A Strange Brand Of Happy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Strange Brand Of Happy Reviews

September 24, 2013
great date movie, funny quips from interesting characters
September 19, 2013
Great Job! Loved the movie, lots of laughs!
September 19, 2013
Left the theatre with that feel-good feeling. Wise did a great job with the film and the character development was solid. One or two of the actors left something to be desired but overall the movie was very entertaining! Laughed out loud, tears streamed down my face. The movie really pulled on some heart strings I haven't felt in a while, maybe that's what the move was for. I consider it a must see.
September 19, 2013
Knew going in it wasn't going to be a blockbuster, it is an attempt to generate discussions about God and faith, by not beating people over the head with classic hardcore religious debate, but by setting up some possible situations of some "normal" people's lives, and in the chaos of it all, try to find something more meaningful, and some kind of happiness, some that other people might find as "strange", but if even small, does add to a greater "good". While not the best movie, its also not the worst, is fairly tame in content by today's standards, "moral" without being sappy, and if not a success in the terms of making piles of money and awards, may succeed in it's true goal, getting people to think about things in a bigger view, like what are worth in someones eyes, like say, God, and how that may shape things in their own eyes, and other people's eyes too.
½ September 18, 2013
Sweet, uplifting rom-com. Enjoyed it and recommend it!
September 18, 2013
Excellent, encouraging, and inspiring. A must see.
September 18, 2013
Fun, quirky, rom-com. If you are just going through the motions at your job- see this movie. If you are a woman wondering if the smooth-talking guy pursuing you is a creep- see this movie. If you liked the quirky rom-coms released in the early 90s about young single people trying to figure out love and life (i.e. Singles, Reality Bites)- SEE THIS MOVIE! If you are too young to remember those movies I just mentioned- see this movie! Basically, it will make you laugh, think slightly deeper thoughts, *might* make you a bit weepy. But it definitely won't make you run faster or jump higher. See it anyway.
September 17, 2013
Went to see it with the hubby on date night. Enjoyed it.
September 16, 2013
Loved this movie. Made you think, made you cry, made you want more beauty and eyes to see beauty already in your life. The witty comments between characters made me laugh out loud a few different times. Loved watching the interactions of the retirees and imagining their stories. if you want a feel good, thought provoking movie, check out Strange Brand...you won't be disappointed!
September 16, 2013
Funny and all around entertaining, with a great cast. Clever use of animation between scenes. Would highly recommend this if you want a movie that will make you laugh, cry, and come away happy.
A great movie, loved it
September 16, 2013
Loved this film, and those who made it. Excited for more to come!
½ September 15, 2013
Not your typical movie. One powerful scene by Joe Boyd that was a memorable and moving experience.
September 15, 2013
Lite romantic comedy. Enjoyed it. Worth checking out.
September 15, 2013
A strange brand of happy will satisfy you with comedy and surprise you with drama. A unique movie that emphasizes the mystery of God and how faith is both simple and complex, usually discovered in the very people who believe in him.
September 15, 2013
Absolutely LOVED this movie, the characters were relate-able and real. The movie wasn't the same Hollywood stuff you always see- this movie made me think, made my heart sigh and smile. The character David was a normal guy who fell into a place many have been with depression. I was anything BUT depressed when I left. I left feeling lifted up, and more in love than ever with my husband. Usually when I see a movie I never take the time to tell anyone about it, but I had to tell everyone how good it was.
September 14, 2013
This movie was one of the better romantic comedies I've seen, mainly from the standpoint that - as a man - I do not care for romantic comedies and their predictability. This movie had great character development, tremendously funny dialogue, a relatable cast and the feel of a strong ensemble that I could see working together again. Rebecca St. James is a star in the making and even the supporting cast provided something that most movies do not. I highly recommend this film!
September 14, 2013
very interesting and artistic, a really well done movie for such a young production company.
½ September 14, 2013
I didn't see it. The synopsis just gave away the whole movie!
September 14, 2013
It has been a while since I have had such a strong emotional response to a movie. And by strong emotional response I do not mean crying. The response was more like nostalgia. This movie felt like coming home. The Arthur cartoons reminded me of the cartoons in Better Off Dead one of my all time favorite movies. The residents of the senior living facility remind me of the residents of Worthington Christian Village where I worked in College. They were sweet, a little cantankerous, and ornery. Though dubbed a romantic comedy the movie is as much about friendship as it is about romance. As much about "Philia" as it is about "Eros" in the parlance of CS Lewis. That is I think one of the strengths of the movie, the genuineness of the relationships. Watching this movie largely felt like hanging out with good friends.