A Good Day To Die Hard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Good Day To Die Hard Reviews

June 23, 2018
nothing is as good as 1, better than 2 & 3, but not as good as 4
½ June 19, 2018
Terrible movie. There is little to no story to drive the action. We get a couple lines from a couple characters, then 30 minutes of action and this repeats throuout the movie. In order for me to care about what is going on, I need more substance.
½ April 30, 2018
So we've come down to this... we finally come to a "Die Hard" film that is so bad it literally disrespects the legacy it brought onto the cinema. "A Good Day to Die Hard" is a piece shit that doesn't deserve any rating or any acknowledgement whatsoever. It deserves to be buried next to those ET video games that no one ever loved. Two hours of my life wasted that I will never get back.

0/5 stars
½ April 13, 2018
a spate of impressive, but mindless, stunts foments the film resembling more of a demolition derby advertisement with little focus on the characters, rather than a decent film.
½ April 2, 2018
Nope. This is Bruce Willis saying "Just write me a damm check and let's get this over with"
February 13, 2018
A Good Day to Die Hard brought back the much loved franchise in the dullest and most lifeless way possible.
February 8, 2018
God awful, to say the least. Where's the John McClane I remember? Not here, that's for sure.
January 26, 2018
I feel somewhat blasphemous giving a poor review for a movie from such an outstanding series, but this one was definitely a fly in the ointment for the Die Hard franchise.
½ January 12, 2018
I tried watching this movie. Couldn't make it through to the end.
January 10, 2018
Nostalgic, but not good.
½ December 24, 2017
This film is just offensive.
December 23, 2017
I love A Good Day To Die Hard thought it was a fun Die Hard Movie that is why i have all 5 Die Hard Movies on DVD
December 14, 2017
Finally a die hard to hate on, it was so bad and cringe.
½ November 11, 2017
One of the worst movies ever
October 16, 2017
Bruce Willis may be a welcome return, but the vague and uninteresting plotting and incoherent direction, not to mention weak action all but ruin this Die Hard entry.
½ October 4, 2017
Come out to the movies... We'll get together... Have a few laughs...

It's a "Die Hard" movie in which John McClane's presence is entirely unnecessary. He has no character arc, and he doesn't directly effect the story in any real way.
October 3, 2017
Three stars. Not quite as solid as it's predecessor Live Free or Die Hard but a decent watch.
½ September 24, 2017
Every thing about this movie is wrong. The character is wrong, the script is wrong, the action is wrong, the direction is wrong, the editing is wrong, the cinematography is wrong. It somehow manages to be the most convoluted yet completely generic action movies ever. What the hell were fox thinking when they gave one of the most beloved action franchises to a bad director and an even worse writer? This is one of the worst action movies ever made and a complete insult to John McClane.
½ September 21, 2017
A pretty offensive attempt to just get some money by creating terribly cheap action sequences that are essentially just CGI with Bruce Willis phoning in a heartless lazy performance based off of a heartless lazy script with a convoluted uninteresting plot.
August 17, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, this week we review A Good Day To Die Hard, the fifth in the Die Hard franchise. And Im sorry to say it is probably the worst in the series.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, this series is running on fumes. Die Hard should be renamed Die Already. But out of respect for the quality of the predecessors in this series, well review this flic. The hero story is actually not as bad as the movie.

GREG: Well in this installment, Bruce Willis comes back as John McClane and hes in search of his son who is always getting into trouble. This time Jack (the son, played by Jai Courtney) has gotten himself into a Russian prison and John has to get him out. One thing leads to another and they are running from bad guys who want to kidnap a Russian defector.

SCOTT: In any Die Hard movie, we need McClane to rescue loved ones from bad guys with eastern European accents. Here McClane learns that his son Jack is actually a CIA agent who is trying to rescue a Russian billionaire named Komarov from corrupt Russian officials. McClaine inadvertently foils his sons plans and must spend the remainder of the movie trying to atone for his actions while also trying to mend the broken relationship he has with his son. Greg, what your take on the set-up of this story?

GREG: Its a far-fetched plot, but we knew what we were getting in for when we paid for a Die Hard ticket. In other movies, McClane has the excuse that hes a cop. So, he can do things like commandeer a civilians truck. But when he does it in Russia, hes blatantly breaking the law (not to mention that he assaulted the driver when he did it). And there are other huge plot holes. Like the scene where Jack is in jail and the bad guys bomb a courtroom to bust the defector out - and Jack takes custody of the defector as if he knew what the bad guys had planned. Absorbing this takes more than simple suspension of disbelief.

SCOTT: We know that all heroes must move from the safe, familiar world into the dangerous, unfamiliar world. Because Die Hard is a repeating series, McClane now feels right at home in that not-so-unfamiliar world. Thats a problem; heroes shouldnt be so comfortable when confronted with impossible life-threatening jams. His son Jack, however, is clearly out of his element and has to rely on dad. In this way we see McClane evolving from a Hero character into the role of Mentor in this series.

GREG: Scott, I think McClane is cast in the special world of CIA ops. Theres even a point in the movie where Jack chides his father: Youre out of your depth, John. What we observe is that Jack is a sort of screw up as a burnable asset to the CIA. He had a role to play and hes missed the mark - he loses the defector to the bad guys and he gives up. This is where John comes in as the Mentor. John throws his sons defeat in his face and tells him to gather up his dolls and go home. Then John helps Jack push through his defeat and create a plan to retrieve the defector. And this is where the movie goes from sublime to the ridiculous. The bad guys all run to Chernobyl where the father and son have to work together to fight a common foe.

SCOTT: Greg, as weve said many times, the villain has to be as strong a character as the hero. Unfortunately, these villains are all cardboard cut-out, Hollywood stereotypes of mean Russians. To be fair, this is not a villain-centered movie. Its a passing-of-the-torch movie, a sort of family buddy-cop story. Bruce Willis is looking as grizzled and as geezerly as ever, and yet he still manages to fly through plate glass windows and plummet hundreds of feet onto concrete with hardly a scratch. After each scene were left wondering how someone so grandfatherly can avoid breaking a hip. Is Jai Courtney (as Jack) being groomed as the heir-apparent to Willis in this series? Only time will tell.

GREG: I think youve seen through their devious plot! Theres not a lot to this movie. Unlike the first installment, this is mindless explosions and stunt effects. I cant recommend anyone take the time to watch A Good Day To Die Hard. I give it 2 out of 5 Reels and 1 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Hero:

SCOTT: Greg, I agree with you that this movie was devoid of imagination and depth. Although we enjoy seeing Bruce Willis mugging for the camera while he faces (seemingly) imminent death, there is no suspense here at all. He knows that we know that he knows that the good guys will prevail. So like you, the movie earns 2 out of 5 Reels. But Im going to disagree with you about the hero story. There is a semi-interesting changing of the guard story here, with a hero evolving into a mentor and a young naive kid maturing into the hero who will take his dads place. The hero story isnt a failure -- its a solidly mediocre 3 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Hero:

GREG: Ok, Scott. Have it your way. I still say two bad heroes dont add up to one good one. Id much rather look at The Three Stooges than watch A Good Day to Die Hard again. Yuk Yuk Yuk!