A Southern Yankee (1948)

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

A Southern Yankee Videos

A Southern Yankee Photos

Movie Info

Hot on the heels of Columbia's The Fuller Brush Man, MGM released another Red Skelton gagfest, A Southern Yankee. Set during the Civil War, the film casts Skelton as bumbling bellboy Aubrey Filmore. Yearning to help the Northern cause by becoming an undercover spy, Aubrey succeeds beyond his wildest dreams when circumstances force him to pose as notorious Southern secret agent Major Drumman (George Coulouris), aka "The Grey Spider". Infiltrating rebel territory, our hero does his best (which is none too good) to intercept the Grey Spider's messages and smuggle them to the North. Along the way, he falls in love with pert Southern belle Sallyann Weatherby (Arlene Dahl). Many of the side-splitting gag routines were devised by Buster Keaton, notably the now-famous scene in which Aubrey gingerly walks across the battlefield between Northern and Southern lines carrying a two-sided flag -- the Northern Stars and Stripes on one side, the Southern Stars and Bars on the other -- a strategy that works until the wind suddenly changes! Though Edward Sedgwick is credited with the direction, Red Skelton later revealed that A Southern Yankee was actually directed by S. Sylvan Simon.
Directed By:

Bill Kennedy
as Lt. Sheve
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for A Southern Yankee

There are no critic reviews yet for A Southern Yankee. Keep checking Rotten Tomatoes for updates!

Audience Reviews for A Southern Yankee

There were some jokes that worked but this film was not able to hit all the jokes in my mind. I think that they tried some of the jokes way too much like Red Skelton's character consistently tripping throughout the film being clumsy. I don't think those worked in the film after a while because it happened far too much. So much so that it became predictable and a characteristic rather than funny. Red Skelton's character after a while became annoying and the only characters I enjoyed were anyone but Red Skelton. It is not a movie I would recommend but it does have some interesting jokes that I do believe did work such as a joke written by Buster Keaton which is Red Skelton march with one flag facing the Confederates and the other side the Union and stops a temporary fire until the wind blows. I think this film missed the moral and the risk element. If there was a sense of the danger by a loss I think that this film would have been made it's marks better but there was no sadness or seriousness of the ramifications of what was going on. It was just all jokes. Because of that this film missed on it's message. I also felt like this film ended too conveniently by having the War just end the way it did just seemed unrealistic. There was no sense that the Union or Confederates were is severe danger from low supplies or dirtiness, hunger. It all seemed like they were both on equal footing besides medical supplies and wounded men by the Confederacy and the Union low on cotton supplies.

Red Skelton is wonderful, as an undercover spy for the Union army. Some hilarious gags. Good support from Arlene Dahl, Brian Donlevy, George Coulouris and John Ireland. The scene where he walks across the battlefield with a confederate flag on one side, and a union flag on the other, it works until the wind changes direction! It's a great classic scene. Good costumes.

James Higgins
James Higgins

A Southern Yankee Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss A Southern Yankee on our Movie forum!

News & Features