A Stone's Throw - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Stone's Throw Reviews

December 27, 2013
This was pretty good, a little artsy-fartsy for my taste but for those of you that like that sort of thing it's a cinematographers delight, visually stimulating. Canadian content with an environmental message, family ties and a sweet love story with a bittersweet ending, that in turn explains why it's been filmed with so many colors and textures. Once you're aware of Jack's (condition) you understand why he sees things the way he does for the time he has left. "A photojournalist and environmental activist (Kristen Holden-Reid) shows up unannounced on his estranged sisters doorstep in rural Nova Scotia." 06.13 (2)
½ November 4, 2011
This is one of those lovingly-filmed quiet movies that is well worth your time. It reveals the conflicts and challenges that arise when a brother who is an environmental activist returns home to a small town in Nova Scotia. His impact on his sister's family and his new relationship with a teacher have unexpected and disruptive consequences. The resolution of these issues is very satisfying.
January 30, 2011
Beautiful cinematography frames this original story of changing
characters played by an ensemble cast of very proficient actors.
Drawback: It's uncertain whether the facts and figures are accurate as
it is fiction.
I'll definately watch this one again.
September 17, 2008
Oddly Canadian. Worth watching if you like Lisa Ray. Beautifully shot.
June 13, 2008
Good moral tale, raising environmental awareness and also regarding self-respect and pragmatism, not taking your family for granted. Other than that it's a bit surrealistic, the acting was great, the cinematography was nice, the soundtrack was excellent and the story was compelling. Another great drama from Canada!
½ May 12, 2008
A slow paced movie that eventually gets to the point... if you can get past the spotty filming at the beginining... it does have a good story to tell. Best film-shots, textures and colours of the art, the dolls and the making of art with kids.
½ April 9, 2008
Decent Canadian film with Lisa Ray (one of my favourute's)
January 2, 2008
Really slow; needed a lot of editing. I didn't really understand the main character and didn't really care about him.
December 6, 2007
Great character development and cinematography steeped in very strong waldorf tea...Funny how it hasn't changed in 20 years or from coast to coast :D
½ December 5, 2007
Ultimately drags, both through the pacing and the lack of compelling character arcs, to keep it from being truly memorable once it's over.
½ October 11, 2006
Too earnest for it's own good, but Aaron Webber has impressed my with two intelligent performances now, I can't wait to see what he does next.