A Girl Like Her - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Girl Like Her Reviews

August 8, 2017
love it this movie was good but if it possible to make another one
July 30, 2017
A very powerful film about bullying at school, that can drive people to suicide. A must watch film for any teenager! The movie did feel very amateurish but that's the style of this film.
½ April 26, 2017
Powerful film! Even though its a fictionalized account, I've never seen anything so real! I also like that it doesn't involve any teen romances, or teen drinking or smoking or any of that. It is an accurately portrayed story with raw emotion, just as it should be, with stand-out performances from Lexi Ainsworth & Hunter King, who were perfectly cast as the two leads!
½ April 26, 2017
½ March 27, 2017
I liked the movie overall although I thought it was weird that the characters were recording as well as the film makers who were filming the school in general. I think they should've done one or the other, not both. At times the camera crew being there felt out of place since the story was in fact fictional while also feeling like a true story. However, for someone who has dealt with serious mental illness; and I also work with extremely mentally ill (very often abused) teenagers, a lot of whom have attempted suicide multiple times, this becomes a more powerful story and experience.
March 8, 2017
Basically a Lifetime movie with a found-footage angle...
March 5, 2017
well delivered highlighting the real dangers of bullying.

my wife out it in but I found myself watching it.
February 24, 2017
This movie is incredible! Even though it seems like a low budget film, the content and story is top notch! There have been many movies made about high school bullying, but none of them hit me as emotionally as this one. I recommend this movie to everyone! Especially if you have kids in school. It is worth the 92 minutes of your time. See it A.S.A.P.!
February 20, 2017
Excellent film, I wish there was a way to get this shown before schools. Let people see the effects bullying has on kids. People.
January 14, 2017
Boring and cliche at best. The characters had no depth and there was a distinct lack of a well constructed storyline.
December 23, 2016
Watched it with my 13 year old daughter. We talked about how inept the adults in the film were about talking about real feelings, being honest with kids or problem solving. She felt the focus was on blaming Avery- the bully, and should have showed how peer bystanders, adults and Jessica herself were participants in allowing Avery's ugly behavior. Kinda cheesy and really wanted to shut it off but it made for some okay discussion at the end about self advocacy and the ethical role of the observer/bystander.
½ December 3, 2016
Surprisingly real with its use of no-names. Tough. Realistic. The future. Life. Sad statement on the world of teens.
½ November 19, 2016
A Girl Like Her is directed and by Amy S. Weber, and it stars Hunter King, Lexi Ainsworth, and Jimmy Bennett in a mockumentary about a student that gets bullied every day of her life, she and her best friend decides to film everything about her school life about what she does, and how she has to deal with them. I wanted to do something like this in my school, not because I was being bullied around, but because I wanted to show my parent about what I do in my school life, and what I need to improve upon it. Of course for me, I took a while to finally watch this as I had other films to watch, and this is a powerful film for me, even if it's on the same subject that we've seen a million times. Hunter King playing a bully is so convincing that I really hated her as a person, not a character that she plays, which is a huge compliment that I can think of for her. Lexi Ainsworth is also terrific in this that I believed from her emotions that she was bullied and just wanted it to be over. The authenticity of it is really impressive, even if there were times that a scene comes in every now and then, and it takes me out of it because it made me realize that I was watching a film, not a documentary which it was trying to be, in its own way that is. The characters are memorable, you get to see the mindset of why the bully acts like that, and it has some emotional resonance in there that got me emotionally invested. It didn't feel cheesy that you see in those bully videos in your school in any grade, it took itself seriously with the hard truth of it in terms of how the students really act, and how people that sees it don't go for help because they're just scared about it as the student that's getting bullied, and I enjoyed this movie a lot.
October 24, 2016
Anything that can make me cry that hard deserves 5 stars.
October 23, 2016
A Girl Like Her shows a completely raw perspective of the effects of bullying from all sides: the perpetrator, the victim, and the friends and family of both. This entangled web shows us that things are not always what they seem. This story is one that needs to be told.
October 22, 2016
Heart wrenching and honest look at bullying.
October 9, 2016
This movie has the perspective of such an important issue in the world. i literally cried watching this
½ September 30, 2016
So so sad. Good movie, but so so sad. Be prepared to cry.
September 21, 2016
I liked this movie it reminded me of what I went through as a teen because I was bullied horribly in school. It really shows how messed up some of these teens family life is and how a bully can hurt as well and this is there way of passing off the pain that they have is to be cruel and heartless to someone else. I think that they both need counseling especially in the wake of this. I'm glad the Jessica girl filmed Avery because it gave her insight of the damage that she caused to her. I hope that this movie helps teens that are being bullied and for the bullies to see the damage that they can cause does not affect just the one they are bullying but also others and their families.
½ September 14, 2016
This whole movie lies in the hands of the last ten minutes. The first 80 minutes were kind of boring, even though they weren't boring enough for me to actually turn it off. The last ten minutes were gripping on a whole other level. Half the grade is just because of the end of the movie. Because by the end I was blown away, even if it took me 80 minutes to get there.