A Good Day To Die Hard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Good Day To Die Hard Reviews

½ May 18, 2017
5/14/2017 (2): It was entertaining, but not near as good as any of the others.
May 10, 2017
Whilst not as quite bad as some people make out you really get the sense that Willis is purely there for the paycheck this time.

A ridiculously contrived plot combined with a ropey script and action that jumps the shark with wild abandon, it's amazing this ever got green lit.

It's not utterly awful but it is kind of heading in that direction.
½ April 27, 2017
Awesome action movie. Weak story. I still loved it.
½ March 24, 2017
I've watched each previous Die Hard movie a minimum of 3 times, but I couldn't even finish this one. So sad. Die Hard 5: A Good Day to watch another movie !
½ March 23, 2017
Terrible, awful to no plot, bad acting, cheesy parts, does not hold a candle to any other of the Die Hard movies.
March 2, 2017
I now why people hate this movie but it's ok to me as a movie
½ February 23, 2017
F#%k this movie!!!! That's all I can say as a Die Hard fan without my blood boiling.
February 9, 2017
Nearly destroyed the franchise. Awful plot and non sensical over the top action. Sadly couldn't wait for this film to be over. It was just awful and as a fan of the series, I was so disappointed.
½ January 19, 2017
Come out to the movies... We'll get together... Have a few laughs...
½ January 16, 2017
This movie made me very sad
½ January 4, 2017
Very cool action movie, horrible Die Hard film. very one-sided, no character building, no one knows what's happening the whole time. But, action scenes are awesome and John McLean still kicks some ass.
½ December 31, 2016
A good day to please just please stop now.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 11, 2016
The last one was the best one since the first one, but this one is by far the worst one.
December 10, 2016
As I walk out of the theatre. I begin to shake my head and wonder what happened here. Yes this is a fun popcorn action flix and sometimes you need a movie like this to just get rid of the stress by watching stuff blow up. But then you start to think about it. This is Die Hard this is John McClane a Character that is well loved and supposed to be respected and cheered for. But then we get this. The Video Game Die Hard. Now again I know Die Hard Movies are not Oscar worthy movies (well Maybe the first one had a chance) But this one with all the action seemed to pushed and forced. I never really connected with John and John Jr. They tried at the end right before the big battle them trying to connect but there was really no feeling, no chemistry, No ok lets go kick some ass Dad!!! Nothing to make you feel excited. So far I'm only talking about Father & Son. not even how bad the plot is! They forced it down your throat! No development, No explanation why they are really doing this (over then a couple of cheap lines that really don't explain why the CIA would truly care)! I liked this movie because I was happy to see John McClane. But I'm unhappy seeing where this franchise is going. We need one more movie with John McTiernan the Original Director and Roderick Thorp the Original Author of the book to write an inspired screenplay and give us one last real story and hurrah!!! Then end it for good!!!
½ December 7, 2016
A pathetic excuse for a Die Hard movie.
December 1, 2016
As an action film, it's enjoyably bad. As a Die Hard film, its a disappointment.
November 20, 2016
Not a great film. Not worthy of the Die Hard name. The driving scene was great but that's all.
November 10, 2016
This is, hands down, the worst Die Hard film in the entire Die Hard franchise, which has had a pretty good run without a bad movie to weigh it down until now. This film doesn't even feel like a Die Hard film at most points. I mean sure there's reappearing cast members and characters, but the only one who's actually trying is Bruce Willis and I, honestly, feel bad for him since he's trying way too hard for a film that's so obviously a flop that everyone else new it, but I guess he just enjoys playing John McClane so much that he'll have fun with it no matter what. But, besides that, there's no Die Hard qualities in it at all. There's no memorable villain, story/easy to follow story, realistic action (good action for that matter), and no sense of endangerment. Reason why is because John McClane is basically a superhero in this movie. He's never physically nor mentally scarred by anything in this movie which, in all the previous films, he was. So I deeply recommend you not to see this and if you do you'll see and you'll learn that, however improbable it seemed, it's possible to make a crappy Die Hard movie. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go try and erase this shit excuse of a movie from my memory.
October 25, 2016
Twenty-five years after making his now infamous pledge to never do a second Die Hard movie, Bruce Willis has once again reprised his role as Detective John McClane for a fifth installment in the legendary series.

This time around, McClane finds himself out of his depths in the former USSR while trying to rescue his son, Jack (played by Aussie Jai Courtney), who wound up on the wrong side of the law after gunning down a Moscow crime boss.

John and Jack's relationship has always been strained and the pair hasn't spoken in years. John has long suspected his tearaway son was a drug dealer due to his lack of employment or subsequent need for financial assistance.

However, when the courthouse that is set to host Jack's trial explodes and a gang of machinegun wielding Russian mobsters starts wreaking havoc in the streets, our hero quickly learns that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. His son is a spook, a CIA operative, and neckdeep in a volatile mission that could spell of the end of the world if he fails to complete it.

When John gets in the way, he gets caught in the middle of it and has to join forces with his offspring and ... well, you know the rest.

While it is undoubtedly an enjoyable film, A Good Day to Die Hard lacks the gravitas of its predecessors.

Director John Moore has tried desperately to return the series to "its former glory", making countless references to the original and adopting a visual styling which was almost pure John McTiernan. The problem for me was that he seemed to be trying to fix something that wasn't broken. The universe of the series has expanded far beyond the ill-fated building in LA and subsequently foregone its last tenuous shreds of realism.

It is now perfectly acceptable for our hero to "kill a helicopter with a car" because he's out of bullets or to surf a crumbling freeway as it's blown apart by an F18. Moore seemed content on bringing the series back down a notch from where it was is Die Hard 4.0, focusing more heavily on the storyline and characters rather than the shoot'em up, blow'em up stuff we all went there for.

The action sequences were impeccable - the congested car chase through Moscow one of the best in recent memory - but they were too few and far between. The storyline was good, the way they tied real life disasters in was extremely clever, but it just wasn't terribly exciting. So much of the film revolved around intrigue when the punchline was bleating obvious from the get-go.

I didn't like Courtney as Jack McClane. His performance was rigid, wooden even, and he lacked the essential charisma to carry off the role. He also had zero chemistry with Willis, which made their scenes together seem more like rigmarole than fuel for the narrative's dramatic engine. He certainly wasn't in the same league as McClane's last two off-siders (Justin Long and Samuel L. Jackson).

At the end of the day though, Die Hard is like any other action franchise, be it Lethal Weapon, Rocky, Rambo, Terminator or even Dirty Harry. We know the sequels will never give us the same level of excitement as the original did but the reason we watch them is because we love the heroes and the universe.

The Verdict: If you want to just catch up with Detective John McClane again and watch on while he gleefully shoots bad guys, blows stuff up and causes shenanigans then check it out. Just readjust your expectations from Die hard with a vengeance.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age