Aaranya Kaandam - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Aaranya Kaandam Reviews

September 5, 2013
My best ever movie in indian cinema.A ganster movie which had so perfect through its script.The characters still goes through my heart.Good BGM,brilliant direction and perfect acting and that makes the film worth watching
June 27, 2013
one of the remarkable film ever made in indian cinema.
simply out of box.
½ January 16, 2013
Fearless Movie-making! Thiagarajan is a original creator & his next offering is most anticipated!
December 20, 2012
Downtown gang wars of Chennai never looked tis gud! Its a neo-noir film adopting a Guy Ritchie & David Fincher kinda style/execution with inspirations from 'U Turn' & 'Snatch'.. I guess u get the drift!!
Wit awesome editing, stunnin c'graphy, fabulous direction & exceptional story-telling, its a must watch and a breath of fresh air for Tamil cinema!
½ October 27, 2012
Movies of Quentin Tarantino+Guy Ritchie+Robert Rodriguez=AARANYA KAANDAM
October 13, 2012
One of the best gangster movies from the tamil film industry. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
July 26, 2012
A very rare attempt in Tamil Cinema and its succeeded in delivering it. Unlike other gangster movies, it goes much deeper and shows the dark world and their minds. Thiagarajan Kumararaja is much welcome to Indian Cinema art from his debut film.
July 19, 2012
Though the story is a one-liner, it takes editing, cinematography and direction to another level in Tamil Cinema. Kumararaja had spun out a master-class on his debut.
June 22, 2012
This is one mind blowing movie, the editing,cinematagraphy and bgm are chanceless !! waiting for kumararaja's next !
May 3, 2012
Hw did I miss this film???
March 3, 2012
A stunning, riveting depiction of a day in the lives of a bunch of gangsters set in Northern Chennai, "Aaranya Kaandam" is classic neo-noir in a Tamil milieu unlike anything you have ever seen. You have them all an aging impotent mobster boss, back alley chases, Mexican stand offs with knives that is and a shocking twist, all backed up by some extraordinary performances. Tamil cinema has been going through a renaissance of sorts during the last 3-4 years beginning with Ameer Sultan's "Paruthiveeran" with directors like Sasikumar and Myshkin forming a brigade of young film makers bringing about this change. Director Thiagarajan Kumararaja seems to have clearly drawn inspiration from the works of Tarantino and other European exponents of noir but he expertly manages to keep the movie rooted in it's local settings never getting carried away. Jackie Shroff plays the aging don in one of his most memorable performances and he is ably supported by Ravi Krishna and Sampath Raj who plays his right hand. Yuvan Shankar Raja provides one of the most memorable back ground music one has ever heard in Indian cinema - simply outstanding to say the least - oh by the way there aren't any songs in the movie just the back ground score! The Director clearly is the star here and hats off to him for creating such a daring work which clearly is a master piece.
January 21, 2012
-aaranya kaandam-

directed by
THIYAGARAJA KUMAARARAAJA
- >when i was waching the film. I thought of watching PULP FICTION in tamizh.. and eventually i started disliking the director for his copying aspects... but later in almost half an hour of watching the film.. I got bonded with the film and also realised that he has inspired thoroughly of QUENTIN TARANTINO's work.
->You know what.. he has succeeded in his work because his inspirations helped him to extract the excellence from him throughout the film...
->Being a Quentin Tarantino fan I also enjoyed his work rather than criticizing through comparisons...and stuffs..lik that..
->Dialogue plays an important role and is written by the director himself..Actually i liked his work in ORAMpo itself.. he knows the perfect word where to use and in wat circumstances to use...
->And thats all about the director..he has done a fabulous job..

CASTING
->Brilliant.. wat else to say.. the casting itself will not let you to know wat is goin to happen next..Actually it helped to serve the TWIST cent percent..
->Every one deserves to be mentioned but atlaast they are all brilliantly handled by the dir..

MUSIC
->Good news for all..No songs only BGM..
In most of the scene there will be a song played at the backdrop of it in accordance wit...so as to give you the originality of the scene..
->A tune is been played with GUITAR is really rocking... the speciality of that tune is it fits tothe film.
->YUVAN* shankar raja made me mesmerized with his Music throughout the Climax portion,, actually ..it is a 'rod dashing' sound which gives you the pace to sit tight or to get ready for an ACTION.
---------the style of music is also been insired from QUENTIN TARANTINO movies-------

CINEMATOGRAPHY was good
but
-> the chasing scene throughout the film in which SAMPATH runs should have been shot/taken in much more stylish mannar... anywayz 'not a big issue'

About the film...
-> The whole sequence of the film will take place in just a half day... but it is never been exaggerated...
-> Again the first scene of the film is a fantastic and it is an important scene like all Quentin Tarantino movies
Above all... there is no many cuts(censor)... Even that voice-dripping does't make you mis understand the word..but yes i got irritated due to that..

BOTTOM LINE:
->padam,,,.. '''semma comedy machi'''... can laugh even after a week watchng the film...
->many scenes will make you clap/whistle/scream without hesitation for whom it is...
->Never Ever miss this kind of movie.especially it is first of its kind in INDIAN CINEMA.
->And lastly.. it will become a damn flop movie and never run at the BO..
January 7, 2012
I've never used the word 'masterpiece' to describe a film, but this film is an absolute masterpiece.
I couldn't believe how better and better it kept on getting as the film went on.
I seriously loved it!
½ November 2, 2011
A Gangster film, which has loads of content and style....super!!!!
½ August 25, 2011
Aaranya Kaandam, meaning 'Forest Chapter' in Ramayan, the famous Indian Myth. The story portrays a 24 hrs in which six characters get involved and how it gets finished. I appreciate the director's approach in making th movie. It was a fresh venture in Tamil Cinema. The cinematography, editing, background score and racy screenplay has given the boost for the movie all over. The way the scenes where Pasupathy (Sampath Raj) is being chased to be killed by opponent mafia gang members, the one in which Singamperumal (Jackie Sheroff) interrogates Kaalayan (Guru Somasundaram), and the scene in which Jackie plays nude and the big fight between two gangs are very novice ideas to portray characters on the screen. I admire the fresh thoughts of the debutant director Thiagarajan Kumararaja, for his gallant attempt!
July 16, 2011
I'm so in love with this flick at the moment....... the dialogues, the cinematography, the background music, the screenplay, the direction, the acting- everything almost flawless..... probably the best movi I've seen so far this year.... must watch
July 11, 2011
its out of the box ...esp in the tamil film industry...i felt like watching a hollywood gangster movie in the desi version
July 5, 2011
finally the wait is over! This is some thing which all movie lovers expected from Tamil cinema. It is really nice to see Tamil cinema coming up with different journals of movies. Thanks to Director Thiagarajan Kumaraja for giving us such a wonderful movie. I expect more such movies. cinematography is some thing which has to be really appreciated. Yuvan's music as usual. Yuvan's music during a fight sequence. hmmm no words simply cool. Director has used the resources well. speaking about the artists Sampath Raj - Am actually a fan of him. Once again proved himself as a best actor. Rambo Raj Kumar perfect choice for a gangster role. Ajay Raj - "Auntie man" hehe hehe hehe .. lol .. semma performance. Ravi Krishna and yasmin ponnappa i hated them in few scenes. I felt like over acting. But the climax of the movies gelled the characters very well. Climax is some thing which no one would have expected. Mr. Ondipuli Character & dialogues "NO COMMENTS" Overall a wonderful movie. Highly recommended. Don't miss it.
July 4, 2011
the best movie in Tamil cinema. those who missing the movie is missing the best movie of their life.
June 25, 2011
is way different from its peers, the usual south Indian films. Characters portrayed in this film reflect true human instincts. Background score seemed to augur well with the subject. Definitely inspired from Guy Ritchie's brand of films like lock stock and two smoking barrels, Rocknrolla, Revolver, etc. Warning: Parental Advisory: not just for explicit content but for abusive language :)