Abbott and Costello Go to Mars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Abbott and Costello Go to Mars Reviews

½ June 9, 2014
fun movie, no one actually goes to Mars, just new Orleans and Venus. "I am with you" got a little annoying. struggled with explaining to my 5 year old why they wanted to bring all the women from Venus back home...
May 14, 2013
Although I appreciate the boys mixing things up in the science fiction department to add a bit of freshness in contrast to their horror riffs, this just doesn't get the job done in the laughs department. The effects are kind of charmingly bad (by design?), and the whole thing is just chronically ridiculous; whereas ...MEET FRANKENSTEIN, for example, plays the genre elements fairly straight (allowing Abbott and Costello's hijinks to stand out in stark, hilarious relief), this movie treats everything as one giant gag, and it doesn't work.
½ May 7, 2013
A great if not perfect comedy.
½ February 19, 2013
Bud, Lou, rockets, and girls--Slapstick sci-fi!!
August 21, 2012
Has a few laughs, but none of the great sketches that the boys are famous for. The tittle is very misleading as they never actually get to Mars. However, I would join them on Venus anytime. This film was made as their contract with Universal was winding down. No longer are they the number one act in America and it is no wonder why. The act is becoming old hat and it seems like they have forgotten how to be funny.
½ July 10, 2012
This is one of my favorites of theirs. It's great to watch them misinterpret everything around them, thinking they're on Mars.
January 28, 2012
This movie only picks up when they get to Venus (they never go to Mars...) and meet Anita Ekberg, Mari Blanchard and the other Amazonian-like costumed bathing beauties. For Abbott & Costello die hards only.
½ January 14, 2012
A classic & my 2nd fave A&C as a kid. Believing New Orleans during Mardi Gras was Mars was hilarious. O, those wicked wicked Venusian women...
December 27, 2011
Yeah its funny. More so when they land on 'Mars'. Weird little doppelgänger moment that really serve no use to the plot. Still has some great comedy moments.
½ December 10, 2011
...and here you thought that my movie collection only consists of recent movies.

The comedy duo of Abbott and Costello is my all-time favorite comedic duo. While I haven't seen all of their movies, I've seen most of them. It's very hard to review a film from 1953, least of all a movie that is so similar to other Abbott and Costello movies.

In Abbot and Costello Go to Mars (1953), Lou Costello plays Orville (a fairly typical Lou Costello character name), a 39-year-old orphan who jumps on to to a delivery truck driven by Bud Abbott's Lester. Lester works for a facility called (I'm not kidding) Experimental Lab, which has built a space ship in order to travel to Mars or Venus, because those are the closet planets. They take a vote (not kidding) and decide to go to Mars.

Through a series of misadventures, Orville and Lester end up 'accidentally' getting aboard the space ship and taking off. After flying around a city, the rocket lands in New Orleans during Mardi Gras (of course). Orville and Lester think they're on Mars, and Mardi Gras people think they are simply participating in the celebration. Since everyone is wearing extremely similar costumes with large heads, our duo believe they are still on Mars.

Meanwhile, two escaped convicts find the space ship and the stunning ray guns "like the ones Flash Gordon uses" aboard and decide to put on the space suits and rob a bank and a clothing store. Since they are looking for men in space suits, Orville and Lester are suspected as the criminals.

To make a long story longer, the criminals and our duo end up back on the space ship and launch again (after our duo discover that they are really in New Orleans and not on Mars). They think they're going to Mars, but the scientists from Experimental Lab notice via their television screens that the ship is closer to Venus. Orville ends up turning the tables on the criminals and flipping the switch to go back to Earth. Instead, they land on Venus which is populated entirely by (obviously) beautiful women and ginormous dogs. All the women of Venus want a king and so they end up crowning Orville (who thinks he's back on Earth and in Los Angeles at first), and all of the other men end up getting arrested and making out with the reluctant women captors (I really wish I was kidding at this point).

I'm too saddened at this point to continue the synopsis, so on to the review:

Go to Mars is a later Abbott and Costello movie, having been made in 1953. I'm not as big of fan of Mars as I am of earlier movies, mostly because there is not as much clever wordplay in the back-and-forth between Abbott and Costello and there is a lot more slapstick than I like. The early comedy in the movie is mostly Costello falling all over the place or running in to things. That's not to say that there aren't genuinely funny moments. Lou Costello is enjoyable as always and once the physical comedy is done, the movie gets much better.

This movie almost feels like they are trying to hard, which may be true at this point in their careers. Perhaps this film was made mostly out of demand for them to make a space movie than anything else. As far as Abbott and Costello movies go, this is not even close to the best. But, if you need an example of what a beautiful woman looked like in 1953 - go fr it.

MyTake: 3/10
½ April 1, 2011
A goofy, silly movie, but fun. Overall, it's not a good movie, but if you like Abbott and Costello, you'll enjoy it anyway.
½ March 28, 2011
Not the best Abbott and Costello Film but still very enjoyable as the boys, get in a rocket ship and accidentally launch it, they buzz around NYC and land in Louisiana outside New Orleans but thy think they are on Mars as everyone is running around in Mari Gras Costumes. They run in to two bank robbers who also get on the ship and they once again launch and this time land on Venus with nothing but beautiful women. Can only give this one 3 1/2 stars as just not the over the top comedy as seen in other films.
½ July 21, 2010
just ok a couple of yucks
½ December 4, 2009
This film was made after their hay day was over. But I found it ro be hilarious. Lou Costello is amazing as always.
October 11, 2009
Lesser Abbott and Costello movie but still a lot of fun.
July 29, 2009
The title pretty much says it all. Terribly cheesy, over the top and lacking most of the clever writing that made Abbott and Costello movies so great. Still, there is no denying the fun factor. The joke that they never actually go to Mars is rather funny and the escaped criminals play as amusing low key doubles of the boys. Also gotta love the Venusians.
July 5, 2009
I have the collection of these two and I watch them often
May 7, 2009
Not bad.. There are some clever jokes to keep this going. A and C accidentally launch a rocketship to go to Mars. When they land, they think it's Mars, but it's actually New Orleans during Mardi Gras LOL. After, they pick up some escaped convicts and back into the spaceship they go, and they wind up on Venus which is dominated by women. The first half is much better than the 2nd half actually, because there's so much more they could have done with it.
½ April 5, 2009