A Thousand Years of Good Prayers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Thousand Years of Good Prayers Reviews

August 5, 2009
Save for a few interesting dialogues between the father and the people he meets, overall it is quite a dull movie. It puzzles me when the movie abruptly comes to the near end, with the father and his daughter sitting side by side (as seen on the poster), after a not-so-intense conversation between the two. The conversation is supposed to clear the air of years of misunderstanding but it is simply not "dramatic" enough. You don't sense much emotion out of it. Unless you really crave for a movie made by an American Chinese, you can bypass it.
August 5, 2009
I first did not know what to think of this movie but i really felt touched by this simple but beautiful movie and how the story was told. There was no special effects just simple story telling i loved it.
All about a father and daughters relationship and reconnecting with each other and also a story about cultural understanding and unity overall.
Recommend to all.
August 1, 2009
a quiet movie... maybe too quiet... especially for the first 2/3rds. old man was kind of interesting to watch. then the past comes up and makes for a good scene. then it ends.
½ July 29, 2009
I wish I could say I liked this movie, but I was frankly bored with it. I also had a hard time figuring out why the daughter disliked her father. Maybe if I watched it again, I could get some deeper meaning from it. Nah.
½ July 29, 2009
Quiet, deliberate and but filled with bittersweet moments, this story was emotionally satisfying nevertheless.
July 18, 2009
an interesting look at modern day parent/child relationships.
½ June 17, 2009
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, A gentle, pleasantly unrushed piece of moviemaking. There's a tonic simplicity to how it gets the job done, and if the film comes off as fairly conventional stuff, it nevertheless succeeds on its own modest, middlebrow terms.
June 14, 2009
Very good portrayal of the Chinese family dynamic, with all the little subtleties and intricacies that come with it. Can't really talk of the acting because that is something they know very well so it wasn't very difficult to portray that. The directing though, could have been better. Comprised of a lot of fixed camera shots and tight two shots, not much to the cinematography either. The story also wasn't that good because it really didn't evoke any real conflict that caused anything such to that of real drama. Really slow paced and dragged for the bulk of the film. Actually fell asleep 2/3rds of the way into it and just didn't like it all.
June 11, 2009
la actuacion del viejito y la senora fueron impecables. me llego profundamente.
June 3, 2009
The supporting cast definitely drags this film down. The intense drama addresses generational and cultural differences that are relevant beyond the experiences of recent immigrants. Though much of the film focuses on simple and straightforward dialogue, the main actors do great work in portraying the complex tensions eating at their respective characters.
½ May 31, 2009
It is so close to being a really good movie. Slow-paced is good when you have a lot to reflect on given the slow pace. This movie suffers a bit from its big "reveal" having nothing to do with the rest of the movie. The script needed some work on interweaving itself with the unspoken back story so that when the reveal comes, it feels relevant. It was a bit all over the place and a bit too cursory wherever it went.
½ May 29, 2009
Sensitive, well paced, minimalistic, and realistic. Simple but great movie.
½ May 28, 2009
Beautifully directed by Wayne Wang with his intimate subtle styie and great performance by Henry O as the father who comes from China to live in the U.S. with his daughter after many years of being apart. Very touching film.
May 26, 2009
Touching drama about cultural and generational gaps.
May 18, 2009
Wayne Wang's direction is so poignant, the performances are real and touching. Very well written, a sweet and tender film. Simple and beautiful.
February 8, 2009
I expected more about this movie but actors were ok. There were some funny parts when Henry O (Mr. Shi) and Vida Ghahremani (Madame) were trying to communicate in farsi and mandarin but that was all. The whole movie was sort of slow and emotionless.
January 19, 2009
Los personajes crecen durante la pelicula: signo de calidad
January 7, 2009
A good story... pretty cool how it was filmed in Spokane, WA.. the city where I live.
½ December 2, 2008
I saw the preview for A Thousand Years of Good Prayer, which shows a Chinese man talking on a park bench with an Iranian women; both have problems speaking in English but they communicate and talk about their children. I thought it would be a nice heartfelt movie about two immigrants connecting. That was a part of it... but it was a lot more than that.

There is indeed a Chinese man; he is an old rocket scientist and is visiting his 30-some year old daughter in the U.S.; the problem is that they don't talk... almost at all. The setting is a pretty dull-looking suburban apartment complex, and the only thing to do is to go to a nearby park with some ducks. I had a feeling of depression throughout the whole movie. There isn't really anything momentously bad that happens in the movie; maybe it's that nothing huge happens at all and people are just not happy. It was very non-uplifting, especially as there is no clear resolution by the end. There are a couple funny parts, and some of it is pretty charming as it is a reflection of real life. However, I was expecting a very cute and fun feel-good movie, and it wasn't. It was a snippit of time in this family's life, about some pretty severe communication gaps and how difficult it is to heal a whole lifetime of lack of intimacy and hurt. Some wounds don't heal overnight, and some lessons can't be learned in a short period of time. The film has sincerely stellar acting, and it is serious in a very real way. I can't say I enjoyed the film and maybe it's because it hit too close to home, but I can say it was very good.
November 27, 2008
This was a very interesting film to watch. I liken it to "The Joy Luck Club" since I brought in my bi-cultural 2nd Generation experiences with me. Many of the interaction between father and daughter were very familiar to me. It was very uncomfortable to watch the honesty unravel in this film. Most people who are not familiar with the culture may find this movie slow moving and uninteresting, but this film realistically showed a very real and common relationship/communication between parents/children in the Chinese culture. Perhaps, the ones that are more Americanized are more animated and articulate. For me, it was interesting to see this movie tackle a character who had been ingrained in the Maoist doctrine and Revolution and the aftermath. I've always wondered what happened to that generation. Anyway, the movie will not gain popular support, but I found it very very enjoyable due to the subject matters it tackled.