Otôto (About Her Brother) (Younger Brother) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Otôto (About Her Brother) (Younger Brother) Reviews

March 12, 2015
Is this a remake of the 1960 bleach bypass film?
½ May 9, 2014
Very well done movie, but uneven in theme. At the beginning it seemed like a comedy, but it turned serious later on and got progressively more depressing.
I didn't actually like the brother at all, and I couldn't figure out why Ginko felt indebted to him for naming her daughter, and not even a nice name, when she had chosen names of her own (I guess that must be a Japanese thing!). I certainly wouldn't have been paying his ex girlfriend my life savings.
Towards the end I felt sad for him, but that was only due to the turn of events. Actually he'd been a childish and irresponsible man his whole life. His apology was moving, but it came without reason or explanation as to why he had behaved as he had.
The movie did feel overlong and it felt like a few things could have been omitted, while a few of the characters were underused. The grandmother, for example, was quite a sour faced amusing woman. I also liked the daughter, although her second engagement felt rushed. Even to the point Ginko had to ask who she was marrying!
I caught this on sbs. I am glad I didn't buy it or pay money at the cinema. I am glad I saw it, but once was definitely enough.
September 15, 2013
must say bravo!

super late review.
November 26, 2011
Yoji Yamada aka the modern day Ozu, gives us another fine film about family issues. The last 30 minutes are quite tearjerker without any melodrama baiting.
September 18, 2011
Ototo is principally a slice of life movie that focuses solely on core family values and traditions. The unconditional care and love for the black sheep of the family which caused nothing but trouble right to the very end. Lots of melodrama and a very slow pace...but equally rewarding nonetheless.
May 13, 2011
A história de um irmão insensato e de sua irmã mais velha, uma moça bondosa que continua a acreditar nele, mesmo quando toda a família o vê como um estorvo. Um dia, um incidente põe fim à relação entre eles, e o irmão se encontra sozinho e devastado. Quando eles finalmente se reúnem, a irmã descobre que seu irmão está lutando contra uma doença fatal.
½ April 26, 2011
Yoji Yamada is pretty good at depicting family relationships, but this movie dragged a bit more than the other ones of his I've seen.
½ March 5, 2011
While parts stray close to J-TV drama melodrama, Ototo is a touching drama that explores the strained relationship between two siblings and the effects its has had on their family. Subtly constructed in typical Japanese-cinema fashion, it may not be up to the aesthetic standards of other countries' cinema techniques, yet it delivers on an interesting story with some good performances.
January 10, 2011
En litt snodig film. Om en alkoholisert og problematisk bror som ingen ville ha kontakt med men som til syvende og sist var de glad i han alikevel. Så moralen må vel være at all familie burde tas vare på.
½ December 8, 2010
Give it up for Tsurube Shofukutei, because in the hands of another actor his role as the Younger Brother would have probably been insufferable. He makes his character as annoying as it is possible, but still manages to get us in the end.
November 22, 2010
solid drama, good central performances
funny moving and sad at the same time
saw happy family plan driectoe Tsutomu Abe at the screening
November 22, 2010
'About Her Brother'. A decent, dysfunctional dramedy to start the Japanese Film Festival, but I was hoping for better, to be honest
October 10, 2010
Mostly, we get tacky tearjerkers from Japan, but once in a while, we get a sincere gem like this one. Based on the classic film by the late master Ichikawa Kon in order to pay tribute to him, the acclaimed veteran Yamada Yoji brought us a truly moving family drama after the successful "The Samurai Trilogy." Definitely a must see of the year.
June 24, 2010
About black sheeps in a family. Very real and very family orientated. Great stuff.
June 13, 2010
a simple love for family
May 23, 2010
Very touching movie and all the casting is great.
May 22, 2010
Another movie of Yoji Yamada about family relationship. Sayuri Yoshinaga acted a sister this time and the performance is still attractive, although I felt her performance in Kabei is even better. The part about the little brother's final night is touching.