A Little Bit Of Heaven Reviews

February 2, 2011
There is nothing even remotely heavenly about this romantic dramedy. Kate Hudson as Marley is a bland, often trivial character who's growth and emotional fortitude are always followed by pithy whining. Nothing truly dramatic is handled with any care, the bits trying to be charming are insufferable, the characters are weak, and the plot is beyond boring. For a film about a woman changing her ways of thinking about the world amidst a cancer diagnosis, there's no depth, no human empathy. It's just a silly little comedy trying to be bigger than it is and failing again and again. In the end what's the point of the entire film? Yes she reacts, she changes her love life, her relationships evolve, but because she's such a horribly written character no one cares. The film tries to make light of cancer without showing the real world repercussions of cancer treatment and slow decline into death, which loses any depth or reality.
July 9, 2012
Seriously people....why did you all dislike this movie so much? It was sweet, heartwarming, and just plain enjoyable. Granted, I adore Kate Hudson, and Gael Bernal, which is just a small part of why I found this movie very, very nice. The entire movie was very well done, really good cast, and had a sweet (but sad) storyline. A rather nicely made movie overall, in my opinion.
April 27, 2011
Life starts now.

Good movie! This film was ballsy in a number of ways, chief of which is in its treatment of a story about death without shirking from the nasty details of anticipation, and the inevitable execution. Many Hollywood films tend to cop out at the very last minute, but this one tackled it with a lot of dignity, and proved that one doesn't have to always compromise to do what gets reflected in real life. That, and Kate Hudson showing a lot of nerve in many scenes almost sans makeup, looking quite ghastly and pale as the story called for it. Written by Gren Wells, it's more about how one should approach life when given a death sentence, with the romance angle taking a back seat despite marketeers' efforts to skew this into a romantic comedy. And in some ways this film made me think a little bit more about mortality, if one were to be struck by a serious illness which was detected late and the treatment really being a bitch, would you want to go ahead with trying to get cured, or to live whatever is left to the fullest? Think about it!

Marley Corbett (Kate Hudson) is young, beautiful, and wildly funny, but she's afraid of opening herself up to true love and commitment. Though she uses her humor to prevent matters from getting serious, a life-changing visit to her doctor (Gael Garcia Bernal) sends both of them on an eye-opening adventure of mutual discovery, leading to revelations neither thought possible.
January 7, 2012
This was pretty average. I was a little disappointed with it, as I read a few good reviews, and, though it wasn't awful, it wasn't as good as it could have been either. I didn't really like the "heaven" bits - I thought it was a bit of a cop out. Sure, try and find some positives, but not make it seem like she's happy and all is okay in the end.
Kate Hudson is okay, she plays pretty much the same character as always. I at least give her points for trying to do something a little different, but I'm not sure it is entirely successful. I did like Gael Garcia Bernal, although seems he was slumming it a bit here.
All in all, a sad "feel good" movie about a young woman fighting cancer. Not an overly realistic film - I can't really recommend it or otherwise. I am sure some people will enjoy it, while some won't. I am on the fence with it. Didn't love or hate it.
October 22, 2011
Another "okay" type of movie. Though the ending is different. Like it is happy but in a sad way (if that makes sense... I can tell it doesn't). I didn't get one thing, if you're a dying person, what would be your first wish? Hmm.
½ November 26, 2011
This is a movie for certain type of audience... and I am definitely not that type. The story of Marley Corbett is hard to chew... she is a carefree woman with a promising career, great friends, and witty sense of humour... and one day she learns that she has terminal cancer. A young doctor, Dr. Goldstein, is deeply impressed and affected by the way Marley accepts the news of her fate with humour and dignity. From there, Marley and Julian find themselves falling in love, and doing their best to make the most of the time they have left.

I tried to find some positive points in this movie... and after long thinking maybe I can say that the last third of the movie was up to some standard... for the rest, the director Nicole Kassell and stars Kate Hudson and Gael García Bernal failed to impress. Flat, unrealistic and at moments boring...
July 8, 2012
This film is better than it looks as Kate Hudson is a sheer force if life. What happens to her is made all the more powerful because of her performance. It made me cry! The reactions of family and friends are incredibly realistic. The only bum note is Whoopi Goldberg...
½ August 21, 2013
Wow. Tearjerker... A sweet movie, bordering on depressing. You want to hate the lead for being so self-centered and rude - yet can't help but love and feel empathetic for her, given what she was going through... and *spoiler* she has a realization, makes amends and then dies "happily" and at peace in the end. Pretty cliche.
August 28, 2012
Depressing movie where Kate Hudson's character is dying. I didn't appreciate the sleazy jokes, language and lifestyle, but that's just me. Sometimes sad movies can be done so well that you can take away so much after watching them, but this didn't do much for me at all. There were a couple of redeeming things but mostly a downer for me.
July 30, 2012
oh this weepie made me cry and i love that it uses the old clouds n god thing like spencer tracy in 'a guy mnamed joe' or 'heaven knows mr allison' good job!
May 10, 2011
This movie takes a very sappy and feel good approach to dealing with terminal cancer. The appearance of Whoopi Goldberg was a nice addition. If you don't take your movies too seriously this one is worth a watch, but it has nothing significant to add to your life.
½ June 21, 2012
It's Kate Hudson as a woman dying from cancer and learning to live, live live! It's no more in depth and intriguing than the usual rom-com crap she's become known for. If anything needs to die a quick death it's the movie.
½ May 4, 2012
This movie needed to pick a side of the fence and build a house. Is it a romantic comedy about a free spirited girl looking for the right guy, or a touching film about a young woman dying of cancer and trying to do so with dignity. Sadly (for all of us!) it fails miserably on both counts.
April 3, 2012
The fact that it was so sad, surprised me. I sobbed like crazy. However, it was also funny. I liked it.
½ December 29, 2014
Can't say I disliked it. Don't regret watching it.
October 13, 2014
Sorry to hear that all of you didn't care for the movie- I personally love it. It's cute, heartfelt, and Kate Hudson is permanently perfect in almost any role. This movie is no exception. If you have the time, watch it!
September 12, 2014
Waste of time. The movie try's to combine too many elements and loses itself. It's not sure if it wants to be sentimental, romantic or comedy. The script is just plain horrible.
May 29, 2014
A Little Bit Of Heaven benefits heavily from Hudson's appeal but also from the stark realism. Sure the movie is predictable and oftentimes downright to cheesy to be true but it is extremely watchable(multiple times) and down to earth, something that can't be said of the vast majority of movies today. And Peter Dinklage, enough said.
½ May 23, 2014
Una pérdida de tiempo. En esta película nada es concreto.
May 15, 2014