About Schmidt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

About Schmidt Reviews

August 17, 2015
Looks really funny and I love Jack Nicholson, so looks awesome.
½ August 16, 2015
'Life is nothing more than a failure''
½ June 26, 2015
This is a great movie about old age, Nebraska, retirement, longing, disappointment and the meaning of life. I loved how Payne tied the retired insurance executive Warren Schmidt's fate in with the pioneers and the whole history of Nebraska there at the end. The movie was fantastic up to then but that scene (in Kearney, Nebraska) just put it over the top in a very satisfying way.
May 7, 2015
The world needs more Jack Nicholson
April 23, 2015
Nicholson gives one of the best performances of his career as a old retired man looking back on his life and his legacy. Through a clever means of narrating letters to an African child through a charity program we get an honest look at a mans life. The story is at times funny, dramatic, and in general true to life making it a recommended picture for those who don't mind a slower paced character study
April 7, 2015
Love Jack Nicholson in this, he's brilliant. The film, while at times sad and touching, has a number of genuinely funny moments.
½ February 27, 2015
The deeply thought provoking final minutes of this film make it largely worth seeing on its own merit, though the rest you need to know About Schmidt is that it's occasionally funny and consistently poignant.
February 17, 2015
awesome black comedy from director of equally good 'election"
½ February 12, 2015
- Watched again on blu-ray. This is a rare movie that actually get's better for me each time i see it, up to 3 or 4 viewings now. I think Nicholson is at his best here, he is so good, and it's quite different from his usual roles. Kathy Bates is awesome as well and Dermot Mulroney makes me laugh in this. Check it out!

- Just watched this again on TV, such a good movie. Very well written and Jack's best performance in some time.
January 8, 2015
Jack Nicholson gives one of his best performances in this Alexander Payne-directed dramedy. Nicholson plays a man who retires, at least a bit unwillingly, with his wife dying not long after. He then travels in a motor home to his daughters wedding, a wedding a to a man he doesn't really approve of. It is a well directed and well written movie that is sweet, bitter, funny, and dramatic all held together by Nicholson's wonderful performance. More than 30 years after Nicholson burst onto the scene in "Easy Rider," he proved he still was one of the finest actors in the business.
½ December 7, 2014
I'm afraid that, although, in it's own right, this is a good film, this film will be forgotten all too easily simply because there are too many like it. There is very little in the way of original ideas here.
½ November 29, 2014
I am a Jack Fan so his performances is always great!!! I appreciated the dry humor...
November 24, 2014
In this superb performance of Jack Nicholson, he shows the depths of the character he can reach to give a fulfilling performance. A very slow paced and beautiful movie which really hits you by the end during his monologue.
½ October 28, 2014
A touching and deceptively authentic performance from Nicholson and a heartfelt screenplay are the only redeeming factors in this otherwise run-of-the-mill biopic.
September 29, 2014
Yeah, alright, I did shed a tear or two, but it was still an incredibly dull movie. Maybe I'll appreciate it more when I'm sixty-six. Fresh tomato for the way Jack Nicholson pronounces "Ngudu", plus it was nice of Michael Payne to include some existential questions which I, personally, have a soft spot for.
September 27, 2014
Presenting a soul-crushingly bleak portrayal of everyday life before offering a glimmer of hope, "About Schmidt" can be tough to sit through, but Nicholson is brilliant and the payoff is wonderful.
½ September 15, 2014
Nicholson is fantastic and Alexander Payne is as zany and comedic as ever in a film that will entertain and amuse throughout. One of Nicholson's shining moments late in his fantastic career, About Schmidt is an entertaining and funny film that will make the audience think, cry, laugh, and smile throughout. Pushing the boundaries of your normal comedy, Alexander Payne's authentic style comes full force making comedy out of the real life drama that encompass his character's lives.
½ September 7, 2014
Nothing really happened! It's a film about nothing in particular - he retires, his wife dies & his daughter gets married - all pretty usual occurrences! I didn't find anything moving or too original in this at all, which is a shame, since Nicholson is not bad in it, it's just a 2 hour long film of no particular consequence.
½ August 12, 2014
Can't believe I have waited 11 years to finally watch this What a film.
Made me laugh,
Made me cry,
Made me think
Jack Nicholson one of my fave actors of all time
August 6, 2014
Jack Nicholson and Kathy Bates give one of the best performances of their careers.