About Elly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

About Elly Reviews

October 12, 2015
Wow!! Can't quite understand the hoopla about this film. From the beginning, just dialogue that goes no where, to the end, where it ends where we expected it to end all along. Imagine if you lost your keys, and every family member kept repeating, "Where could your keys be? Are they in your pocket? Oh no, I thought I saw them in the basement!!!" Then here comes the climax. You found your keys where you usually keep them!!! Boring dialogue, and the movie is completely filmed at this beach house, with the characters going in and out of the house jibber jabbering, and then onto the beach, and then back in the house, "Oh, where is Elly!!" Wow, come on. This movie sucked.
October 8, 2015
Retroactively released after the success of A Separation and The Past, About Elly is a simple drama that occurs over one weekend that spirals out of control. A school teacher named Elly is invited to a getaway near a beach, but things quickly escalate when she disappears. Then more secrets and lies get uncovered, and what follows is a tense drama with solid performances. It doesn't have the bite of Farhadi's later movies, but its still a decent watch for a minimalist drama with lots of insight into that culture.
½ October 6, 2015
I thought A SEPARATION was one of the best films of its given year. I understand ABOUT ELLY came before that film but just released this year and I can easily say this new film from Asghar Farhadi is one of the year's best. It starts off as a drama about a group of friends on vacation and ends up being a dark mystery where nothing is what it seems. All the characters are suspicious and you have no idea who to trust. Farhadi is great at developing his characters slowly in the beginning, setting everything up, so when the real plot kicks in, we too are able to judge them because we feel we have known them the same amount of time as those on screen.

Grade: A
September 27, 2015
Average at best, I don't see why this movie has so much hype.ï¿ 1/4
½ September 21, 2015
A good Iranian drama although the personalities seem to be somewhat interchangeable. The direction is rough in spots. Segues a bit confusing. All-in-all a good to watch flick that reveals much about the Iranian culture which is good compensation for any short-falling.
September 19, 2015
Watch only if your copy has good English translation. The takeaway is a glimpse of modern Iran: it's both conservative (the sacredness of marriage, unmarried couples don't go on trips together) and the dark side of it (domestic abuse). At the same time, the characters seemed normal, have access to cellphones, women drive cars and seem cheerful and content, at least in the First Act of the film. Unfortunately, we got a poorly translated copy in that one of the characters, visibly very upset, was offered a "sedative" in which the upset character said "toilet". At least, my Baes and I have a new inside joke. ??
½ September 19, 2015
For sheer cunning in scriptwriting, About Elly aces! As with the highly-lauded A Separation, Iranian maestro Asghar Farhadi is at the peak of his powers with this chilling twisty-turny thriller that examines (with scalpel-precision) the devastating consequences of lies. Though it starts off deceptively-perky (though peppered with nuanced foreshadowing), Elly starts plunging the viewer into psychological unease as lie after lie are laid bare after a near-tragedy. Sure to please fans of Hitchcock!
½ September 19, 2015
9/18/15 Netflix
Another winner from the Academy Award Winning Director who brought us Separation. Seems the Iranian film industry is alive and well. This movie has a good story plot, interesting twists and turns, an intriguing mystery and an ending that will leave you satisfied or maybe not. The real story is how a situation that is totally unexpected can cause people to relate to each other in surprising ways. Very entertaining and thought provoking. Already looking forward to his next film.
September 18, 2015
An intriguing rare peak into the culture of lies that the film suggests permeates a misogynistic society.
September 18, 2015
Almost like a.thriller because it is so tense. Even after ending I'm quite not sure what happened. Felt very real and not at all movie like. Was like I was easedropping.. I like this film maker. the movies are very well done and not at all hollywood.
September 17, 2015
Enthrawlling and top notch performances create an eerie and chilling mystery movie
September 13, 2015
A lady dies which is quite a big deal but the melodrama that follows is pretty ridiculous. I don't really understand the plot very well. You'd think that someone dying was bad but somehow we're led to believe a white lie is a bigger deal. I got bored and disinterested.
September 7, 2015
Superb acting. Story was less than I expected.
½ August 21, 2015
WOW! If Iranian cinema has films like this to offer, I've really been missing out! A total modern-day homage to Michelangelo Antonioni!
August 16, 2015
Magnificent script writing and acting.
August 9, 2015
Best part of the film: the waves at the beach. Which in a way symbolize the entire story. What I did not like was the end, we never knew if it really was her at the morgue, or what was up with the boyfriend and many other things. Then again, maybe that was the beauty of the film, it kept you guessing and did not give you away its secrets, even in the end.
August 9, 2015
7.6/10
About Elly was an interesting movie but to me the mystery wasn't that over the top as I expected, but it felt more about the others and how they reacted to this situation, which was also good. That being said, this movie was about human reactions to an alarming situation, and that worked but not 100% to me. However, the performances were really good and were probably the reason of why the movie was compelling and how real it felt.
~August 8, 2015~
August 2, 2015
Beautiful script fabulous theme and as usual another master piece
½ July 23, 2015
Ahmad: A bitter ending is better than an endless bitterness.

Asghar Farhadi es un director que toma premisas convencionales, y logra entregar relatos llenos de suspenso y decisiones difíciles. En About Elly, un grupo de amigos deciden alquilar una casa en la playa. Sepideh es la encargada del viaje, y decide invitar a Elly, la profesora de uno de sus hijos. Su intención es emparejarla con Ahmad, uno de sus amigos quien se acaba de divorciar. La situación es torna incómoda ya que es evidente sus intenciones desde el principio. Elly es una mujer misteriosa, y no estamos claros de quien es, o que esconde. Durante el segundo día del viaje, Elly desaparece. Lo que sucede luego, afectará no sólo el viaje, sino la dinámica del grupo drásticamente.

About Elly es una película que te mantiene al borde del asiento. Es inevitable ponerse en los zapatos de los personajes, ya que es fácil sentirse identificados con ellos, y con las decisiones que toman. La trama no es para nada predecible, y constantemente nos sorprende con nuevos giros dentro de la historia. Asghar Farhadi tiene una facilidad increíble para lograr que el público se sumerja en la historia. No es común ver personajes como este grupo de amigos en el cine. Normalmente jóvenes musulmanes son vistos de manera negativa, y acá son como personas normales y convencionales. Se divierten y se comportan como cualquiera. Siento que es importante presentar este tipo de personajes para dejar atrás los estereotipos.
Las actuaciones son increíblemente realistas. Se siente como si fuéramos testigos de las vidas de estas personajes y como si realmente existieran. Las actuaciones de todos son magistrales y aportan a el realismo de esta película. About Elly es una obra casi perfecta. El final no me dejó totalmente convencida, y la inclusión de su "prometido" fue un poco abrupto, pero también le añade esa cara de el machismo dentro de la sociedad musulmana.
July 15, 2015
Almost if not as compelling as his "A Separation", director Asghar Farhadi proves once again to be a maestro of drama both in direction and writing, and instill the idea that a world is always going on outside the frame of the camera.