A Night in the Woods Reviews

• Jun 29, 2020

Pretty good for a found footage movie. A genre that's been way over done. A lot of men will recognize the type of girl the character Kerry is. The real horror show is the way Kerry interacts with her "cousin" Leo. And when Brody (current boyfriend) notices Kerry pulls some serious gaslighting on the poor aspiring filmmaker. This movie will remind a lot of dudes to trust their guts in relationships and why going mgtow ain't such a bad move.

• Feb 03, 2020

This movie is so bad I'm officially leaving my very first ever review. There are 3 characters and not a single one is in any way likeable and not a single one can cooperate with the others. The writers wants you to wonder why the couple is having a problem in their relationship but I couldn't stop asking myself why they were ever together. They very clearly didn't like each other. Every found footage movie has a scene toward the middle or end where one of the characters gets mad and demands that the other stops filming them but the girlfriend was asking this of her boyfriend from the very beginning of the movie. There was such little horror that it wasn't until the last 20 minutes that I even remembered this movie was meant to be scary. Then, I'm guessing to jump scare the audience, the camera just starts making very loud noises all on its own that make no sense at all. And it ended almost exactly like Blair Witch project, which is to say that nothing happened and the movie was just over.

Gimly M Super Reviewer
    Sep 29, 2015

"This is the path the horror fan must walk, this the path I have chosen. The path of watching a lot of not very good movies." A Night in the Woods doesn't just hit every cliche in the found footage genre, it does them bad too, like, really bad. Then, get ready to top it all off with: Absolutely no payoff whatsoever! Hurray! God I'm sick of found footage horror.

• Jul 02, 2014

Almost like the Blair Witch, except extremely terrible.

Almost like the Blair Witch, except extremely terrible.

• Mar 26, 2014

A Night In The Woods is a dull British found footage horror that expects it's audience to accept some fairly ludicrous plot elements to tell it's story, as well as, directly lifts it's climactic act from the classic Blair Witch Project. The silly story finds American Brody (Scoot McNairy) going on a camping trip into the moors with his British girlfriend Kerry (Anna Skellern). But, Kerry has invited her 'cousin' Leo (Andrew Hawley) along and tension starts from the very beginning with Brody not happy with the presence of this mysterious family member and his obvious closeness to Kerry. Of course a stop in a local pub brings us folk tales of devil worshipers and a phantom huntsman who hangs sinners from trees so, our supernatural element is given us, as we know this will come into play later. But, as the three settle in, truths are revealed as camera voyeur Brody knows that Leo is not a cousin but an ex boyfriend and the tensions begin to rise as Brody makes this known to both Leo and Kerry. But, once Brody goes off into the night and Leo goes off to pursue him, Kerry is left alone at their remote camp... or is she? Written and directed by Richard Parry, this is a tedious flick to sit through even at a scant 80 minutes. The fact that Kerry would invite her volatile ex-boyfriend along on a camping trip with her current, volatile boyfriend... and lie about it... is ridiculous enough to swallow but, the fact that Brody is aware of who Leo might be and actually agrees to the trip instead of confronting Kerry about it then and there, is even more ridiculous. We get about fifty minutes of this soap opera level melodrama where we find out both men are a bit unbalanced... and Kerry obviously has terrible judgement and taste in men... before the film tries to ignite a supernatural spark but, at that point we are already too bored and don't like any of these self-centered and obviously emotionally disturbed people to care. The idea that Brody would leave in the middle of the night to go hiking, leaving Kerry and Leo alone together while knowing Leo is her ex, is possibly the worst of the ridiculous plot elements director Parry expects us to accept and the fact that Kerry would let Leo go after him with the tension high between the two, makes it even more laughable. Finally, when left alone, we are given a last act where something might be pursuing Kerry and we get the full Blair Witch treatment with screams in the dark, lots of running around in the middle of the woods via camera view and the prerequisite jolt ending. It's not bad enough that the filmmakers pile improbability on top of improbability in terms of the story between the three characters but, they top it off with a completely derivative climax that offers nothing new and certainly nothing scary. The film has a scant few moments here and there such as some well portrayed tension between the three principles, though the absurd nature of what is going on ruins any appreciation of it. And the locations are well shot using their creepiness to maximum effect but, the poor story and rip-off climax numbs any appreciation of this too. A complete waste of time that either bores you with it's ridiculously contrived drama or numbs you with it's blatant use of another, far better, movie's climax. Avoid unless it's your mission to watch every found footage movie you can get your hands on.

• Sep 22, 2013

Even though there's not enough action until the final 40 minutes this film manages to deliver with a talented cast and an outstanding director who lacks from originality and offers a mediocre found-footage film with thrills to offer.

• Jul 23, 2013

a movie with interesting concepts and ideas but are terrible executed, the over horror elements are nowhere to be seen for a large portion of the film, and left me slightly bored, the video style which is presented throughout the film may be slightly overused to a painful degree nowadays, but the director and producers use it to the films advantage with tense panorama sections and create a bit more connection to the characters, but the problem with that is that the characters to be felt uninteresting and boring, there personality's seemed slightly blank, puppets almost, and there is almost a too wide of a gap between each of the gaps for the scares, although the largest problem although the most evident problem, although this does more apply to me personally, is the closure there is no evident explanation of who or what was behind everything if it Leo, or a paranormal entity or anything else etc and in the end left a sour taste in my mouth. overall some interesting scares, but an incredibaly long and boring buildup with an evidently bad payoff.

• Jun 23, 2013

I'm surprised I even gave this movie a 1 star, if you want a word to describe what I think... 'Bad' is the nice word for it... It's like a bad remake of the Blair witch project, only at least the Blair witch project had a premise that drew in the viewers. This film is just utterly ridiculous and unfortunately doesn't warrant a second viewing.. The beginning is slow, you don't know what's going on and as the movie progresses it gets steadily worse, I've had more thrills watching a B movie than this... Don't bother!

• Feb 15, 2013

This is the second 'British Blair Witch' I've seen recently and unfortunately for A Night In The Woods, Hollow, although not a brilliant film, was still a lot better than this. There are a few scares in this one but it's mostly just a lot of running around in the woods at night and it feels like quite a slog before we even get to running around in the woods as the first half of the movie was quite slow. It was also quite frustrating too as one of the character really needed more of an explanation as to why he was behaving the way he was.

• Jan 29, 2013

I have a real fear of dark forests in the dead of night, so this should have worked like gangbusters. It didn't, largely thanks to three of the most obnoxious characters seen in recent films.