Aaaaaaaah! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Aaaaaaaah! Reviews

½ July 8, 2017
A look at the modern world but with one alteration: people are essentially neanderthals or cavemen in their development and only communicate through grunts and signs.

A very interesting premise, which is why I watched the movie. However, from the first minute the movie doesn't offer anything beyond novelty value. The plot is pretty random and pointless and seems set up mostly to shock the audience. Many scenes which, while aiming to shock, made me just roll my eyes.

Even the main idea - people behaving like they're in the Stone Age - doesn't work well. The people involved live in modern home with modern technology, yet eat with their hands and don't appear to have any degree of intelligence. The concept was not grafted seamlessly into modern life at all.

End result is an absolute mess. Even worse, it's a pretentious mess. One of the worst movies I've ever seen (and I've seen over 5,000 movies).
½ June 27, 2016
interesting premise, yet unfortunately very dull
½ June 18, 2016
Idea better than actual movie . Watchable coulda been awesome
February 6, 2016
Humans are apes. Apes are humans.
January 23, 2016
I can't knock this movie- it's the movie every 6 year old boy wanted to grow up to make except Steve Oram grew up and made it. And it's not bad for a first feature length film at all. Some genuine laugh out loud moments-the television shows and the trash can scene being my favs- and snappy enough pacing that at least you know the next scene is just around the corner. Considering there's no dialogue, that's a fairly impressive feat. Some bizarre plot choices and bland elementary-school-boy humor keep this at a strictly enjoyable indie movie/cult movie level, but that's not to say its not one of the better choices in its league.
If you think about it, aren't most human dramas just about power plays and masturbation? Aaaaaaaah! just cuts the shit and, with a wink and a nod, gets right to it.
October 10, 2015
VIFF Review: No shame at all in saying that"AAAAAAAAH!" was easily one of the best films of VIFF 2015. It's absolutely ridiculous and absurd, yet, immensely entertaining, jaw dropping, and hilarious from minute 1 to minute 79.
All the characters have been reduced to ape like behaviour, so they all speak in grunt instead of clear dialogue. Despite this, there is a story between all the characters and tons of social commentary to boot.

For absurdists and fans of random humour and shock, "AAAAAAAAH!" is your saving grace. As Monty Python used to put it: "And now for something completely different".
August 29, 2015
A brilliant and highly original film which explores the hidden ape found within us all. Beautiful, funny and shocking at times - expert storytelling and an amazing cast, including some excellent cameo performances. Go and see this film if you can - it's a genius piece of work and wonderfully leftfield in its approach.