About Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

About Time Reviews

September 20, 2016
Jeg liker tanken om reise i tiden, og gjenkjenner meg i hovedkarakteren. Budskapet om nyte hver dag er ogs bra.
September 12, 2016
This is my favorite love story because it is about making mistakes, and finding the perfection in the imperfections of life and love.
½ September 9, 2016
After turning 21, Tim is told by his father (Bill Nighy) that the men in their family can travel in time, and Tim uses this new power to find love. There is lots of humor in Tim's trial-and-error outings with time travel, filled with cheerful banter; but ultimately Tim learns that finding joy and satisfaction in the here-and-now of everyday occurrences of life are the keys to happiness. The father-son love story is as powerful as the love story between Tim and Mary (Rachel McAdams).
½ September 7, 2016
A film that was destined to be predictable and boring surprised me with a plot about love that isn't always about finding your soul mate. Very well acted, especially in the case of Rachel McAdams. Really solid film.
½ September 1, 2016
No score cuz it suks
½ August 30, 2016
An unusual twist to the time travel concept, worth checking out!
½ August 26, 2016
About Time is most certainly one of the best made romantic comedies of the last decade: it's original, it's genuine, beautifully shot and the perfect soundtrack is just the cherry on top of the cake.
What an amazing job done by director Richard Curtis, who also wrote the screenplay.
For sure it has its flaws, like any other movie with time travel in them, but the honesty and the positive emotions that this movie can give largely make up for any of those flaws.
Terrific performance from Rachel McAdams and heartwelming chemistry between her and Domhnall Gleeson.
One of the very few movies that I enjoy watching again.
½ August 26, 2016
One of the very few movies that I enjoy watching again.
August 21, 2016
What a great movie...love his father..the premise is just wonderful...and you get pulled in immediately..
½ August 16, 2016
one of my favorite time travel movies
August 14, 2016
The story is pleasantly surprising and sophisticated enough to justify its premise. It's heartbreaking and inspiring, and though it may play out like a romance, the message is more transcendent and fulfilling then just the pursuit of love. The best parts I think though are the ones between Tom and his father; Bill Nighy is spot on as the aloof, caring father and the two are a great pair on screen.
August 13, 2016
just amazing movie. though its about a man who is looking for true love but the father son relationship is just too deep and amusing.... must watch
½ August 9, 2016
Entertaining low-key time travel/romance

A recent book (Twee: The Gentle Revolution in Music, Books, Television, Fashion, and Film by Mark Strand) has announced the arrival of The Age of Twee. Twee, if I understand it, is a generational cultural movement like punk, but is more or less the opposite of punk, and to some extent a reaction against it. Where punk was cynical, gritty, defiant, aggressive, and disorderly, twee is sentimental, gentle, retiring, friendly, and innocent. If punk is a cold slice of leftover pepperoni pizza, twee is a fresh baked ginger cupcake with vanilla frosting.

About Time seems an exemplar of The New Twee consciousness. This film set in contemporary Britain (Cornwall and London)is the story of Tim, the son of an eccentric family whose men have always had the ability to travel back through time, as his father (Bill Nighy) informs him on his 21st birthday. Understandably skeptical at first, Tim finds he actually can time travel, a talent he devotes mostly to trying, rather awkwardly, to manage his relationships with women, finally finding his true love in the form of an attractive though somewhat nerdy American girl, Mary (Rachel McAdams.)

The story is what might be called a "soft" time travel film: the time travel is effected simply by willing it, with no technology involved, and works only going into the past and back to the present starting point, so there are no science-fiction-like visions of the future. The movie emphasizes relationships over physics, and though it's frankly sentimental, and I thought a little long for the material, the script is intelligent and the acting very good.

I think About Time would appeal to those who want to see a film that interestingly combines romantic comedy and time travel fantasy, and who don't mind if it's a little, or more than a little, "twee." It may really be a three star film overall, but I'll add a fourth star for the film's exploration of some of the personal ethical implications of time travel, an issue which seems rarely considered in other time travel films I've seen. Advisory: ridiculously rated R for occasional language and a few explicit but fairly mild sex scenes. The Universal Blu-Ray disc is of very good quality; there is also a standard DVD available.
August 8, 2016
Managing to be heartwarming without forgetting to be honest is About Time's strongest asset. With some strong performances, an uncommonly interesting premise despite being a romantic comedy and and overall uplifting atmosphere, Richard Curtis's time traveling drama is a charming, smart and thoroughly enjoyable experience.
½ August 6, 2016
A surprisingly excellent and hilarious romantic comedy. Probably one of the best I've ever seen. The sci-fi/fantasy twist was an added bonus. Great performances and a nice message about enjoying life. A must-see.
August 2, 2016
Some may think it a stretch to call it my favorite movie, but it's so good!
August 1, 2016
All I have to say is this way a great movie that I happen to just watch one night on a whelm...
½ July 19, 2016
I wish I were privileged enough to relate to this trite attempt at romance.
½ July 14, 2016
Fun movie with an interesting story and some heavy life lessons too. Well enacted and directed.