A Spell To Ward Off The Darkness Reviews

• Jul 15, 2017

Really? A 'documentary' that itself requires explaining? Have we become that self indulgent? (Ans: yes)

• . . Super Reviewer
    Jun 15, 2015

One star for the heavy metal, if you leave out the singing. This is a good film to go to if you have to get indoors somewhere dry for a while and take a nap during a film that has really long takes of nothing happening, and I mean really long takes. Except for the band members, all of the characters in this including the lead actor are incredibly boring and superficial. The woman spouting the potted philosophy takes the cake for inanity. But ignore everything and have your sleep; that will be the best part.

• Dec 08, 2014

I saw the movie 'A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness' at Lincoln Center on Saturday night. It was utter and complete shit. Two hours of my life I'll never get back. How the fuck critics like this movie is beyond me. Sometimes when people are really wasted they "think" they are having a stimulating and fascinating intellectual discussion when in fact they are just wasted and boring. That's this movie. It's an endurance test of boredom. When an artist works in a bubble, when everyone tells them that they're awesome, when they have no contact with reality, nobody to tell them "dude, that's really fkn boring", they produce tripe like this movie.

• Aug 21, 2014

While the shots are beautiful and it manages to make some points, it is a miss in matter of message, pacing and content. One can't simply make a good art film with 30 minutes of noisy and unlistenable black metal.

• Jun 12, 2014

A musician (so-called loner) without any personality goes on in search for something "metaphysical". If there is something to inform me of why he needs such a search, I wouldn't have had to scratch my head the whole time. To substitute for the film's spiritual vacancy, the directors designed long, "hypnotic" shots to bring home the sense that there is something "spiritual" going on - but, alas, I didn't feel it. If there is a film that waves a banner and shouts out loud "hipster and proud", this must be the one.