A Good Day To Die Hard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Good Day To Die Hard Reviews

July 2, 2017
I saw this movie in the theaters when it came out and at first, I thought it was good, but I needed to see it a second time to figure out if I really liked it or not, and when I saw it again, I really enjoyed it.

Who does not like Bruce Willis? I mean, he has done some movies I am not a fan of, but John McClane is his best character and this movie mostly shows that. He comes into the situation trying to find his son and figure out what has happened. Turns out, his son is a spy and they both have to work together in order to stop World War 3!! So I mean, he still acts as he has in the 4 other Die Hard movies!! He gives you that feeling of relating to him as a cop and as a father and that is why we love John McClane. Yes, he did become a big time super hero in the last film and this one but he is still the character that we all love. Rating 4/5

Jai Courtney does a great job as John McClane's son. He does not have a good relationship with his father and he does not want his father to help him on his mission. But they do work together because they have no choice, and through the film, his son begins to trust his father again and it shows that he does love his dad, but does not know how to show it. They both show great chemistry on screen together and you could believe that they could kick some butt together!! Rating 4/5

Now lets get into the directing, John Moore has had some bad films. The Omen remake and Flight of the Phoenix were just bad movies period! But I enjoyed the Max Payne movie and I thought Behind Enemy Lines was a good action flick with good sequences so he has done some good work. There is no question that this was his moment to shine and I think he did a good job, not a great job, but it was good. He did miss some mistakes that were made in the film, like when McClane swipes the card for the elevator scene, the card is not slided correctly and it shows. Also, when the main villain calls his daughter, the numbers are showing on the phone as to dial the number, so he could not be talking to her at all. That is not good editing, however, he did a great job with the action sequences and angles. True their was some CGI, but he mostly used practical effects and I am really glad he did. The last movie was too much CGI to me so they went old school and the car sequence was the best car chase I have ever seen!! Definitely worth watching. The feeling was very different then the previous installments, but I like that part of the movie because it was not the same as the others and it stands alone. I might be the only one that liked the shaky cam, but it made it feel real, so good job their Mr. Moore. Overall, could have done a few things better, but John Moore did a good job. Rating 3/5 for Directing

The screenplay was the weakest area of the movie. I mean, a file as a big part of the premise!! You could do much better than that Skip Woods!! The villains were not very impressive. Given away to early in the movie and they should have had just one villain that got help along the way, but 4 main villains is to many and they were not very strong willed. They also lost some of the magic from the previous movies, good chemistry between Bruce and Jai, but McClane and Jack should have been banged up way more than they were so they have to be more realistic in the 6th movie if they make it. Rating for the villain and screenplay 0.5/5

To conclude this long review, I did enjoy this movie!! It did have some bad moments, and the plot was the weakest of all the die hard films!! The villains were also the weakest in the whole series. It is not up to par as the original, the third or fourth movies, but I do believe it beat Die Hard 2. Bruce will always be John McClane and he might be a super hero in this movie, but that character still is here so I do not mind that much if he is a super hero, especially after all he has been through with the past 4 movies. Jai Courtney was pretty good, so props to him. If you like hard core action with great effects and if you are a Die Hard fan, then see this movie because it really is a fun 98 minutes!

Rating 3.5/5
½ May 24, 2017
disappointing does anyone remember die hard 1 nothing about this is anything like that on ever sense poor uneven narrative dull action more bullets than dialog it's just get chance and chance back with his son who pulls a gun out of know where in one scene but then again many 5th instalment doesn't really end rocky 5
½ May 18, 2017
5/14/2017 (2): It was entertaining, but not near as good as any of the others.
May 10, 2017
Whilst not as quite bad as some people make out you really get the sense that Willis is purely there for the paycheck this time.

A ridiculously contrived plot combined with a ropey script and action that jumps the shark with wild abandon, it's amazing this ever got green lit.

It's not utterly awful but it is kind of heading in that direction.
½ April 27, 2017
Awesome action movie. Weak story. I still loved it.
½ March 24, 2017
I've watched each previous Die Hard movie a minimum of 3 times, but I couldn't even finish this one. So sad. Die Hard 5: A Good Day to watch another movie !
½ March 23, 2017
Terrible, awful to no plot, bad acting, cheesy parts, does not hold a candle to any other of the Die Hard movies.
March 2, 2017
I now why people hate this movie but it's ok to me as a movie
½ February 23, 2017
F#%k this movie!!!! That's all I can say as a Die Hard fan without my blood boiling.
February 9, 2017
Nearly destroyed the franchise. Awful plot and non sensical over the top action. Sadly couldn't wait for this film to be over. It was just awful and as a fan of the series, I was so disappointed.
½ January 19, 2017
Come out to the movies... We'll get together... Have a few laughs...
½ January 16, 2017
This movie made me very sad
½ January 4, 2017
Very cool action movie, horrible Die Hard film. very one-sided, no character building, no one knows what's happening the whole time. But, action scenes are awesome and John McLean still kicks some ass.
½ December 31, 2016
A good day to please just please stop now.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 11, 2016
The last one was the best one since the first one, but this one is by far the worst one.
December 10, 2016
As I walk out of the theatre. I begin to shake my head and wonder what happened here. Yes this is a fun popcorn action flix and sometimes you need a movie like this to just get rid of the stress by watching stuff blow up. But then you start to think about it. This is Die Hard this is John McClane a Character that is well loved and supposed to be respected and cheered for. But then we get this. The Video Game Die Hard. Now again I know Die Hard Movies are not Oscar worthy movies (well Maybe the first one had a chance) But this one with all the action seemed to pushed and forced. I never really connected with John and John Jr. They tried at the end right before the big battle them trying to connect but there was really no feeling, no chemistry, No ok lets go kick some ass Dad!!! Nothing to make you feel excited. So far I'm only talking about Father & Son. not even how bad the plot is! They forced it down your throat! No development, No explanation why they are really doing this (over then a couple of cheap lines that really don't explain why the CIA would truly care)! I liked this movie because I was happy to see John McClane. But I'm unhappy seeing where this franchise is going. We need one more movie with John McTiernan the Original Director and Roderick Thorp the Original Author of the book to write an inspired screenplay and give us one last real story and hurrah!!! Then end it for good!!!
½ December 7, 2016
A pathetic excuse for a Die Hard movie.
December 1, 2016
As an action film, it's enjoyably bad. As a Die Hard film, its a disappointment.
November 20, 2016
Not a great film. Not worthy of the Die Hard name. The driving scene was great but that's all.