A Liar's Autobiography - The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Liar's Autobiography - The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman Reviews

366weirdmovies
February 20, 2013
Ex-Python Graham Chapman reads from his fictional autobiography, with a dozen different animators illustrating scenes in vastly different styles; topics covered include his battle with alcoholism and with sitting on people's faces in all sorts of places. The definition of uneven, with flashes of Pythonesque WTFiness lighting up long, meandering dull stretches; specialized audiences (you know who you are) may dig it.
June 26, 2013
Utterly bizarre and random biography of the late Graham Chapman, full of alcohol and homosexuality. He'd have loved it.
½ December 1, 2012
Ingenious and rather silly! Not only is that how one can describe this movie. But, it is also how you can describe Graham Chapman. Absurdly genius animations and narration from the man himself. Give fans of the late-Python, a glimpse into the mind and life of the beloved comedian.
½ March 19, 2014
To be frank, I wish this was more entertaining, but it is too unnecessary. Some of the caricatures of Chapman are unique, but I wish it would've gotten away from that Jib-Jab look in some sequences and have some more eloquence in the animation. It's too overtly computer-generated. And there are some sequences that are terribly uncomfortable to watch. Just stick with how Terry Gilliam used Graham Chapman in the "Flying Circus" animated bits (naughty as it was allowed).
½ December 31, 2013
First if you are not a fan of Python humor steer clear, But I found this movie interesting in much the same way I found Liquid Television interesting. Also the production company seemed to know that this was going to be a bit much for some to handle for a long period of time so they kept it at a pretty responsible length.
½ October 18, 2013
Eh, honestly I'd almost give it three stars because of the source material but it's a disappointing movie... I feel like there was too much over compensation with lame visual gags and the director injecting his own sense of humor (which I felt missed way more often than landed).
March 6, 2013
Its wacky animated antics are fun to look at, but I'm not sure anyone other than die hard Monty Python fans will really care about this one.
November 12, 2012
This was not much of a comedy. Maybe if I had expected a documentary about Graham Chapman instead of a Monty Python kind of movie, I would have actually enjoyed this flick more. To its credit, I did enjoy watching Graham Chapman's story unfold with the many different types of animation it featured. Felt like I was watching the entire Adult Swim lineup in 85 minutes. My grade: D
½ November 15, 2012
This animated extravaganza is an adaptation of Monty Python's Graham Chapman's book of the same name, which consists of many lies concerning his own life story. It is brought to life by several animation studios working in unique and wonderful styles, with Chapman's own voice providing the narration (taken from the audiobook recorded 3 before he died), and by most of the remaining Pythons (Eric Idle for some silly reason or another, could not be convinced to join in). It is a wonderful tribute to the deceased comedian, as it is artsy and silly and fun. It certainly doesn't ever reach the comedic heights of Python's past, but it is very fun for fans of both Python and unique animation styles.
½ May 3, 2015
And the troupe does it again, portraying their crude sense of humor almost completely in animation this time.
January 3, 2015
Even as a Monty Python fan, this feels pointless in its existence and excessive in terms of style.
½ August 12, 2014
It tries a little too hard to be 'wacky'
August 9, 2014
Wanted to like it more than i did
August 8, 2014
Excellent animated reimagining of the life of a comic talent.
April 28, 2014
Based upon Graham Chapman's A Liar's Autobiography, Volume VI (1980), which was a fictionalised take on his life, this animated take was directed by Bill Jones, Jeff Simpson and Ben Timlett, who were behind the documentary Monty Python: Almost the Truth (Lawyers Cut). It's visually striking, but it's more surreal than funny. Narrated by Graham Chapman, taken from an audio reading of his book recorded in 1986, it tells us of his "life", his childhood growing up with his father (Michael Palin) and mother (Terry Jones). :P How Chapman found out he was gay, and the trouble he had coming out to his parents and people he knew, and how he gave up his career as a doctor to go into comedy after a chance encounter with the Queen Mother (Palin again), and getting work in TV with David Frost (John Cleese), but when he started Monty Python, he descended into alcoholism, but he beat the booze and went to live in Hollywood as a tax dodge. It has some brilliantly animated scenes, but the joke that it's a fictionalised biopic of Chapman's own life, (and knows it), does work against it sometimes, especially if you want to hear some true facts. But it does have some pretty memorable sequences, some sexual and some violent, oh and Cameron Diaz appearing as Sigmund Freud... :P
September 19, 2013
Interesting at times, funny occasionally, nothing special though
March 27, 2014
Epäonnistunut yritys tehdä "epätavallinen" elämänkertadokumentti. Näin lyhyeksi elokuvaksi sisältää yllättävän paljon tyhjäkäyntiä. Ei uponnut edes vaikka olen kovan Monty Python fani.
½ March 19, 2014
March 13, 2014
I'm a huge Monty Python fan but this is not a Monty Python film, despite it's title. It's more an experimental film created with audio clips and snippets from Graham Chapman interviews about his life and career with the comedy troupe.
The animation style isn't like the Gilliam illustrations from the popular Python films ad this is where the film suffers.
As far as experimental films go, this isn't bad. I just found it less than Python-esque.
½ February 5, 2014
Quite an oddball biopic but a very fitting tribute to a British comedy legend.