita. O roteiro bem triste, daqueles que ficam martelando a sua cabea por algum tempo.
½ May 5, 2012
Thoughtful movie, stunningly shot, and with a beautiful, haunting score that lingers long after the credits have rolled......
½ March 20, 2012
Transformation is always beautiful to watch. Even when it is sad.
January 15, 2012
ενα καλοκαι?ινο κοιν?νικο δ?αμα με ??ε?ο?ο?? ?α?ακ?η?ε?
½ January 14, 2012
An elegant look at failed relationships of all kinds and coming of age story telling.
½ January 3, 2012
A quiet contemplative film that explores the tensions of a husband and wife splitting up over the course of a summer holiday and how that dynamic affects the children, who don't understand what is happening. Lots of lovely scenery, young, nubile bodies, and and some solid acting mark this film. Laura Neiva, as Philipa, the oldest girl, is quite lovely and gave a strong performance. Vincent Cassel and Debora Bloch played her parents and Camille Belle was the love interest for the father. All is not as it seems however and when the true reason for the breakup comes out it does manage to surprise, at least a little. One has to wonder how many bathing suits a young girl like that might own, as it seems that Philipa never wears the same one twice.
½ November 9, 2011
like an abercrombie & fitch catalog took a turn for the dramatic
October 27, 2011
great cast and music make this one a winner heres the formula: american beauty+a summer's place+ the ice strom-the weather= this one!
½ October 15, 2011
You'll be driven by Phillip Glass and the great locations they picked for this movie. Good performances and though the story is old and known, main characters do a great work. BTW...Camilla Belle has little to do in this movie.