A Serious Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Serious Man Reviews

½ January 21, 2016
Will not disappoint true Coen brother's fans. May benefit from a 2nd (or 3rd) viewing.
January 18, 2016
The Coen Brothers' Jewish dramedy is far from being their most accessible effort. In fact, "A Serious Man" somewhat hearkens back to their film-making beginnings, in terms of its tone and the existential predicament the lead character is mulling. The opening sequence informs viewers that this is not going to be a movie that provides obvious answers for the situations we are to visit. I have always admired that about the Brothers' as film-makers, that they can deliver a straight-forward comedy or mystery/drama, then follow that up with a more abstract effort that considers darker, more ponderous themes. The Coens have made crowd-pleasers with wide appeal, but their attentions eventually seem to return to this type of film. Either you will enjoy watching a movie such as "A Serious Man" and then trying to connect the myriad dots the Coens scatter about, or you will find it an excruciatingly drawn bit of tedium. I liken it to the scene where Larry is shown before a massive blackboard working toward the solution to a complex physics problem, only to arrive at the solution and proclaim to his students, "So, as you can see... we can never be certain about anything." That pretty well encapsulates the dueling reactions I anticipate among the film's audience. Personally, I enjoyed the film enough to spend some time afterward trying to piece together the possibilities of that most untidy finale. Yet, I must deduct a star from my overall score because I found it more difficult to relate to the characters, and the dead-pan humor was not as consistently prevalent as I have come to expect in a Coen Bros. production.
January 11, 2016
One of the Coen brothers' best - near perfect.
½ January 1, 2016
It's my favorite Coen Brothers film of all time because I like the concept of religion has been recalled to the piquant.
December 19, 2015
A good film but WTF?
½ December 7, 2015
Hilarious and very dark, the story of a Jewish lecturer trying to make sense of a life where nothing seems to go right and passivity is punished. Beautifully photographed by Roger Deakins, marvellously acted by a cast of unknowns, it's as if David Lynch had directed a Woody Allen script.
November 27, 2015
I liked it, but I'm not sure why.
November 15, 2015
Hard to get, but seemingly intelligent and darkly funny but also a bit nihilistic and misanthropic. Why do things happen? Or do they happen for a reason? Makes fun of the empty "help" and "advice" religious leaders offer. I didn't really understand this movie, and it was kind of depressing.
October 18, 2015
I'd be lying if I said it didn't take some thought, but the cohesive story the Coen brothers have crafted here is quite a good one.
½ October 12, 2015
Felt this film stirred a bit away from the conventional Coen Brothers style onto a much serious and darker tone. It still works on some level.
½ September 2, 2015
"A Serious Man" is hard to describe, but it is easy to get into and can best be construed as a dark and dysfunctional parable.
½ August 23, 2015
This is one of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of watching. It's stupid, it doesn't make sense, and it's nauseating to sit through. DO NOT WASTE a small shred of your life watching this piece of crap.
½ August 19, 2015
Has an interesting premise but the rest is a series of uncomfortable situations the main protagonist encounters where every situation ends before it even starts, failing to provoke laughter or entertainment.
August 18, 2015
A typical Coen brothers oddity but then again, when has that ever been a bad thing?
August 4, 2015
Cohen Brothers most mature film without a doubt, maybe not as funny as others, but the inner drama and the dark humour are accurate, and the existencialist questions it asks are truly compelling
½ July 14, 2015
Filme chatoooooooooooooooo.
½ July 1, 2015
A Serious Man is so weird and full of characters that are meant to be despised yet the Coen brothers and Deakins handle the film with such grand subtlety that it is almost impossible to turn away from.
June 13, 2015
The Cohen Brothers Semi-Autobiographical Piece Of American Life. Full Of Jewish References, It Won't Resonate With Everyone, I Certainly Struggled To Get It. Felt A Bit Tragic At Times, In A Good & Bad Way..The Musical Score Works Well In Parts, But Overall This Felt Like A Really Lame, Lost Episode Of Seinfeld.
June 10, 2015
This is honestly one of the strangest and intellectually mature and somewhat uncomfortable films I've seen.
I do not fully understand it by any means, but the more I think about, it the more I grasp and appreciate it.
The Coen Bros. really did something different here.
A Serious Man is one of the Coen Bros. better films.
Re-Rate: 8/10 (B+)
½ June 9, 2015
This was the worst film I've seen this year. It's seriously bad. A serious waste of two hours that I'll never get back. It is by far the worst Coen brothers movie I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them (I usually enjoy them too). Characters aren't funny, just unlikable. The plot isn't interesting, just painful. Do yourself a favor and stay away. I'm serious. I'm a serious man.