Abel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Abel Reviews

½ November 9, 2013
Its simplicity is the greatest charm of this heart-warming little jewel from actor-turned-director Diego Luna, whose experience in Hollywood gained him a promising career as a filmmaker.
½ August 29, 2013
A simple yet original directorial debut from actor Diego Luna centers on a poor Mexican kid (Christopher Ruiz-Esparza in the title role) who gets out of a hospital after spending two years there for psychological treatment for a condition that was seemingly caused by his dad's (Jose Maria Yazpik) departure. His mother (Karina Gidi), older sister and younger brother try to deal with him and then one day he takes on his lost father's role as man of the house!

Intriguing premise somehow works as it showcases how a simple family can accept anything for happiness. This would have been really ludicrous and funny with the wrong lead but Ruiz-Esparza is serious and heart-rending in his delivery that he makes this work. Other actors are strong overall especially Gidi.

For some reason, the movie loses a bit of its power when the father re-enters the picture and we get to know his story (which I won't ruin here), mainly because one feels a disconnect between his story and Abel's condition. But overall an engrossing movie with some surprisingly tense (especially the finale) and other heartwarming moments.
July 10, 2013
This is definitely not a neatly packaged film, which makes for great interpretation and analysis. What is the true role of a father, and can it even be simply defined? Add to that mental health issues, and you have a film that takes you on an interesting, and sometimes freaky, journey.
June 22, 2013
Endearing film that addresses mental illness in a way that is accessible to all.
It does a good job showing the effects of mental illness on the family system. Outstanding performances! I enjoyed it very much!
½ March 25, 2013
I respect the film for tackling a very particular and unique mental state, the premise is quite different from any film I've seen. The performances were good, especially from the main character, some of the best acting I've seen from a child, considering the subject matter makes it more impressive. Taking the precocious little kid and turning that on its head is a good move and layering a bunch of family drama on top definitely got my attention. However, as the film progressed, it got more and more silly until it suddenly got very serious then it ended somewhat abruptly, somewhat leaving us back where we started. Maybe it's a testament to the film that I care so much, but I was definitely left wanting more.
March 22, 2013
Dolorosa, divertido, amorosa y por supuesto, con una excelente dirección. Muy real la película.
March 10, 2013
Funny, sad, visually and emotionally engaging Mexican film about a young boy who thinks he is the father that previously walked out on the family.
½ January 6, 2013
Aplausos de pie Diego Luna good job!!!
September 18, 2012
The kid who plays Abel is fantastic, the movie is bizarre, original, and hilarious (darkly so)
July 7, 2012
Asombroso desperdicio de personajes gracias a una extravagancia exageradamente notoria por parte del director y guionista.
June 6, 2012
Extraordinario guion y magnifica ejecución.
½ March 9, 2012
70% A boy with a mental disease, Is not a bad movie but Diego Luna should act and let the ones who know how to do this job do it
December 16, 2011
Te envuelve simplemente, intrigante y mas que entretenida, lo cual representa mas que una esperanza para el cine mexicano. Es buenisima.
November 13, 2011
Y Abel quedo peor, pero muy buena la pelicula
October 6, 2011
Yes. This film from Mexico is that good!
July 15, 2011
Historia extraña donde un niño con trastornos psiquiátricos se cree el jefe de la familia, esposo de su madre y padre de sus hijos, bastante compleja, se puede ver
June 30, 2011
An intriguing and emotionally engaging film with a fantastic performance from Christopher Ruiz-Esparza as the kid with issues.
½ May 15, 2011
despues de los primeros minutos en los q no entiendes bien que es lo que esta pasando, la pelicula se vuelve interesante y entretenida, un buen debut de diego luna como director, peliculas asi te dan confianza en el cine mexicano. por cierto una actuacion esplendida del niño
May 12, 2011
It get's you in to the emotions of Abel's family and has a very good sense of humor.
April 23, 2011
Realmente bizarra esta opera prima de Diego Luna (el amiguito de Gael García en "Y tu mama tambien" (2001)). Obra escrita y dirigida por el mismo sobre una familia abandonada por su padre donde el hijo del medio, de unos 9 anios, se chifla y cree ser el padre de la familia.
Raya con lo absurdo y por lo tanto se convierte en inverosimil haciendo perder interes mas por la no tan buena interpretacion de Christopher Ruiz-Esparza (Abel).
Parece que Luna siempre estara a la sombra de Gael.