nos amours (To Our Loves) (Suzanne) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

nos amours (To Our Loves) (Suzanne) Reviews

½ August 27, 2010
This movie wasn't bad. It was quite slow, and I feel like it said some things that have already been said many times in film, however it did do it in a very interesting way. I loved the nearly utter lack of a soundtrack, and I thought the actors all did a splendid job. The plot was interesting enough to keep me awake throughout the full film.
August 9, 2010
This just goes to show that not all French films are interesting...While it had some great acting from it's young star Sandrine Bonnaire the movie itself is a borefest.I would recommend this to anyone who like pretentiousness..
July 15, 2010
pretty good. a genuinely confused girl who can't feel worth unless she has a boy-toy. her family abuses her and her friends are just as lost as she.
½ June 14, 2010
Rare French film that focuses on negative but true-to-life topics like emptiness of life, love, family, sex, etc. Simple but powerful direction by Pialat probably owes a lot to Robert Bresson. I love this sincere attitude of filmmaking.
May 26, 2010
Franchment, mon cher, je m'en fous! Now, I appreciate a good Bildungsfilm as much as the next person, but I found this one in particular exceptional only in its dullness. I honestly barely made it till the end and I have an unparalleled ability to stick out even the dullest of films. I didn't feel a connection to any of the characters in this film, and that goes double for the lead character, Suzanne (Sandrine Bonnaire) which, for a film to be categorized as successful, is absolutely imperative. I will assume that, because Bonnaire had appeared in only two films prior this this one---La boum 2 and Les sous-doués en vacances, and went uncredited in both---that she hadn't quite figured out what to do with herself as a leading lady, so I'd like to give her a pass with this film. She has since built an impressive repertoire for herself by appearing in over fifty French films, many of which appear to have been quite successful. In short, if you're looking for good French films about summertime sexual awakening, I'd recommend Wild Reeds, Nico and Dani, and Water Lilies, over this one.
May 20, 2010
Personnellement je lui donnerais 5 étoiles. Un des films favoris de mon adolescence avec Sandrine bonnaire comme révélation de cette année là en plus!
½ April 4, 2010
a sad character study from pialat that is primarily interesting because of the fresh-faced sandrine bonnaires debut performance. its a good story about a young girls sexual travelogue after her father leaves the family. bonnaire and pialat himself turn in incredibly intimate and personal performances.
March 2, 2010
A fierce culprit of the crime of having its characters merely stating how they feel rather than acting as if they are actually experiencing those feelings in any way shape or form, I found this film incessantly difficult to get into and its characters absolutely impossible to relate to. Character back story, motivation and introspection are pretty much nil. The film gives you a vague idea of its protagonist's rough family life then flings you into one meaningless sexual tryst of hers, and another, and another. The actual sexual encounters are hardly shown as the film employs a "style" of many flash forwards where months, maybe even years pass between encounters and we're hardly ever entirely sure how far out from the previous scene we are. Many of these flash forwards pick up right AFTER a sexual encounter. For a film that is largely about a young adult's sexual awakening and how she claims to only feel happy when she is with a man, it would have been interesting to see if she is the instigator for most of these encounters, or how she actually behaves during them. Unfortunately, the director chooses to deprive the audience of any proper emotion to latch onto throughout most of the film; most notably in the girl's relationship with the one boy she doesn't sleep with in the movie who, allegedly, is the only man she ever truly loved. One can't tell she cares for him in the least as in each of their scenes together they pretty much just sit silently next to each other and stare at their feet. All this emotional malaise is clearly a stylistic choice but it doesn't work in the least for me as, while many claims to emotion are made in the film, as it stands, I just don't believe them.
February 28, 2010
A very strange, but also original coming-of-age tale; memorable performances; unsatisfying ending.
February 20, 2010
The best quote from this film comes from Pialat himself, playing the father in the film he played father to:

Roughly, "All of us desire to be loved, but only a select privileged few are actually truly capable of loving. You are not one of them." This is what he tells Bonnaire who plays his daughter. Pialat was reportedly very in love with Sandrine Bonnaire from the moment he serendipitously cast her instead of her sister for the lead role.

Pialat's films are tough to get good prints of in the US. Fortunately this one is of of his masterpieces and is available from Criterion in stunning transfer quality.

I had the privilege of seeing "Nous Ne Virillions Pas Ensemble" on a film print at the Dryden Theater in Rochester, NY a few years back. His technique does not patronize the viewer as he uses very few traditional film mechanisms - the films predominantly lack things like music scoring, edit dissolves to imply a lapse in time, or establishing shots. You are at the mercy of the characters you are watching and the situations they are in to pick up on a moment that you are abruptly thrown into which could take place a year down the road from the scene you just cleanly cut from.

But it works. The best filmmakers in history all had their muses, so much that the cinema has developed an almost mythological phenomena - a feminine Hollywood-like dream of a young woman discovered/plucked from an ordinary life and thrust into the passions of a brilliant director (something David Lynch deconstructs so brilliantly in "Mullholland Drive"). Sandrine Bonnaire became yet another a building block in that myth back in the 80s.

We do want to all be loved, and Pialat was certainly no exception - so if this film was the fruit of his passions, judge for yourself whether he is one of the privileged few with the ability to love another. Regardless, I love this film, and it isn't easy. So much so that I can't even give it 5 stars.
January 23, 2010
Confusing while I watched it, but afterwards I liked it. Some of the scenes were really beautiful, and it seemed somewhat real to me.
½ January 22, 2010
There's a "Seinfeld" episode where the guys are all aching to see a movie called Rochelle Rochelle, "a young girl's strange erotic journey from Milan to Minsk". They think all the nubile nudity will be exciting, but they end up bored to tears. This is pretty much that movie. For most of it, it's a teenage peep show constantly being interrupted by discussions about nothing in particular that have no bearing on anything. Or worse, someone making some meaningless observation about love.
December 27, 2009
It wasn't all that spectacular but it held my interest enough. The girl is very pretty and does a great acting job but the storyline bugs me a little.
½ December 23, 2009
Brutal, disturbing, yet strangely familiar (not the promiscuous part). I enjoyed it, dysfunctional family and promiscuous 15 year-old and all.
½ December 23, 2009
Brutal, disturbing, yet strangely familiar (not the promiscuous part, just the dysfunctional family part). I enjoyed it, despite the unpleasantness of it all. Can both relate and not relate to the protagonist and her promiscuous ways.
½ December 3, 2009
None of the synopses I've read, including Flixter's, seems to do a good job of summarizing this film. To me it seemed less like the dysfunctional family fare it's being marketed as, and more of an ode to the liberated adolescent female.
August 21, 2009
To escape from a troubled family, a teenage girl indulges in meaningless sexual encounters, but her physical satisfaction cannot help her to manage the love she is looking for. Atypical of French movies, but it fails to deliver any clear message.
June 24, 2009
A film about a young girl who sleeps around with lots of different boys in an effort to feel appreciated and loved. Her father is overprotective but just doesn't understand her, her mother is neurotic, and her brother is a brute. Cassavetes talked about "emotional violence" and thats exactly what this film is about. Its about whats under all the behavior, from Suzannes lustful ways, to her brother beating her as punishment. Its a powerful film even though its not very moving.
June 4, 2009
Wow. This is a film that deals with some tough subject matter, yet unlike a film such as Kids, it we see a softer, more emotional and less aggressive side to teenage sex. Granted, A nos amours and Kids are two very different films, but this film doesn't look at the sex Suzanne is having as "bad" necessarily, but as a dangerous and sad way for her to escape the saddness in her life.

When it comes down to the final scenes, this is a film about a father and daughter connectting with eachother and understanding eachother more than anyone else. Suzanne adors her dad, even though he smacks her around a bit, and can vaugly understand his descision to leave her mother. Her father understands that Suzanne's relationships can and will never last, because they provide her momentary satisfaction, filling in for the "true love" she had with Luc.
½ May 25, 2009
this is one sexy film, understated and over-the-top all at the same time....and it's in french. the main's character's behaving like a slut but she does not appear as such ( as you suspect there must be some reason why she's being so unhappy with herself ). i could not really understand what's the story all about as i did not read the blurb before watching it, but as the movie unfolded, i got more fascinated and attracted to the main character....she's just being so honest with her emotions and she happens to be somewhat confused. and all the other characters are confused, confounded as well with their own lives. it's an honest to goodness presentation, almost like documentary style, of the lives of the members of a typical entrepreneurial family with growing children without qualms over what outsiders or non family members may think of them....