Abbott and Costello Go to Mars Reviews

• Nov 19, 2016

The first time I saw this was in a movie theater. It was either at the Des Plaines theater or at the Portage. I can't remember which. It was for a monster show that Big John was running. #SloppyJoes

• Jun 09, 2014

fun movie, no one actually goes to Mars, just new Orleans and Venus. "I am with you" got a little annoying. struggled with explaining to my 5 year old why they wanted to bring all the women from Venus back home...

• May 12, 2013

Although I appreciate the boys mixing things up in the science fiction department to add a bit of freshness in contrast to their horror riffs, this just doesn't get the job done in the laughs department. The effects are kind of charmingly bad (by design?), and the whole thing is just chronically ridiculous; whereas ...MEET FRANKENSTEIN, for example, plays the genre elements fairly straight (allowing Abbott and Costello's hijinks to stand out in stark, hilarious relief), this movie treats everything as one giant gag, and it doesn't work.

• May 07, 2013

A great if not perfect comedy.

A great if not perfect comedy.

• Feb 19, 2013

Bud, Lou, rockets, and girls--Slapstick sci-fi!!

Bud, Lou, rockets, and girls--Slapstick sci-fi!!

• Aug 21, 2012

Has a few laughs, but none of the great sketches that the boys are famous for. The tittle is very misleading as they never actually get to Mars. However, I would join them on Venus anytime. This film was made as their contract with Universal was winding down. No longer are they the number one act in America and it is no wonder why. The act is becoming old hat and it seems like they have forgotten how to be funny.

• Jul 10, 2012

This is one of my favorites of theirs. It's great to watch them misinterpret everything around them, thinking they're on Mars.

• Jan 28, 2012

This movie only picks up when they get to Venus (they never go to Mars...) and meet Anita Ekberg, Mari Blanchard and the other Amazonian-like costumed bathing beauties. For Abbott & Costello die hards only.

• Dec 27, 2011

Yeah its funny. More so when they land on 'Mars'. Weird little doppelgänger moment that really serve no use to the plot. Still has some great comedy moments.

• Dec 10, 2011

...and here you thought that my movie collection only consists of recent movies. The comedy duo of Abbott and Costello is my all-time favorite comedic duo. While I haven't seen all of their movies, I've seen most of them. It's very hard to review a film from 1953, least of all a movie that is so similar to other Abbott and Costello movies. In Abbot and Costello Go to Mars (1953), Lou Costello plays Orville (a fairly typical Lou Costello character name), a 39-year-old orphan who jumps on to to a delivery truck driven by Bud Abbott's Lester. Lester works for a facility called (I'm not kidding) Experimental Lab, which has built a space ship in order to travel to Mars or Venus, because those are the closet planets. They take a vote (not kidding) and decide to go to Mars. Through a series of misadventures, Orville and Lester end up 'accidentally' getting aboard the space ship and taking off. After flying around a city, the rocket lands in New Orleans during Mardi Gras (of course). Orville and Lester think they're on Mars, and Mardi Gras people think they are simply participating in the celebration. Since everyone is wearing extremely similar costumes with large heads, our duo believe they are still on Mars. Meanwhile, two escaped convicts find the space ship and the stunning ray guns "like the ones Flash Gordon uses" aboard and decide to put on the space suits and rob a bank and a clothing store. Since they are looking for men in space suits, Orville and Lester are suspected as the criminals. To make a long story longer, the criminals and our duo end up back on the space ship and launch again (after our duo discover that they are really in New Orleans and not on Mars). They think they're going to Mars, but the scientists from Experimental Lab notice via their television screens that the ship is closer to Venus. Orville ends up turning the tables on the criminals and flipping the switch to go back to Earth. Instead, they land on Venus which is populated entirely by (obviously) beautiful women and ginormous dogs. All the women of Venus want a king and so they end up crowning Orville (who thinks he's back on Earth and in Los Angeles at first), and all of the other men end up getting arrested and making out with the reluctant women captors (I really wish I was kidding at this point). I'm too saddened at this point to continue the synopsis, so on to the review: Go to Mars is a later Abbott and Costello movie, having been made in 1953. I'm not as big of fan of Mars as I am of earlier movies, mostly because there is not as much clever wordplay in the back-and-forth between Abbott and Costello and there is a lot more slapstick than I like. The early comedy in the movie is mostly Costello falling all over the place or running in to things. That's not to say that there aren't genuinely funny moments. Lou Costello is enjoyable as always and once the physical comedy is done, the movie gets much better. This movie almost feels like they are trying to hard, which may be true at this point in their careers. Perhaps this film was made mostly out of demand for them to make a space movie than anything else. As far as Abbott and Costello movies go, this is not even close to the best. But, if you need an example of what a beautiful woman looked like in 1953 - go fr it. MyTake: 3/10