Open Your Eyes (Abre los Ojos) Reviews

• Oct 23, 2019

Open Your Eyes (Abre los ojos) is a terrific science fiction psychological thriller that's both intense and brilliant in its concept. It's an influential movie about dreams and reality that is such a memorable cinematic experience as it's technically stupendous and fascinating in dialogue and themes. This is Alejandro Amenabar's finest picture that is also a terrific showcase for Eduardo Noriega and Penelope Cruz who both delivered stupendous performances in very interesting roles.

• Aug 09, 2019

A movie that has something to say and a story to tell, refreshing !

A movie that has something to say and a story to tell, refreshing !

• Oct 10, 2018

El segundo largometraje de A. Amenábar peca inexpertamente de intentar ser demasiadas cosas a la vez. Drama romántico, thriller psicológico y hasta fantasía de ciencia ficción. No es una película perfecta, pero sí es una historia increíblemente original que desafía las posibilidades del cine para emocionar y sorprender. Un clásico del cine español de fin del siglo anterior, que se siente más bien como de comienzos del nuevo.

• Sep 29, 2018

One of the greatest movies of all time.

One of the greatest movies of all time.

• Apr 04, 2018

What a trip. Many years and thousands of movies ago I watched "Vanilla Sky" and I loved it. Only now I find out it was a remake (and taking in considerations that I live in Spain is pretty bad). The story is great, and thinking that came out even before Matrix it's amazing. Sure, the US version is more pop, more glamorous, but I am so glad I finally saw the "soul" of the movie in this amazing Spanish original version!

• Jul 08, 2017

clever physiological thriller exploring the collision between dreams and reality. An infatuated woman Nuria tries to kill Cesar after he starts to date Sofia. after the crash Cesar begins to lose is memory and believe Sofia is the women he loves and not nuria as his mind becomes confused. The remake was 'Vanilla sky' with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz and penelope cruz

• May 29, 2017

Remade as Vanilla Sky, Abre Los Ojos is a strange tale about vanity and identity from Spanish writer/director Alejandro Amenábar. Cesar is a rich playboy who falls for the enigmatic Sofia. However, he is being pursued by Nuria, a sexually predatory and jealous woman and her passion will lead to tragic consequences...except nothing is quite what it seems. This is a complex, disturbing, psychological thriller that doesn't always quite work but come pretty damn close. Penelope Cruz is simply enchanting as Sofia, stealing each and every frame she is in, running rings around a rather starchy and unlikable Eduardo Noriega as Cesar. This is definitely a strange movie with a bizarre and fantastical plot that poses far more questions than it answers.

• Oct 06, 2016

Interesting story minus the horrible makeup.

Interesting story minus the horrible makeup.

• Sep 28, 2016

Alejandro Amenabar co-writes and directs Abre los ojos (Open Your Eyes). Eduardo Noriega is Cesar, a wealthy playboy who is currently fooling around with Nuria (Najwa Nimri). When his best friend Pelayo (Fele Martinez) brings his friend Sofia (Penelope Cruz) to his birthday party, he believes its love at first sight. The two connect and the next morning Nuria picks him for a car ride. In a jealous rage Nuria drives them into a wall killing herself, and severely scaring his face. His life spirals into a depression, and the story then shifts to him interviewing a psychiatrist (Chete Lera) in a murder case. At this point of the film, the audience puts you in the point of view of the main character as we are as confused as he is. The concept of the main character sharing the same perspective of being lost as the audience is the brilliance of this film. Cesar seems to have only one constant in his life and that is his love and desire for Sofia. Between the murder, dreams, and circumstances, Cesar is not even able to determine reality which then of course makes him question his own sanity. For many people, this is an audience turn off as they want to know what is going on in a film at all times. Even if the audience does not like the direction it cannot be denied that the story is interesting and very original. Penelope Cruz was an extremely sexy and was the perfect dreamy like character to play the role of Sofia. The film is a bit raw and is undoubtedly confusing, but this is part of what makes the film for such an entertaining view. The direction keeps the film at a good pace, but with the exception of Sofia and the psychiatrist, the few other characters seem a bit too distant and underwritten. Despite this, Cesar's journey is intriguing enough, and the film keeps you guessing and ends with a conclusion that hardly anyone could predict. I did see this film after watching the film Vanilla Sky, which is a remake of this film. Having seen Vanilla Sky first, and knowing the ending of course and many of the matching scenes, naturally has a huge impact on a film of this type. I cannot help but wonder how much more or less I would have enjoyed this film had I seen it first. Comparing the two films is difficult as they have quite a different feel and look to them. The stories are similar, but there are notable differences in the characters, and the locations differ between Madrid and New York City. Open Your Eyes has a much darker, and raw element to it. Vanilla Sky has a much more polished and lucid look and feel to it, and in my opinion does improve on some of the story elements of Open Your Eyes. These elements include the conspiracy theory aspect that this film alludes to Cesar's partners. The aspect of Cruise being a publishing mogul gave the character a better sense of entitlement and wealth, that was missing from Cesar being with a catering company. The friend Pelayo is also given more depth in Vanilla Sky. Despite these differences, Open Your Eyes certainly stands on its own merit for its solid direction and original story. -9.28.2016

• Sep 25, 2016

Intelligent psychological thriller. Excellent Spanish film.

Intelligent psychological thriller. Excellent Spanish film.