A Liar's Autobiography - The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Liar's Autobiography - The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman Reviews

½ May 3, 2015
And the troupe does it again, portraying their crude sense of humor almost completely in animation this time.
January 10, 2015
Even as a Monty Python fan, this feels pointless in its existence and excessive in terms of style.
½ August 12, 2014
It tries a little too hard to be 'wacky'
August 9, 2014
Wanted to like it more than i did
August 8, 2014
Excellent animated reimagining of the life of a comic talent.
April 28, 2014
Based upon Graham Chapman's A Liar's Autobiography, Volume VI (1980), which was a fictionalised take on his life, this animated take was directed by Bill Jones, Jeff Simpson and Ben Timlett, who were behind the documentary Monty Python: Almost the Truth (Lawyers Cut). It's visually striking, but it's more surreal than funny. Narrated by Graham Chapman, taken from an audio reading of his book recorded in 1986, it tells us of his "life", his childhood growing up with his father (Michael Palin) and mother (Terry Jones). :P How Chapman found out he was gay, and the trouble he had coming out to his parents and people he knew, and how he gave up his career as a doctor to go into comedy after a chance encounter with the Queen Mother (Palin again), and getting work in TV with David Frost (John Cleese), but when he started Monty Python, he descended into alcoholism, but he beat the booze and went to live in Hollywood as a tax dodge. It has some brilliantly animated scenes, but the joke that it's a fictionalised biopic of Chapman's own life, (and knows it), does work against it sometimes, especially if you want to hear some true facts. But it does have some pretty memorable sequences, some sexual and some violent, oh and Cameron Diaz appearing as Sigmund Freud... :P
April 24, 2014
Interesting at times, funny occasionally, nothing special though
March 27, 2014
Epäonnistunut yritys tehdä "epätavallinen" elämänkertadokumentti. Näin lyhyeksi elokuvaksi sisältää yllättävän paljon tyhjäkäyntiä. Ei uponnut edes vaikka olen kovan Monty Python fani.
½ March 19, 2014
To be frank, I wish this was more entertaining, but it is too unnecessary. Some of the caricatures of Chapman are unique, but I wish it would've gotten away from that Jib-Jab look in some sequences and have some more eloquence in the animation. It's too overtly computer-generated. And there are some sequences that are terribly uncomfortable to watch. Just stick with how Terry Gilliam used Graham Chapman in the "Flying Circus" animated bits (naughty as it was allowed).
March 13, 2014
I'm a huge Monty Python fan but this is not a Monty Python film, despite it's title. It's more an experimental film created with audio clips and snippets from Graham Chapman interviews about his life and career with the comedy troupe.
The animation style isn't like the Gilliam illustrations from the popular Python films ad this is where the film suffers.
As far as experimental films go, this isn't bad. I just found it less than Python-esque.
½ February 26, 2014
Quite an oddball biopic but a very fitting tribute to a British comedy legend.
February 23, 2014
Sadly lacks the monty python art style.
½ December 31, 2013
First if you are not a fan of Python humor steer clear, But I found this movie interesting in much the same way I found Liquid Television interesting. Also the production company seemed to know that this was going to be a bit much for some to handle for a long period of time so they kept it at a pretty responsible length.
½ November 2, 2013
that was really damn weird, but it was nice to hear Mike and Terry again.
½ October 18, 2013
Eh, honestly I'd almost give it three stars because of the source material but it's a disappointing movie... I feel like there was too much over compensation with lame visual gags and the director injecting his own sense of humor (which I felt missed way more often than landed).
September 2, 2013
IT'S....very good and informative, if you're a fan of Python. If not you may want to pass on it.
June 26, 2013
Utterly bizarre and random biography of the late Graham Chapman, full of alcohol and homosexuality. He'd have loved it.
May 8, 2013
Not the greatest Python movie never seen. Not even close. Still the animation is very versatile with lots of styles being on display here and it serves the material in a good way. I actually dosed off during the movie but to my defense I 've been working all day. This "autobiography" has quite a bit of humour in it as one would expect and some harsher parts like Chapman's struggle with alcoholism which is presented in an excellent animation style. All in all it's nice to see such a movie in the year 2013. It's a daring movie, based on some recordings. with wild animation and it features the Python. Not bad. Also the "Sit on my face" song was absolutely charming.
April 24, 2013
This movie contains not a single mention of John Tomiczak, which might be surprising considering he was officially Chapman's adopted son. But, not so much considering he was actually someone Chapman started having sex with when he (Tomiczak) was 14 or younger...
April 2, 2013
While it was a nice touch to use audio recordings of Graham Chapman's narration made before he died, the film itself is a bit of a bore with the animation being hit and miss. The fact (or joke) that it's a "fictionalised" biography makes it difficult to become interested in it as a result.