A Night in the Woods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Night in the Woods Reviews

September 29, 2015
"This is the path the horror fan must walk, this the path I have chosen.
The path of watching a lot of not very good movies."

A Night in the Woods doesn't just hit every cliche in the found footage genre, it does them bad too, like, really bad. Then, get ready to top it all off with: Absolutely no payoff whatsoever! Hurray!

God I'm sick of found footage horror.
July 2, 2014
Almost like the Blair Witch, except extremely terrible.
½ March 26, 2014
A Night In The Woods is a dull British found footage horror that expects it's audience to accept some fairly ludicrous plot elements to tell it's story, as well as, directly lifts it's climactic act from the classic Blair Witch Project. The silly story finds American Brody (Scoot McNairy) going on a camping trip into the moors with his British girlfriend Kerry (Anna Skellern). But, Kerry has invited her 'cousin' Leo (Andrew Hawley) along and tension starts from the very beginning with Brody not happy with the presence of this mysterious family member and his obvious closeness to Kerry. Of course a stop in a local pub brings us folk tales of devil worshipers and a phantom huntsman who hangs sinners from trees so, our supernatural element is given us, as we know this will come into play later. But, as the three settle in, truths are revealed as camera voyeur Brody knows that Leo is not a cousin but an ex boyfriend and the tensions begin to rise as Brody makes this known to both Leo and Kerry. But, once Brody goes off into the night and Leo goes off to pursue him, Kerry is left alone at their remote camp... or is she? Written and directed by Richard Parry, this is a tedious flick to sit through even at a scant 80 minutes. The fact that Kerry would invite her volatile ex-boyfriend along on a camping trip with her current, volatile boyfriend... and lie about it... is ridiculous enough to swallow but, the fact that Brody is aware of who Leo might be and actually agrees to the trip instead of confronting Kerry about it then and there, is even more ridiculous. We get about fifty minutes of this soap opera level melodrama where we find out both men are a bit unbalanced... and Kerry obviously has terrible judgement and taste in men... before the film tries to ignite a supernatural spark but, at that point we are already too bored and don't like any of these self-centered and obviously emotionally disturbed people to care. The idea that Brody would leave in the middle of the night to go hiking, leaving Kerry and Leo alone together while knowing Leo is her ex, is possibly the worst of the ridiculous plot elements director Parry expects us to accept and the fact that Kerry would let Leo go after him with the tension high between the two, makes it even more laughable. Finally, when left alone, we are given a last act where something might be pursuing Kerry and we get the full Blair Witch treatment with screams in the dark, lots of running around in the middle of the woods via camera view and the prerequisite jolt ending. It's not bad enough that the filmmakers pile improbability on top of improbability in terms of the story between the three characters but, they top it off with a completely derivative climax that offers nothing new and certainly nothing scary. The film has a scant few moments here and there such as some well portrayed tension between the three principles, though the absurd nature of what is going on ruins any appreciation of it. And the locations are well shot using their creepiness to maximum effect but, the poor story and rip-off climax numbs any appreciation of this too. A complete waste of time that either bores you with it's ridiculously contrived drama or numbs you with it's blatant use of another, far better, movie's climax. Avoid unless it's your mission to watch every found footage movie you can get your hands on.
September 22, 2013
Even though there's not enough action until the final 40 minutes this film manages to deliver with a talented cast and an outstanding director who lacks from originality and offers a mediocre found-footage film with thrills to offer.
July 23, 2013
a movie with interesting concepts and ideas but are terrible executed, the over horror elements are nowhere to be seen for a large portion of the film, and left me slightly bored, the video style which is presented throughout the film may be slightly overused to a painful degree nowadays, but the director and producers use it to the films advantage with tense panorama sections and create a bit more connection to the characters, but the problem with that is that the characters to be felt uninteresting and boring, there personality's seemed slightly blank, puppets almost, and there is almost a too wide of a gap between each of the gaps for the scares, although the largest problem although the most evident problem, although this does more apply to me personally, is the closure there is no evident explanation of who or what was behind everything if it Leo, or a paranormal entity or anything else etc and in the end left a sour taste in my mouth. overall some interesting scares, but an incredibaly long and boring buildup with an evidently bad payoff.
June 23, 2013
I'm surprised I even gave this movie a 1 star, if you want a word to describe what I think... 'Bad' is the nice word for it... It's like a bad remake of the Blair witch project, only at least the Blair witch project had a premise that drew in the viewers. This film is just utterly ridiculous and unfortunately doesn't warrant a second viewing.. The beginning is slow, you don't know what's going on and as the movie progresses it gets steadily worse, I've had more thrills watching a B movie than this... Don't bother!
½ February 15, 2013
This is the second 'British Blair Witch' I've seen recently and unfortunately for A Night In The Woods, Hollow, although not a brilliant film, was still a lot better than this. There are a few scares in this one but it's mostly just a lot of running around in the woods at night and it feels like quite a slog before we even get to running around in the woods as the first half of the movie was quite slow. It was also quite frustrating too as one of the character really needed more of an explanation as to why he was behaving the way he was.
January 29, 2013
I have a real fear of dark forests in the dead of night, so this should have worked like gangbusters. It didn't, largely thanks to three of the most obnoxious characters seen in recent films.
½ November 9, 2012
Maybe I thought this movie was good. I don't know myself anymore!!
½ October 14, 2012
Best thing about this film is Mad Dog Mcrea's cameo appearance.
½ October 13, 2012
Beautifully shot and well-acted, A Night in the Woods is a found footage horror film that successfully relies upon a lengthy build-up that is both tense and dramatic before climaxing in decently horrific events in the end.
October 12, 2012
Watchable but nothing new to the "camcorder footage found" movies :(
½ September 30, 2012
It was a good movie, although it was made out to be actual footage, which was deceiving.
½ September 27, 2012
Another low budget film trying to be the next Blair Witch Project, and providing very few scares or much of a storyline, very disappointing. Its also one of the most misleading DVD covers around at the moment, I was fooled.
September 27, 2012
Again I was fooled by reviews and the dvd cover into thinking this film was going to be really good. Instead what you get is a Blair Witch knock off but with a backstory that doesnt quite make sense (not that you care enough about the characters to bother) and the current story also making little sense. There are a couple of shocks which are big, only because boredom has caused you to zone out.
September 26, 2012
Bad. Awful. Awful bad.
September 23, 2012
was awrite, feel couldve done lot more and definetly not as scary as made out to be. watched though one of those not bothered bout watching again.
½ September 16, 2012
I have been hearing some good buzz about this movie, since it is from the makers of "Bronson" and "Monsters", two movies that I absolutely loved, but after watching the movie I was left with a disappointing feeling.

This movie is another found footage horror film. This time we have a couple and the girlfriend's cousin exploring the Dartmoor's Wistman's Woods. Legend tells of a mysterious figure who steals witches and hangs them from a tree in the woods. Brody, the boyfriend starts to get a jealous feeling seeing how his girlfriend Kerry is acting around her cousin Leo. Once in the woods and camp is set, night befalls the group sending them, and the viewer into a night full of terror.

The beginning of the movie has a note stating this was the footage that was found from this camping trip and was edited together to tell the groups story. What starts off as a good tale eventually turns into a boring mess with a few scares near the end. Like most feature length found footage film, there is so much footage used that really could have been either omitted or trimmed down to save time and tighten the movie better. I thought there were many scenes that either went no where or just dragged the movie down and didn't let it become the movie it was trying to be. One thing the movie has going for it is the acting. The performances are strong pretty much through out the movie, especially with the female lead.

Directed by Richard Parry who is mainly know for documentaries brings to life these characters and shows that he knows how to shoot stunning landscapes and is able to convey a realism with what is being showed on screen. The film gives us a sense that this could very well be actual found footage of a band of explorers who got lost in these woods and were never heard from again. Though there is one scene that really bothered me and that was when Kerry was all by herself and looking around for Leo and Brody. There is a camera following her and shooting footage but we never know who that was. It wasn't Brody or Leo because at that time they were lost in the woods. I thought that may add a little confusion near the end of the movie. What Richard needed to work on was the pacing. It started out good with the pacing, keeping things moving a long nicely at a good clip but once we get into the woods I felt that the pacing slowed to a point where the view is left waiting and waiting for something to happen. This worked a little bit to the movies advantage when the scares came because it allows the view to let their guard down and then POW something happens and freaks you out. The problem with that is that it takes a long while before anything like that happens.

Scoot McNairy, who was in "Monsters" and the upcoming "Argo" plays Brody, the boyfriend who loves to capture everything on camera. McNairy gives a great performance of the nice guy who becomes obsessed with capturing everything on film and later on turns to the creepy side of life. I really liked McNairy in "Monsters" and enjoyed seeing him in this film. There is something honest in his acting on screen and this helps gives a genuine feeling to the characters he plays. I can't wait to see him in "Argo" as I'm sure he will give a spot on performance in that as well.

Anna Skellern from the TV series "Outnumbered" and "The Decent 2" plays Brody's girlfriend Kerry. Anna gives a very emotional performance especially near the end of the movie. Anna's character Kerry has a secret that she has bee keeping from Brody and it has to do with Leo. Anna also gives a very honest performance and gives Kerry the realism needed to make the character and what is going on with the character believable. Another strong performance from a great cast.

Andrew Hawley, recently seen in "Snow White and the Huntsman" plays Leo, the catalyst to what starts to happen between Brody and Kerry. Andrew also brings the realism needed to make this character believable on screen and gives an honest performance. The whole cast gives us their all and it really shows on screen and is definitely the movies strongest point.

This isn't the worst found footage movie out there but it also doesn't rank up there with the best of them. It's just below middle of the road for me and that really has to do with how the last act of the movie was handled. The beginning really sets up something big and works well, but the last part just fell apart and I think really brought down the movie. Yes I have to admit there were a few scares during the end but the question that remains is 'will the viewer be able to stay with the movie long enough to get there?' I really wanted to like this movie and like it a lot but I just walked away feeling more disappointment that enjoyment.

I give this movie 2.5 stars out of 5. The strong acting and the decent directing keeps this movie afloat but not by much. If you have a chance to see it and found footage is your thing then give it a shot, you might like. Till next time my friends.
September 16, 2012
Comparisons with Blair Witch are inevitable but this is a very effective low budget scare fest with bucket loads of imagination and plenty of blood chilling moments.
September 10, 2012
A Night in the Woods was certainly no breath of fresh air and really how could it be? Yet the naturalistic performances of the cast, no doubt atmospheric setting of Dartmoor and some nice mythos help take the mind off the familiar elements. Although I did appreciate the improv moments of dialogue and some efficient scares jotted along a, it must be said, formulaic ride. It helps that the narrative gets by on the psychological human melodrama it presents among its characters too. Substantially its familiar stuff and without doubt no withstanding mark on Horror. Yet the budget is well used, the cast and setting effective and unlike the recent entries in the increasingly overstocked Handheld camera film genre (Apollo 18, Project X, The Devil Inside) it manages to maintain your attention, even if its realistic presentation is never less than obvious.