Above and Beyond Reviews

• Jan 12, 2020

Brilliant, fascinating, illuminating work. Historically educating for anyone who wishes to know more about Israel. Also casts a light on post WW2 antisemitism.

• Oct 12, 2019

Another typical Western propaganda flick attempting to demonize Arabs and prop Israelis as saintly victims. How surprising.

• Feb 18, 2018

An outstanding documentary which is also beautifully made. I loved the way surviving volunteers told their stories while interwoven with historical and archival footage. The whole event was brought to life in an immediate and palpable way, beautifully illustrated, very suspenseful and profoundly moving.

• Jul 16, 2017

True Heroes who were key to Israel surviving the battles and war of 1948. And, an excellent documentary. Excellent.

• Jan 20, 2017

True story with lots of courage

True story with lots of courage

• Feb 23, 2016

Learned some good history. It was interesting that we pat ourselves on the back so hard for "stopping the Holocaust," and yet "left them out there flappin" when they were defending themselves?

• Feb 23, 2016

Good history on good people.

Good history on good people.

• Feb 17, 2016

A wonderful and thrilling documentary full of pride and enthusiasm. The participants gave such vivid accounts of the events it was as if you were in the cockpits with them.

• Dec 22, 2015

Absolutely phenomenal doc. Had me crying and laughing. Very good interviews and very informative. I wish I could tie this into my curriculum so I could show it to my students.

• Sep 20, 2015

This is the story of the origins of the Israeli air force - which didn't really exist as a fighting force. It was created by a handful of American Jewish former WWII pilots who defied Truman, scraped a few planes together, and made it down to South America, up to Africa, Morocco, and eventually Rome to defend the newly created state of Israel from the Arab attacks which began on its first day of independence. In 1948 the British decided to wash their hands of the area then known as Palestine. Some areas were reserved for Jews and others for Arabs, and the U.N. voted for and formally supported the creation of the Jewish state. The Arab nations, most notably the adjoining states of Egypt, Jordan and Syria, would not accept this agreement. They aligned forces which were intended to destroy the Jews and their new state on the first day that the British moved out. The movie covers much of this war for Israeli survival - with the focus on the contributions of the air force, as recalled by several old farts who joyously recount their story and reminisce about how many times their lives were in imminent danger. Hearing the many tales of ridiculous unfavorable odds, and situations which by any reasonable expectation would have been catastrophic, any atheist might tend to believe in divine intervention. Director Roberta Grossman creates a strong narrative out of a series of anecdotes fondly recalled. The talking heads are limited and interspersed with much historical footage as well as what appears to be recreations of many stories, sometimes viewed from the cockpit, sometimes from the air or ground. What begins as a couple of lucky feints (they called themselves the 101st division to make it seem as though there was more than one) run in some jury rigged... former Nazi Messerschmitts... the guys gradually get more and better aircraft, and a few more pilots, and become a decisive force. You'll get a real sense of how possible it is to pull off the impossible, and also get a decent introduction to the story of Israel's greater war for statehood.