A Futile and Stupid Gesture Reviews

• Sep 10, 2019

Forte's best work yet.

Forte's best work yet.

• Mar 26, 2019

A clever meta-comedy. An awful lot to try and cram into a movie, and it can often leave the viewer wanting, but just appreciating the meta-ness of it was enough to enchant me. YMMV.

• Jan 23, 2019

David Wain doing a biopic? Like an actual biopic? Yes please!

David Wain doing a biopic? Like an actual biopic? Yes please!

• Aug 17, 2018

While it probably isn't as funny as the material it's cover, the period and self parody work well and there's something fascinating about watching these modern comedians portraying their idols.

• Aug 14, 2018

1) A futile attempt to recreate the magic of Man On The Moon but David Wain is no Milo Forman 2) Too many characters, too little time. 3) This biopic follows the same rise and fall formula as used in Goodfellas, Scarface and The Wolf Of Wall Street.

• Aug 14, 2018

I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did, but it was extremely entertaining and educational in filling in the blanks regarding the origins of National Lampoon. Sad ending, but still a poignant story. Definitely take the time to see it.

• Jul 16, 2018

As many other critics have noted, Wain’s direction and the cinematography leave much to be desired, (the film clamours for something more visually inventive; like Boogie Nights or a toned down Fear and Loathing), but the core story, Forte’s methodical and immersive role make this an interesting and enjoyable glimpse into a mysterious man who had a massive impact on American culture. And Gleeson... wow, what an incredible performance - he disappears into Beard’s role. Still, from a talent like Wain, and a cast this incredible, it was always impossible to meet a story like this one’s expectations. A solid effort, that barely hits the mark - but an absolute must for comedy fans and pop culture historians.

• Jul 08, 2018

Cool for killing time

Cool for killing time

• Jun 23, 2018

So stupid I couldn't watch it. Annoying and absolutely dumb.

So stupid I couldn't watch it. Annoying and absolutely dumb.

• Jun 23, 2018

Nobly, Wain is trying something new here; unfortunately it jumps awkwardly between a stylistic & dramatic punk rock film, & a traditional biopic, leaning on cliched storytelling tropes that he would normally lampoon. Even the funniest stuff is all old National Lampoon creations, not film originals. The stunt casting is fun (especially Daly's Murray), but the bad makeup & wigs, filmmaking insecurity & Forte's unnuanced lead performance just point to Wain not quite having a control over the material.