The Abandoned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Abandoned Reviews

October 20, 2016
Genuinely keeps you intrigued while putting you in some awfully compromising situations. With the combination of the unique story-line and an ambiance of an abandoned island occupied with a decrepit unlit farmhouse, anyone who deems this unworthy should probably stop watching horror movies.
May 30, 2016
I can't believe more people didn't like this movie. It was a very intelligent horror movie, with some cool ideas I have never seen explored before. I would tell them but don't want to spoil the movie. There was probably 15 minutes at the begging the was buildup, which some people might find boring, but all good horror movies have that. Maybe some of the reviewers only saw the start of the movie? But once it kicked into gear, it was truly scary and had me on the edge of my seat....and there are plenty of scares, believe me. Much better than the well reviewed "The Witch", which was a true bore.
½ April 20, 2016
Nothing new for this B horror flick. Had some scares but the story was weak.
October 26, 2015
The Abandoned is an atmospheric horror film that gets under your skin early with intrigue, however there really is no pay-off for what's going on and more importantly, little of it makes any sense by the ending. Having seen the director's controversial previous short film, Aftermath, I expected to see some pretty wild stuff, but apart from a few jump-scare moments, there really isn't much to see here. The story is incredibly flimsy; a woman goes to Russia upon learning she has an inheritance and the rest of the film is literally her being stuck in this haunted location trying to figure out why she's seeing doppelganger ghosts of herself and the brother she didn't know she had. The ghosts offer a neat spin because they act as stigmata where however they try to harm them, they are actually harming themselves too, which provides some much-needed tension for how to overcome their adversaries. The house itself constantly flips between past and present to slowly reveal the mystery of what happened to them as children, but again, none of it really amounts to much and I became disinterested quick. The ending is pretty grim and there's a pretty disgusting scene involving some pigs, but apart from that, there is nothing to recommend here and this honestly should've went straight-to-dvd. The poster is also complete nonsense: nothing in this movie has anything to do with a doll.
September 19, 2015
Spends far to much time on the set up that it forgets to add a viable story.
½ May 5, 2015
This movie does a good job of combining a few different types of horror: the haunted house, time slip, displacement from society, murderous family... While these are familiar motifs, the combination gives us a relatively unique story.

Atmosphere and tension are well maintained, with only a few incidents where effects detracted. The casting is solid; kudos for not making this some hot Yong supermodel. I wrote enjoyed that some of the correlations evolved over the course of the film, and also that the film didn't hand out all the answers... Good horror should leave you trying to put together the pieces, IMO.

Is have seen this in a theater, and not felt my time was wasted. If you have Hulu or Netflix, and like a good rainy day horror flick, pop yourself some popcorn and give this a go.
February 28, 2015
Russian made horror film. Reminded me of Silent Hill meets The Others. Found it boring. They drug out the storyline and I found myself impatiently waiting for the main characters to get killed off. You can find it on FearNet for free if you must see it but there are much better movies out there to invest your time in.
February 14, 2015
It probably could have been good, but it never really gets going despite a decent enough look and style. The plot simply doesn't progress fast enough and your left with little explanation after 90 minutes as to what the first establishing scene was all about.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Fair horror movie about a woman returning to her homeland Russia to find out things about her family etc. Not directly any violence in this one but some spooky scenes.
½ September 16, 2014
Almost. Tried a bit too hard. If it had been toned down just a bit, it could have been good.
August 11, 2014
Bad movie. Interesting premise, but the film itself is dull, incredibly boring, not very creepy/scary, and has mediocre performances and direction.
July 7, 2014
Well, horror movie does not discharge you from storytelling. I can't say theres no climate but it's not enough.
June 5, 2014
One line summary: Ineffective mostly kid-safe horror film.

----------------------

Five school friends (Sharon, Brad, Laurie, Ethan, Jim) organize to spend Halloween in or near the Jarvis Mine. The abandoned mine is said to be haunted by the ghosts of the Jarvis family, who were murdered so that greedy parties could steal the mine. They bring miner's hats and some climbing supplies (ropes, matches, food) to stay overnight.

They make a short descent down a fairly shallow shaft. They find the Jarvis daughters' toys, plus dynamite, tarantulas, and all sorts of stuff. Things are going fine until someone burns through the heavy rope tied to their base at the level of the mine opening. They try to climb out the way that they came, but fail. So they try alternate routes.

Jim is too large for some of the passages the group attempts, plus he is claustrophobic. So the party separates. Clever. Jim is stuck where he is until someone can extricate him from above, that is, the place where they came in.

The remaining four push on and find more artifacts from the Jarvis family. They follow fresh air. At one juncture, Brad leaves his backpack behind, and goes back to get it. He falls (well, perhaps is pushed) to his apparent death. Sharon, Laurie, and Ethan rush on a bit too quickly.

How many of the scares are Halloween pranks, how many are something unexpected?

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 5/10 Varies considerably, from crisp and nicely shot to full-on shaky cam found-film nonsense.

Sound: 4/10 There is a whole lot of mumbling going on, punctuated by loudness.

Acting: z/10 I hate to fault the actors when the script is so bad.

Screenplay: 0/10 Scary? No. Thrilling? No. Engaging? No.
½ March 26, 2014
As One Friend Said The Movie Feel Was Just Dry/Stale Hense Boring!
½ February 4, 2014
The Abandoned is so preoccupied in establishing the eerie mood of darkness and misery that there is no effort made to occupy it with real thrills or chills.
December 28, 2013
This is just a bad horror movie. There is no storytelling, really, just a string of quasi-spooky, cheap, gotcha scare moments. Made absolutely no sense to me at all...
December 19, 2013
Very atmospheric, brooding chiller that is fitting in the Russian temperament. Worth a watch, if not a repeat viewing.
November 30, 2013
I can't say I did not like the movie but there are many mistakes and confusing parts. The movie is placed in Russia but it was filmed in Bulgaria and you can even see the Bulgarian flag in the begining even though it is supoust to be Russia.
Maries and Nikolais ghost couldn't speek but their fathers ghost could speek Russian and English even though he could not have known English before he died and he had "superpowers" like making them see things in the past etc. Also I don't get how Nikolai figured it all out, based on what???
November 10, 2013
I had a dream and the dream came true,
I saw a ghost and the ghost was you,
but in the dark it was hard to see,
that you we're only make believe.
½ October 24, 2013
It's pretty creepy at times, but I thought the ending was a bit disappointing.