A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III Reviews

½ August 1, 2016
Overall, this movie is a total mess. Self-indulgent, boring, aimless, unfunny, and trying way too hard to be Wes Anderson-esque. Nothing happens and it feels much longer than 85 minutes, but there are two scenes at the end that actually work and the very end itself is cute. Where the hell was that the rest of the time? It makes everything else feel like even more of a waste, and that's what this is overall: a waste of a movie, and very pointless. This feels like something that should have been a short or a just a sequence in another movie.
October 3, 2015
I really enjoyed it. I came across it on my a Time Warner movie channel. It kept my interest, very creative and fun.
½ May 21, 2015
Pretty good movie. The plot feels familiar, most likely because it feels a lot like it's based on the life of its star (Sheen), it's clever, it's pretty funny, it's whack, and it has great performances from its cast, especially Sheen, Schwartzman and Murray.
½ March 28, 2015
A total waste of time, talent, and film. It gets half a star for including Bill Murray, though there is no excuse for wasting him.
½ November 15, 2014
In the 1970s, successful graphic designer and ladies' man Charles Swan III (Charlie Sheen) is dumped by his girlfriend Ivana (Katheryn Winnick), and it throws his life into a tailspin. He doesn´t know whether he loves her or hates her or wants her back or never wants to see her again. Along with his best friend, Kirby (Jason Schwartzman) and his manager, Saul (Bill Murray), Charles starts to suffer from nightmares, fever dreams of past relationships and hits rock bottom as he tries to recover from the recent breakup and tries to turn his life around...

I can only say wow, what an utterly and truly piece of garbage this is. The Dallas Observer said that the film "might generously be described as cut-and-paste - or more accurately as 'throw stuff to the wall and see what sticks'". TIME said that the film "does not lead to a deeper understanding of Charlie Sheen. It does, however, demonstrate his compulsion for poor judgment and bad choices. But weren't we already convinced of that?" Roman Coppola has tried to do a Michel Gondry movie and fails miserably. Charlie Sheen was ok as an actor in the beginning of his career, but he has spiralled downwards since then for so many years and as Charles Swan III I can´t think he can get lower as an actor. His pathetic self obsession has sunk his career slowly and I can barely stand to see this worn and torn actor (looking worse than ever) anymore doing the same role with the same name over and bloody over again. What the hell was Schwartzman and Murray thinking when signing on to do this movie? The movie is barely coherent and things seems completely hap hazarded. The low point most be the spanish duet between Sheen and Winnick as Sheen is clearly on something during this scene. "A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III" is a bizarre odyssey that seems to have been written, produced and filmed during the influence of all sorts of things and it misses the goal by miles of becoming an original black comedy and strange tale. The only positive parts were the lovely Katheryn Winnick and the music from Liam Hayes.
½ September 21, 2014
A nice film to watch on a Sunday afternoon when you want some great actors in a decent movie.
August 26, 2014
The movie is imaginative, but you don't find yourself caring for the characters too much. 20m in it felt like watching a tv show and I was looking forward to it finishing so I could continue on with my day. A better version of the movie would be The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I like the idea of using our everyday day dreams for a movie. It's not done often.
½ August 5, 2014
It's a lot like what I'd imagine the first draft of an aspiring writer's screenplay always looks like - quirky, clever and ambitious, also arrogant, pretentious, silly and thematically lost up in the clouds to the point where simple MapQuest re-writes won't help it find its way back down. This movie's got the stuff, kids, but clearly no one knew what the hell to do with it.
½ May 3, 2014
A fascinating mess, Coppola's surreal dark comedy is an odd specimen. Its story and characters are paper thin and ludicrous, and yet, the dream sequences and visual style give the film a sort of entrancing watchablility.
March 25, 2014
Overall boring and pretentious? Yes, but the set pieces and the cutesy ending can't be dismissed.
January 8, 2014
Jesus, why did I bother?
December 24, 2013
weird, but still enjoyable
½ December 23, 2013
Creative, well-written, and fueled with an excellent performance by Charlie Sheen, this movie sure does have a brilliant Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III.
November 21, 2013
Charlie Sheen plays a graphic designer who descends into utter misery after his girlfriend leaves him. There have been some arguments in favour of Roman Coppola's A Glimpse in the Mind of Charles Swan III that have called it a misunderstood tribute to seventies film. However, there is very little to admire in a film that is uncertain about whether it wants to be deadpan or childish - so in the end it is just cardboard. On top of that, its general humour is rather weak and filmmaker doesn't appear skilled enough to give the drama any relevant importance. The saddest element of all, however, is Charlie Sheen. Not only his perhaps premature casting in a role that feels like a surrogate of his own 'controversial' lifestyle often feel very uncomfortable, but it's even worse to see the embarrassing rare instances where the film requires him to act - particularly when we remember that this is the same man who once starred in Platoon.
½ November 10, 2013
This film is great fun, it has Charlie Sheen in a role he was born to play, which makes sense as he has lived that life.
October 18, 2013
Es difícil entender lo que Roman Coppola quizo hacer con esta tragicomedia. El director, conocido principalmente por sus trabajos con Wes Anderson, presenta a Charlie Sheen como Charles Swan III, un diseñador que entra en una verdadera crisis al terminar con su última novia. Buena banda sonora de Liam Hayes.
October 11, 2013
I don't get why this film was so torn apart. Charlie Sheen's performance is charming and honest. This is a wonderful, whimsical film.
October 7, 2013
Just like "CQ" this Coppola's movie had no chance to reach wide public. But if you are a fan of Roman or Wes Anderson, you should give it a try.
October 5, 2013
What the hell is going on in this film. The movie is all over the place and it wasn't that funny. It's good to see Bill Murray and Charlie Sheen back on screen, but this movie didn't make that much sense to me. I think that it's supposed to show the thought within Charlie Swan's mind during a break up, but the director had a funny way of portraying the story. I was hoping for a witty comedy, but there wasn't much flow to the film because it skips from one scene to the next. I just hope that Charlie Sheen doesn't make this to be his last movie because its a bad way to go out. Disappointing!

I don't know if there was a moral to this story, with what is happening in Charlie Sheens life at the moment, but I didn't get it. The director really wasted the cast, and the concept didn't have that much thought. I thought that it was a bit weird that I hadn't heard about this film because of all of the media surrounding Charlie Sheen. Anyway, this is a very strange movie and you need a warped sense of humour to find it remotely interesting.

I recommend this movie to people who like there out of the ordinary comedies/drama about a man whose going through turmoil after his girlfriend leaves him. 2/10
½ September 22, 2013
Funny but small budget nonsense.