nos amours (To Our Loves) (Suzanne) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

nos amours (To Our Loves) (Suzanne) Reviews

½ February 25, 2015
Charming lead and great acting.
May 4, 2014
Sort of a rotten story, really, filled with unhappiness and horror. But the narrative is excellent, showing us how our protagonist gets from point A to point B, and how her troubled homelife helps to steer her there.

Sandrine Bonnaire sparkles on screen, a glimmer even when her relationships are crumbling at her feet.

This is probably a story that will hit too close to home for some viewers; the abusive family situation she is in is doubtlessly not as uncommon as we (societly) would like to think, nor are the emotional and psychological fallouts.
December 19, 2013
As time goes by, the avant-garde depiction diminishes in value.
½ November 19, 2013
A delicate drive throughout an element of Suzanne's delayed adolescence.
½ November 9, 2013
I can see why they call Maurice Pialat the John Cassavettes of French cinema. This is a wonderful drama about a girl's transition into adulthood and the distress it causes an already disintegrating family. There is a jump in time at the end of the movie where I was a bit lost, but otherwise amazing.
August 24, 2012
Not quite as banal as a John Cassavantes film, but the characters are certainly not people who I'd ever want to hang around with. They're all selfish, violent, and lack any semblance of self-control.
½ August 23, 2012
Reminds me of being sixteen...
May 29, 2012
I find it dragging but seeing Sandrine Bonnaire playing that promiscuous and disturbed girl from a dysfunctional family is amazing.
March 21, 2012
The performance of the actress is what makes the film worth seeing, admittedly one that isn't very original. It has a rather cynical view about family, friends, and relationships, but that's the point.
½ February 18, 2012
i didn't see what was the big deal about the movie, sorry. An unstable family- ok, the girl has many boyfriends - ok. So what? Didn't see anything original. Especially i didn't see any connection between the Cold Song performed by Klaus Nomi and this story. This film is neither tense, nor provocative and intriguing.
November 14, 2011
Wanted to love it and didn't, but it is kind of unique as a coming-of-age/family drama due to all the 15 year old sex and constant abuse. And yet it seems like the kind of movie you can take your grandmother to see... it's a slow-burner, and by that I mean it doesn't really get interesting till the father leaves the family.
rubystevens
September 6, 2011
my first pialat film is a family drama starring a luminous young sandrine bonnaire as a rebellious teenager using sex with random boys to deal with her complicated issues. even more troubling is the sudden turn to violence within her family, especially her unstable mother and super creepy brother. all seems shockingly real with wonderful performances by the actors, not least pialat himself, who plays the soon estranged father. i'll definitely check more of his work in the future
½ May 21, 2011
A Nos Amours is a superb coming-of-age film from one of France's greatest auteurs in the last half of the twentieth century. Sandrine Bonnaire gives an excellent performance in her screen debut. Maurice Pialat, who also gives an excellent performance as the father, shows his assured hand at directing. This is an excellent movie from start to finish. A Nos Amours comes as highly recommended viewing for the art film fan. 9/10
½ May 5, 2011
I feel so much better about my family now
April 10, 2011
sad state of a dysfunctional family precipitated by paternal desertion and unchecked adolescent liberties. a bit of a domestic horror film. *sigh*
January 29, 2011
Excellent, though a little hard to follow - I literally could not keep up with this girl and all her "boyfriends", and by the end half hour I was totally confused as to who she was meant to be with, and what was going on. I was drawn to this movie as I like 80's films in general, and though it's not a typical 80's film, it still has that feel to it, while also being kind of mysterious and beautifully filmed. Sandrine Bonnaire is perfect as Suzanne and I found her family intriguing as much as disturbing. This is one messed up family, and Suzanne seems unnaturally close to her father, whilst her brother is unnaturally close to her. Her mother is just half insane. No wonder she has a few issues!
There's not an awful lot happening in plot, but I never felt that it dragged or got dull.
October 4, 2010
A daring and keenly observed film about a young 16 year old girl and her sexual awakening. Frustrated and irritated by her parents and brother, she seeks solace in the arms of men in sex as an escape. Her father is bore tender and a brute; her mother self-destructive and selfish; her brother a momma's boy. The scenes and situations are very complex and evolve into an utterly jaw-dropping scene. Bonnaire became a star as a result of her terrific performance in A nos amours. A gem from Maurice Pialat.
½ September 12, 2010
Quite a slow and uneventful film but it was done well and the script had its moments.
½ September 6, 2010
pretty decent coming of age movie. solid acting all around, especially bonnaire. add half a star if you're a dirty old man.
August 31, 2010