A Thousand Years of Good Prayers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Thousand Years of Good Prayers Reviews

December 29, 2015
Wayne Wang's hands-on subject about cultural conflicts between East & West. Sounds so out-of-date stereotype however.
June 29, 2014
Una pelicula maravillosa
January 27, 2013
moving and beautiful
½ June 30, 2012
Soy un cultureta, veo pelis independientes chino-estadounidenses
June 9, 2012
this little film was unassuming, touching and a good play on generation/culture gaps within families. it's one of those films where the most revealing moments are when nothing is said at all.
May 31, 2012
The premise is admirable, as a estranged father needs to reconnect with his daughter a continent and different generation away. However, this short movie could be made much shorter by just showing the last 10 minute scene. Human connections are easily lost and difficult to regain but through patience this father does connect and direct his daughter to a better spot.
May 26, 2012
a good big quiet movie from wang and esp due 2 the performance here of henry o
December 6, 2011
Excellent multi-generational look at an aging Chinese man visiting his westernized daughter in America. First rate. You don't have to be Chinese to feel like you know you these people. Their situation is universal. Lovely movie.
October 23, 2011
This is a moving and beautiful movie. At the beginning the daughter seems cold and distant, but at the end you can understand her distress. On the other hand, her father tries hard to communicate with her, but he doesn't give up.
April 5, 2011
A father coming to visit his daughter in Spokane, WA after her divorce.
Good character development with the father as he takes a peek into the culture of America. A good film from Wayne Wang.
iLeo
½ February 27, 2011
A captivating movie that follows a lonely widower's journey to see his estranged daughter in America. Leaving poignant memories behind in China, Mr. Shi truly hopes that he can reconnect with his daughter, Yilan, and set upon a path where he can truly embrace the genuine meaning of family and fatherhood. He enters a country where the culture is stranger than the language itself, and surprisingly connects and befriends an elderly Iranian woman in a neighboring park. Mr. Shi realizes that in order to fully accept the present circumstances with his daughter, the past must also be fully recognized and accepted whether the many years that have come and gone.
Henry O, Feihong Yu, Vida Ghahremani, and Pasha D. Lychnikoff stars. Worthy!
½ February 15, 2011
Such a beautiful, well-made film.
½ September 27, 2010
A quiet film, but very beautiful.
April 14, 2010
A Grandious Family Drama that goes to the Heart and shows sensitive that we all Humans and Life is hard but beautiful there are Bad People everywhere and bad Things happen but we must enjoy the Good we have the Directions and Performance are hillarious it's one of this Movies that are so wonderful slow and real that you wish it was double as long
March 17, 2010
If I was able to stay awake, I would have enjoyed the movie more. The pace of the movie was SLOOOOOOWWWWW. Father and daughter do not communicate. I get it. But the father can easily talk with strangers. Annoying. I'd rather see more of the daughter. She looked hot.
March 5, 2010
slow but rootsy and indie like the one in san fran looking 4 someone.
December 7, 2009
Very subtle and delicate. Very nice surprise this evening, I'm happy I had insomnia.
October 1, 2009
feels connected to the movie but it ended somewhat dry
August 26, 2009
Interesting movie on father and daughter relationship in Asian culture. I guess it won't be that much different from my own relationship. It was sweet to see how father communicates with new world so effectively with limited vocabulary.
August 20, 2009
an interesting look at modern day parent/child relationships.