The Abandoned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Abandoned Reviews

½ June 7, 2013
this movie was confusing, boring and not worth the effort of trying to understand what the hell is going on. And scary? not even close. DO NOT RENT THIS CRAP!
½ May 14, 2013
I understood what was going on, but don't understand why the characters did what they did. The girl wanted to find her brother or someone but didn't want to leave even know she was on the verge of death. It was pretty simple to just leave out of France, but she didn't. It was pretty creepy, but this would have been better if the plot was more understandable.
Horrific R.
½ May 10, 2013
A film with a very simplistic plot. The movie waste far too much time trying to build suspense and the atmosphere, resulting in no replay value and little actual entertainment to begin with. This movie suffers from something I call the "climax curse." This film starts out decently interesting with the intro back story and the arrival at the main location for the film... But from there, it simply devolves. It's easy to make the beginning of a scary story... What's challenging to do, is to back it up, have the story become increasingly interesting as it goes on rather than devolve. This is far from the only film to suffer from the climax curse, but it is a prime example of the climax curse at work. I don't recommend this film, you will leave with nothing but wasted time.
April 26, 2013
good movie! seems that sometimes its better not to know some things, some things better to leave to the past and continue your life.
February 25, 2013
Make no mistake that unlike the previous film The Abandoned is polished, features stunning cinematography and a haunting score. What it doesn't have is any real entertainment value or true sense of logic. The film works best as horrifically beautiful sequences and hauntingly grotesque images. Some of which will be permanently burned into your psyche.
½ January 23, 2013
The Abandoned is one of those horror films that had the potential of being so much more than what it turned out to be. As a whole, it is a decent film but it could have been much better. The ideas for a great horror film are there, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The Abandoned combines many horror genres into one film and you can clearly see that there was good ideas at work, but the filmmakers clearly couldn't tie up everything neatly and the film kind of falls apart near the end. However, there are some effective scares at work on-screen, and the cast do a fine job with the so-so material. With a few script rewrites and more thought out idea, the film would have clearly been a memorable addition to the genre. As it stands, this is only worth watching once, and you feel disappointed because this film had some good ingredients to make for a truly chilling movie. Where the film lacks is a compelling, and engaging story. I liked the film despite its flaws, but like I said, it's not something that I'd personally re-watch again and again. Another problem with the film is that it also relies on previously explored ideas from other films that we've seen before and were done better as well. The scares here are good, but there's just not enough originality with this one to really make it a compelling and enjoyable picture for fans to watch. Go in with an open mind, I thought it was a decent affair, with nothing remarkable about its plot, luckily the film had plenty of atmosphere that was dark, brooding and menacing, which made The Abandoned worth seeing. However, I was left wanting more out of the movie.
½ January 18, 2013
This was pretty good. The atmocphere created was almost gothis, reminiscent of old style horror. Keeps you guessing until the end.
½ January 11, 2013
Scary and terrifically atmospheric chiller in Lucio Fulci mode--Horror story full of ghosts , nightmares and eerie deeds!!
½ December 30, 2012
what a waist of time
½ December 22, 2012
Para ser una película que se mira de bajo presupuesto esta bien realizada, la historia es bastante original y las actuaciónes no son malas.

Sin embargo el final es muy malo, tan malo que termina arruinando toda la película. 5/10
December 10, 2012
This is a great movie and it leaves you with a haunting feeling in your gut.
December 7, 2012
Would like to see sometime!
½ December 5, 2012
Slow-burning, suspenseful and surreal.
½ December 5, 2012
There needs to be a 0 star rating for bullshit like this.
November 9, 2012
I was scared to death!
October 29, 2012
Had some great, creepy moments. Story's a bit wonky.
September 30, 2012
Made no sense. Wasn't even scary
½ September 26, 2012
Beautiful cinematography and creepy atmosphere do little to save the convoluted, non-sensical plot.
September 23, 2012
Gripping, suspenseful and keeps you guessing to the end.
½ August 30, 2012