A Letter to Momo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Letter to Momo Reviews

July 19, 2016
This is an AMAZING movie. If you watch get ready for emotions to run rampant. 5/5 stars
April 15, 2016
Very plane enemy movie night story nothing very exciting plain and simple nice animation good if you like to watch animation.
½ February 22, 2016
While A Letter to Momo can feel occasionally slow at times (especially in the first 40 minutes), the film soon picks up considerably once the goblins are introduced as they are arguably the best part about this film. Seeing their shenanigans throughout the course of the film was downright hilarious at certain points (my favourite being the dance sequence). The humour is totally off the wall, but it really works and the goblins were very likeable characters.

I also admired the amount of detail that was put in drawing the mannerisms and facial expressions of the characters, as we do see a bit more movement than most of the expressions from Ghibli protagonists.

What was also great about the film was the amount of emotion the narrative had, particularly in the final act as you really felt the connection between Momo and her mother & father.

Overall, A Letter to Momo is a solid coming-of-age Anime film with plenty of emotion, laughs and great animation to boot. I'm looking forward to buying the Blu-Ray and re-watching the film.
January 19, 2016
beautifully drawn. the storyline doesn't make the most sense, but is fun & enjoyable enough. (:
August 29, 2015
A unique piece of art! Visually beautiful and with a powerful story to tell.
May 23, 2015
So much potential in this concept. Unfortunately, it's largely one big anime cliche. It's passable, but a letdown.
½ April 2, 2015
Sweet and a little sad Japanese anime. Feels like Miyazaki-san.
March 23, 2015
This is a wonderful heart warming tale that is done to chilli standards. If you want to get your girlfriend into anime, here's your movie.
February 17, 2015
Pretty much what you would expect. Slow paced and attempts at deep emotion and humor, but a lot of it falls flat. It was enjoyable once, but only for the hardcore anime fans. Everyone else can pass.
February 3, 2015
What a shame, the incredible visuals are brought down by a very poorly written second half and three supernatural characters devoid of any charm. Even with a few emotional moments and, for the most part, an interesting main character, I would not recommend this for anyone other than my animator friends.
½ January 29, 2015
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, "A Letter to Momo" is unquestionably lovely to look at, but viewers may not be able to shake the feeling that they've seen much of it before, and done better.
January 17, 2015
Whoever would have thought that the director behind the gloomy and dark JIN-ROH: THE WOLF BRIGADE could turn out such a lovely, heartwarming, and sometimes funny animated delight? As it turned out, though, this was a movie that director Hiroyuki Okiura had always wanted to make. More than seven years in development, A LETTER TO MOMO is gorgeous to look at -- richly painted backdrops providing a peaceful Japanese island inhabited by friendly folks, youths who dive off bridges, and festivals involving straw boats. Better still is the storyline, which, although familiar at times, is told with an honesty and sincerity which makes one wonder if Okiura had been taking lessons from Hayao Miyazaki's MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO. As with that movie, this story deals with a girl who encounters unusual creatures and takes a surprisingly melancholy turn in its second half. The stakes are darker here, though; introverted teenager Momo has recently lost her father after a falling out, with only an incomplete letter left from him. When Momo moves with her sickly mom to Shio Island, she is mortified to discover three gluttonous (and goofy) goblins haunting her attic. One looks very amphibian-like, another like Gollum, while the largest (and strongest) one looks like an ogre. These ghosts cannot be seen by grown-ups and harbor magic powers. Some may be put off by the slow pace of the story, but anyone else should enjoy this one. I highly recommend it, both for animation buffs and watchers of sincere family drama. The dubbing by NYAV Post is outstanding, as well, with young Amanda Pace turning in a fantastic performance as Momo in her acting debut and great support from veterans such as Stephanie Sheh and Bob Bergen.
½ December 7, 2014
Endearing, beautiful, moving, well-crafted and even stunning, A Letter to Momo has overly silly humor at times, but it is a terrific movie thanks to amazing and well written script, incredibly heartwarming ending, emotionally resonant approach, very good character development, wonderful score, great animation and terrific mix of supernatural and realistic aspects. It is simply a delight that can produce overwhelming emotional response and it is undoubtedly one of the finest anime films recently.
October 29, 2014
It was slow at first but then it really picked up. The monkey God was the best!
September 27, 2014
Miyazaki is clearly an influence to the world here, but the truly beautiful animation is bogged down by an unbelievably slow pace. While the three goblin/monster/creatures are highly entertaining and full of inspired life, the human characters, who we spend most of the film with, really aren't very interesting at all. The 80 minutes of greatness are enough of a reason to stream/fast forward through.
September 10, 2014
When I read a critique comparing it to "Spirited Away", I wanted to see it right away. And to be honest I wasn't disappointed. One of the best movies I have ever saw. Too good to pass on it. Worth multiple watch.
September 7, 2014
A nice fun movie about a girl and her goblins. Suffered from a bit of a jumpy ending, but overall I enjoyed it.
August 15, 2014
Tänkte ofta på Spirited away :P
Men denna var mer... familjedjup i vissa stunder.. fin rullle... :)
August 13, 2014
Not as far out as Spirited away, but still really good.
July 29, 2014
Weird. That's all I need to say. Weird.