A Place at the Table - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Place at the Table Reviews

½ July 25, 2016
Being part of India and seeing the state of things here, certain issues seem quite irrelevant from my point of view but the importance of this documentary similar to what's shown in Food Inc. is the bigger issue of almost all the power of where our food comes from is increasingly being controlled by smaller groups of corporate giants and politicians. Being the most basic of mans necessities to survive, the forced nature of showcasing high calorie food products as a staple diet for americans is without a doubt affecting the outcome of the new generation of today. Its quite interesting to see the strong correlation between the state of hunger and high obesity in America.
February 25, 2016
It comes out of the gate one sided and appealing to your emotions. There are some interesting things to learn and i found myself enjoying the facts and statistics, the the human interest story parts leaving me bored. I found myself poking other holes in these peoples lives to why they have trouble eating, guess i'm just heartless. I know they explained why even though people are overweight they still don't have enough food but its still had to believe when you look at them.
October 11, 2015
Tan informativa y tan cruelmente grabada, que por poco me olvido que la música la compone The Civil Wars.
January 3, 2015
Sufficient for what it is. Good information. We just will never, ever figure it out in this country. You have to spend money to save money, and putting all the wealth into the hands of a few is not a viable solution.

Just to run down some of the items: we often associate poverty/hunger with being thin. That's not really the case in America. Poor people can buy shitty food, so obesity is actually a bigger symptom of hunger. How is it so affordable? Eighty-four percent of ag incentives go toward rice, wheat, corn, etc that lead to cheaper processed foods. Only one percent of subsidies go to fruits and veggies. Gee, I wonder what farmers will grow.

Then there is politics as usual. The avg school lunch is 2.68. With all admin and expenses out, a school lunch runs around 1.00. Can anyone eat nutritiously for 1.00 a meal?? So Obama comes in and wants to increase student lunch budget $10 billion over 10 years. Get that billion by cutting subsidies to groups that don't need help. It gets struck down within 24 hours. The compromise is a $4.5 billion increase over 10 years, and half of that will be funded by cutting food stamps. Take from the poor to give to the poor. Meanwhile, Bush tax cuts give the top-two percent $1.3 trillion over 10 years. Trillion with a T. What a joke.

So you get our favorite symptom in America...don't pay a little to prevent it, pay a lot to fix it. Obesity causes so many problems. Development issues cause problems. Long list of items that could be helped my putting more food on the table. But hey. We gotta keep giving to the haves and keep taking away from the have nots. It's become the American way.
½ December 29, 2014
Top Chef accountability
May 17, 2014
izlemekteyim - watchin it rightnow
May 3, 2014
Woooow una realidad muy desconocida por nosotros
½ April 8, 2014
It is a startling fact that there are 50 million people in the US that don't know where there next meal is coming from. Food insecurity is an invisible, but very real problem in our country. Of the developed world, the US ranks 23 in food security. I personally think it's crucial to know what's happening in the country you live in. there are, in fact, very real ways to help. if you only see films to distract yourself from what's actually happening in the world (and don't believe knowledge is power or that "you can be the change you wish to see in the world" then this documentary, or really any good documentary is probably not for you. And then i just hope you don't have children...
½ March 31, 2014
There is a few myth busting points in this film, the first is that poor people are lazy - 85% of the people with not enough to buy the food their families need have jobs - and the shocker is that by the end of the 70s we had almost eliminated hunger! From 1980 on it has been a constant chipping away at programs that help - and all in the name of tax cuts, more money for defense, etc, etc?and more and more money for corporate farms.
March 21, 2014
A sobering documentary on food insecurity and the strange correlation between poverty and obesity. The 2nd largest lobby; Agribusiness has managed to siphon tax$ towards food subsidies that go into packaged, starchy, fatty, sugary, unhealthy foods. The result; as wages drop, the poor can only afford to eat unhealthy; devoid of fresh fruits and vegetables.
½ March 12, 2014
Or the One Where A Strong Message Is Drowned Out By Poor Execution...

The title says it all, it's got a great heart, but poor direction.
½ February 26, 2014
Yes, we need change at the fundamental level of government, where we do not wage war on our own poor. But this is not the argument to do it. While sob stories tug at the heartstrings, it doesn't leave a lasting impression. This documentary could have done a lot more to show what needs to be done to feed and nourish every child in America. Show who does get subsidies and how much, then show the offsets. A well intentioned movie that overstates the obvious.
½ January 16, 2014
Seriously, America, wtf? Feed your citizens. Hungry and poor is no good for anyone. (That applies to you too, Canada.)
½ December 31, 2013
Amazing to know that in America we have an abundance of food, but nearly 50 million people are still food insecure. Very thought provoking.
½ December 24, 2013
Learned so much from this. Some shocking facts.
December 8, 2013
Shocking indicment of American food and social policy.Well constructed documentary.
November 23, 2013
Touching and real. However, not as good as it could have been.