A Matador's Mistress (Manolete) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Matador's Mistress (Manolete) Reviews

July 30, 2016
Tositapahtumiin perustuva rakkausdraama härkätaistelijasta. Miinukset siitä että en pysty katsomaan härkätaistelukohtauksia... o.O
½ December 26, 2013
Weak, boring and very-simple-plot. Matador meets girl bull kills matador... The-End...
½ December 9, 2013
never been a fan of Brody and even with him being a coke snorting drunk bull fighter still couldn't bare it turned it off after 20mins
August 26, 2013
Could not get into this movie -- though the original images of arenas filled with bullfighting fans are quite amazing.
March 27, 2013
Very slow and uninspiring movie about a bull fighter winning the affection of a woman.
½ December 10, 2012
Amazing! Wonderful soundtrack outstanding cast.
½ November 18, 2012
Melodrama based in the true romance between famous bullfighter "Manolete" and Lupe Sino, an actress with obscure reputation in Spain in times of the Franco regime. The film is a dramatization of a relationship that was discouraged by the establishment and by Manolete's family but that lasted several years until the tragic death of the torero in the bullfighting ring after the couple had a rough argument.
It is an acceptable film, it portrays the Spain of the 40s and the atmosphere of the dictatorship. In the minus side it is a movie full of clichés, the torero "married" to death, the pushy family, the metaphor between woman and bull... Plus it is strange to see a movie about toreros in English especially when it was partly financed by TVE and when 95% of the cast was Spanish (speaking English with a reasonable accent), indeed the only character that was English speaker was Adrian Brody. I have to say I have no complaints about the choice of actors; Brody's looks uncannily resemble Manolete's, stance, facial features and body shape... And Cruz is believable as a passionate mistress and unpopular match for the most famous matador of that time.
I really don't know much about these characters but I read somewhere that the depiction of their relationship is inaccurate and full of half truths, however perhaps we shouldn't look at it with historical eyes but just as a story of ill fated lovers. To me it needs more scenes, more of Lupe's political background, Franco's opposition and family disputes; we need more characters and more substance. It all feels a bit diluted, like they are cooking a soup but they don't have enough ingredients; it could have been a good film, but as is, it is just ok.
August 30, 2012
The legend of el matador Manolete is much more interesting than the movie.
It is slow and bored to death.
July 19, 2012
Very difficult to follow because the movie switches from present to flashback and back constantly with little hint where you are other than the front bumper on the car going from intact to hanging crooked.

My wife couldn't get "into" this movie because she thinks Adrien Brody is ugly as a mud fence and can't imagine anyone as strikingly beautiful as Penélope Cruz hooking up with him. I thought he was perfect for the role, though.
½ June 6, 2012
perfect scenes and colours and no plot
May 13, 2012
Adrien Brody vo sekoj film e fenomenalen
½ May 11, 2012
V?asih pa so tudi angleki prevodi naslovov filmov podobno trapasti kot nai. =)
March 16, 2012
well done period piece well acted and so nice 2 look at
½ February 1, 2012
This is a bit slow and not Brody's best, but it is watchable. The ending is horrible and very hard to watch.
January 20, 2012
beautiful.tragic but beautiful
January 1, 2012
It was good but it felt like it lacked a bit of content and I wasn't sold on the Brody's and Cruz's characters' passionate love-affair. Toxic? Perhaps. Tragic? Definitely. But torrid? Nah, it was luke-warm at best. I mean, Cruz is stunning and Brody has that aura of sexy-confidence around that is mesmerizing and so alluring, but their characters just didn't have the natural chemistry. Other than that, the movie was visually gorgeous; the costumes, the architecture, the scenery... all beautiful. Th story was pretty plain and straight-forward; no real shocker or great revalation; in fact, I would go so far as to say, almost a little cliche. Tragic and sad, but nothing profound.
December 22, 2011
I was planning on watching an Almodovar movie tonight but I have seen all of his that are currently on Hulu. So I went with the next best thing and watched a Penelope Cruz movie...Beautiful.
October 19, 2011
Great drama telling the involvement of the bullfighter Manolete and Lupe prostitute, wonderfully played by Adrien Brody and Penelope Cruz. Outside the look of bullfighting, very good.
October 1, 2011
ummm... sad! i am no matador fan...
September 3, 2011