Abilene Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Abilene Town Reviews

July 8, 2011
Randolph Scott could make a good b-movie Gary Cooper, that has to be said... :)
½ September 7, 2010
Tuesday, September 7, 2010

(1946) Abilene Town
WESTERN

Anybody familiar with 1952 Best Picture nominee "High Noon" would know that the theme came from a short story called the "The Tin Star". But in terms of movie influences is concern- I feel this one is one of it's major influences such as the lone sheriff against all odds! They're some great dialogue here about the dilemmas about becoming a lone sheriff which was used in "High Noon" as well. And the singing of one of the songs by hoards of people was also used in High Noon as well as the use of Lloyd Bridges who starred in both films! The plots are different because the story involves the friction between cattleman and the farmers and the two sheriffs who come between them because of their dependence of the town for supplies!
I would've given this film a higher rating except that I don't care too much for the singing from one particular chorus girl which I felt sang one song too too many!

3.5 out of 4
June 1, 2010
The only thing notable about this bland Randolph Scott snoozefest is the appearance of Edgar Buchannan ("Uncle Joe" on "Petticoat Junction") as a spineless Sheriff and Hank Patterson (Mr. Ziffel on "Green Acres"). Fortunately for them better days were ahead. Ditto for Lloyd Bridges who plays a homesteader being attacked by the cattle men.

Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z.
½ June 27, 2009
At 63 years old I'd still call this Western a well done film. There's the classic fights and shootouts but the story is led by a moral law-abiding marshal (played by Randolph Scott) who frees the town of Abilene from its history of violence under the ruthless cattlemen.
December 31, 2007
I love almost anything with Randolph Scott.