The Absent-Minded Professor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Absent-Minded Professor Reviews

½ January 29, 2016
Original and proper imaginative Disney.
January 10, 2016
Fred McMurray is the fuel that makes this Disney family pic go oh yeah and a flying car
½ November 8, 2015
Full of charm and hard to dislike.
½ April 23, 2015
A goofball Professor accidentaly invents Flying Rubber, or Flubber...and he uses it to make his car fly and help his school's basketball team win. It is goofy fun for the family, the movie is cheesy and silly, but it has some genuine fun too. Recommended for families.
½ March 2, 2015
The magic of Disney films has captured my heart since I was a young boy, and one of my favorites of their live-action collection was always The Absent-Minded Professor. Looking back on it now, having gone about 20 years without seeing the movie, I still find it to be an entertaining film. Sadly, while some of the humor was absolutely perfect for me as a child, I don't think it is quite as funny for me as an adult. However the film still has a good story, and a couple of scenes that I absolutely love. For those who don't know the plot of this movie, Fred MacMurray plays an easily distracted college science professor with the comically on-the-nose name of Professor Brainard. The Professor is hard at work on an experiment to discover a new kind of energy when he, almost by accident, creates the remarkable substance he dubs "Flubber." When the value of this new element is discovered, a number of people swoop in to try and take it for themselves, but Brainard is more interested in winning back the heart of his fiance. What surprised me is how I was mixing up scenes and plot points from this movie with those in the sequel "Son of Flubber." Apparently I need to watch that film again too, so I can clear up what happened in which movie and establish if one is definitively better than the other.

I love the cast in this film. Fred MacMurray perfectly captures the scatterbrained professor, and in a way where I can see why he is so clueless about how he's losing his girl. However my favorite performance is from Keenan Wynn as the villainous business tycoon Alonzo Hawk. He is that kind of antagonist that works perfectly in a family film like this, because he has a gruffness that seems intimidating along with a fiery temper. But when his plans go wrong it is so easy to laugh at him as well. One of the odd things, that I think this movie is smart to avoid spending much time explaining, is how inconsistent the rules of Flubber seem to be. It's hard to know exactly why it does some of the things the Professor gets it to do, and why it seems out-of-control sometimes but very manageable at other times. But if you just forget the "science" of the movie there is a lot of fun to be had, particularly in the basketball scene (one of my absolute favorites.) And, considering the fact that this film was made more than 50 years ago, it's impressive how they were able to pull off some of the special effects (every time that car takes off into the air it is a flawless effect.) While I recognize The Absent-Minded Professor isn't as amazing as I remembered it, I still think it's a fun family film and one that I get some enjoyment out of even to this day.
½ November 23, 2014
August 24, 2014
Wacky and unforgettable. Ned Brainard creates one of the coolest movie inventions ever, flubber! You're looking at one of the best live-action Disney features and one of the best Disney films period. (First full viewing - Summer 2009)
July 8, 2014
Back in the 1960s, Walt Disney had produced some interesting films of a creative nature. One of these being the 1961 comedy "The Absent-Minded Professor". Despite being over 50 years old, the film is still good after all these years. However, there are a few things that do not work which need to be discussed. "The Absent-Minded Professor" is a unique family film that brings to mind the originality of the Walt Disney Company.

The story is that Prof. Ned Brainard (Fred MacMurray) has invented a new type of energy that could change the world as we know it. He creates a substance that is he classifies as flying rubber, or flubber as he puts it. This ultimately costs Brainard his fiancee Betsy (Nancy Olsen) to break up with him after he misses their wedding for the third time. Brainard tries to explain flubber to Betsy, as well as the United States government, but they won't listen. So it's up to Brainard to demonstrate to the world and to Betsy, the positive effects of what flubber can do.

"The Absent-Minded Professor" is an entertaining movie for the whole family to enjoy. Fred MacMurray does a great job as our main character. Everyone else does a good job as well Even Keenan Wynn who plays the bad guy does a great job. The music fits the college setting fine, and and there's a lot of energy (no pun intended0 that this movie offers. Having the movie being filmed in black and white shows off some great cinematography; a much better choice than color. Yet out of all things considered, it's the special effects that are the most remembered. For the time, these effects were and still are pretty amazing. Take the basketball game where acrobatics are heavily used to pull off most of the stunts. Yeah, it may look cheesy by today's standards, but this was before the age of computers.

With that being said, there are some problems that downgrade the movie. The character of Betsy totally changes character near the end of the film. The reason for this is that throughout the picture, she hates Brainard, yet here she shows compassion towards him. The story is a little hokey, but it's enjoyable to say the least, and some of the jokes are hit and miss. And finally, the movie does have a slow start, but once it gets going, it's pretty fun.

"The Absent-Minded Professor" is a unique and original production, despite a few flaws that hinder the movie, yet it is still enjoyable enough from Walt Disney.
½ October 29, 2013
This Disney classic is very enjoyable.
September 22, 2013
Another of my childhood favourites, I found this by mistake, and thoroughly enjoyed every second. This is a fine Disney film, before they started making awful rubbish like the Tinkerbell film.
August 1, 2013
Enjoyable family fun. The basketball scene the highlight here. This was the film Robin Williams film "Flubber" was based on.
½ February 4, 2013
A very crazy film, but still enjoyable. I found myself laughing at some parts in the movie because they were that hilarious. I can't really call it any of Disney's strongest works, but it's still some great entertainment. Take it for what it's worth.
October 1, 2012
If you're looking for something that won't scare the kids on Halloween but also something all ages can enjoy, this Disney fantasy about a college professor who forgets his own wedding but creates a substance called Flubber, capable of anti-gravity, is perfect. Fred MacMurray is hilarious as the well meaning but bumbling Professor, Nancy Olsen is the frustrated but still in love fiance and Tommy Kirk scores one for the teen scene as the benched athlete with the crooked father who steals the Professor's flying Model T. A Disney classic that holds up better than anything Disney has put out recently, it's a fun movie with some great performances and lots of laughs.
½ May 14, 2012
I loved this movie! The old classics are always so much better than the remakes, and this was so much better than Flubber! It was a funny, feel good classic!
April 20, 2012
I saw this so long ago... don't really remember it. I do remember it being sorta boring and over the top. I don't know.
½ March 29, 2012
An imaginative and charming offering whose hit-and-miss special effects are overshadowed by the energetic and enduring performance of Fred MacMurray.

Remade as 'Flubber' in 1997 starring Robin Williams.
March 23, 2012
Such a great old Disney film. Fun for the whole family.
½ November 26, 2011
Much More Enjoyable Than The Remake.
August 6, 2011
flubber for the ones whove seen it, its based on this movie and honestly this is the best of the two. witty and funny but with a lot of heart
½ July 5, 2011
I just love Fred MacMurray!