A Good Day To Die Hard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Good Day To Die Hard Reviews

January 7, 2016
You'd think that by 2013 Hollywood would have figured out that there's simply no room for the old action films, but apparently somebody actually wanted a "Die Hard 5". I can think of so many reasons why a fifth Die Hard film was a terrible idea to begin with, and most of them exemplify a central problem - Die Hard as a film franchise was only good for a few meritorious films, and then it hibernated for over a decade, and immediately lost steam as soon as the producers tried reviving it. Essentially, Die Hard was a film franchise that died, and was quickly forgotten, and the producers honestly thought they could just bring it back without even trying to make it relevant to a newer generation of cinemagoers. Needless to say, they failed spectacularly, and right from the beginning it's painfully obvious that they couldn't hide from that. Even the title sequence tries using trendy graphics to make gullible viewers think that this is a next-generation Die Hard film, but really it's just a Steven Seagal movie with Bruce Willis filling Seagal's shoes. Making matters worse is a clearly uninspired story plagued by wildly liberal use of outdated action film clichés, and an extremely frail script. This could be forgiven in a low budget straight-to-DVD production, but for a film intended for cinematic release, there should have been higher standards. Despite this being a by-the-numbers Die Hard film, the most jarring aspect of the film, believe it or not, is how much of an insufferable jerk John McClane became in this film. If you loved him in the classic Die Hard, get ready to hate him as he shouts at a Russian man because he can't understand what he's saying. Is that the action hero audiences came to love in the late 1980's? Also, he and his son are quite horrible to each other, but then again, I highly doubt that any of the actors playing them had any interest in the plot. As for McClane's son, who is played incompetently by Jai Courtney, his character doesn't surprise me that much. In fact, one could say that the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. The other characters simply blend into the background due to bad acting and even worse writing. Another thing I should talk about is the film's poor presentation. For a film that apparently needed an excessive $92 million to make, it looks absolutely appalling. There's a noticeable absence of colour here, to the point that most scenes look like they were coloured with a bad mix of grey and blue. The production values are beyond awful, and it just makes me wonder how the producers spent their money. Did it go towards marketing, makeup, drugs? It seriously begs an explanation, since I find it hard to believe that a project this expensive looks so cheap. Even the action scenes look badly done, to the point that it's extremely obvious that the producers were hoping to compensate for a badly written plot with guns and explosions, as if the producers had no idea that 1980's are long gone. Overall, it's definitely the worst Die Hard film ever made, but somehow it goes beyond just being that. In fact, I'd say this is undoubtedly one of the worst action films of all time. In fact, we'd probably be better off if the Die Hard franchise would simply stay dead.
January 7, 2016
Bruce Willis will forever be John McClain this wasn't your traditional Die Hard but I enjoyed and will continue to watch any Die Hard movie Bruce Willis is willing to make
½ January 1, 2016
Pretty shocking. Bruce Willis doesn't appear to be playing the same character anymore and there isn't a single character that is in anyway likeable. What exactly was supposed to be impressive about the action sequences? The stupid helicoptor scene in Diehard 0.4 appears to have inspired more of the same rubbish. Verdict ... gratuitous and irrelevent tripe.
½ January 1, 2016
I loved the first four die hard films, I would rank them 1,4,2,3 . I wish this one was never made . It was pointless , there was no main antagonist , the chemistry was horrible . There will always be only 4 die hard films in my opinion
½ December 31, 2015
I can't wait! It will be our Valentine's Day date!
½ December 30, 2015
I like to pretend this movie doesn't exist.
December 28, 2015
Jai Courtney does a lot to save it, but it's a bit blaze compared to the other four.
½ December 27, 2015
Huge fan of the franchise. Walked out of the theater on this one.
½ December 19, 2015
Not as good as 1,2,and3...
Seen in the second time , let's say different then 1,2 or 3 ...but liked it more this time , i guese i was more awake , a speciale Chemistry between father ans son Mc.Clane
December 1, 2015
The most impressive thing about this film is the insane car chase scenes in the beginning but apart from that just seemed pointless & almost forced - not to mention seriously late coming in this franchise.
November 28, 2015
A few things I liked in this installment of the die hard: bombings, chases, girl, smart alecking, plosions, etc. The story could have flown better but the rendering was a bit formulaic, even awkward at times. I don't like the russians being portrayed as villains by americanos anymore. It looks like the villains are the americanos, including the CIA. The story, of course, made little sense and the laws of physics were not respected. Btw, whoever invents a gas that eliminates radioactivity should be billionaire selling it instead of stealing uranium. Overall, the film is tolerable with some good action.
½ November 14, 2015
F#%k this movie its as bad as Fant4stic and is a movie I hate so much it raises my blood pressure. It's worse than the Star Wars prequels & Indiana Jones 4.
November 11, 2015
It's a good day to call it a day. Willis isn't even playing McClane anymore, he's just playing himself. The over the top action is still fun out of context but the film's plot is too contrived, simple and silly.
½ November 8, 2015
Yes it's the least valuable of the series but not totally worthless
½ October 24, 2015
I still can't belive I actually payed money to see this shitfest of a film. It's neither funny nor thrilling. No charme, no story, no character development. Fuck you movie!
October 20, 2015
To me, it's not an abomination to cinema, but it is NOT a good Die Hard film. It had an interesting plot for the first 20 minutes, but just became too convoluted for its own good. All I can say is; Bruce Willis is awesome!!! But his son....f**k Jai Courtney. That guy CANNOT ACT!
October 17, 2015
The first time I didn't love a Die Hard movie
October 14, 2015
If this film didn't have Die Hard on its title, it would have been a decent action flick. But as a Die Hard movie, it mostly fails. For one, too much CG. Two, no part of me buys that Jai Courtney is McClane's kid. There are a few good scenes, but not enough for a Die Hard film. The script isn't very good, either. very sub par. Hopefully the next one is back to being Die Hard.
½ October 12, 2015
First Bruce Willis fought a skyscraper, then he fought an airplane, then he fought all of New York city, then he fought the internet, but now he fights his most deadly opponent: his own boredom.
½ October 12, 2015
Easily the worst of the Die Hards. An almost transparent thin script, cliche communication between the characters, and overboard, unbelievable action. I love John McClane, and would like to like Jack McClane, but honestly, this was shit!