Ace Attorney - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ace Attorney Reviews

January 2, 2017
Charming and funny. The intentional cartoonish portrayal of the classic video game series makes this a laughing riot with hints of drama added in.
September 11, 2016
A fun adaptation. I hear it's not even as over-the-top as the video games, and this movie is pretty spectacular. The story is also kinda heartwarming. Gotta love everyone's hair in this, omg.
July 19, 2016
Ace Attorney is directed by Takashi Miike, and the film is based on the Capcom game called Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney that is about a rookie defense named Phoenix Wright (Hiroki Narimiya) that has to deal with three cases, all involved with murder, and it's up to him to see the truth to know whether the suspect is guilty or not. I haven't played any of the Ace Attorney games, but I have seen videos of it before that I'm a bit familiar with the characters, the story, and the style of gameplay. So when I saw the trailer for it, I'm looking forward to it despite being skeptical of the fact that it's a video game adaptation film. The only problem however, is that the DVD copies of Ace Attorney are not in North America, and it's been out for 4 years in Japan. Luckily I've managed to find one on YouTube, even if it's not in the best condition, and I can say that not only is it one of the most faithful video game adaptations I've seen since Silent Hill probably, but it's the best I've seen so far. The acting is pretty good, which I know some people might have a problem with it being over the top, but it worked for the film's humor. The characters in this, actually look like the characters from the video game, and the plot is mostly like it too, which I didn't think was possible. The way that it shows the evidence to the crowd was very clever, and it brings out some great visual effects. The humor in it is pretty funny, but then there were weird moments that were a bit too silly for me to handle. There were some characters that are developed fine like Phoenix Wright, Larry Butz, Miles Edgeworth, and some others, but there are other characters that really could've been worked in and not be bland in this film. It is a bit overlong, but those are the only problems that I have with it as I have a great time watching Ace Attorney, and I hope that we can finally find the definitive video game adaptation film in the US that is just as faithful to the source material as Ace Attorney is.
January 16, 2016
This movie is the BEST Game to Movie adaptation I've ever seen All the way down to the Costume (which i believe is the best part honestly) This movie embodies the true culture of the original game and I believe it is the bestmovie adaptation i've ever seen!!!! 100000000% would recommend! :D
½ January 2, 2016
A near perfect movie adaptation of the hit video game it was based on, Ace Attorney managed to break the stereo typical "game movies are bad" with an exceptional care to detail and staying true to the game while providing a fresh twist on the cases!
October 25, 2015
dispite being an Japanese adaptation of a popular video game it doesn't really translate very well in some degrees it's very funny this has a better rating then american adaptations of video games.
October 22, 2015
awsome movie Sticks to the games and is worth a watch if you love the ace attorney Ds games
October 18, 2015
ace attorney delivers, this movie is so awesome like the games, I haven't seen it yet.
October 17, 2015
Never would I think a film should be made of this game. Of course it looks like a bunch of cosplayers decided to put it together, goofy hair and all. Certain details of the cases are different and Maya needed to be more peppy, but it kinda worked and kept faithful to the game's structure and over-the-top silliness.
August 29, 2015
An amazingly tight movie. the story is very interesting and definitely doesn't shy away from embracing what everyone loves about the games. but the mystery they are trying to uncover is very well paced and the revelations feel earned. none of the reveals feel like they came from left field and there is enough evidence for you to figure things out before the characters but you will be too captivated by the story to want to jump ahead. a solid recommend.
June 3, 2015
True to the first game for the most part. There were some things changes and some cases were glossed over, but it still runs like a crime drama with random obsurd elements like the games.
½ April 19, 2015
So silly, but I loved how faithful it remained to the game.
March 21, 2015
A piss poor attempt at making a great visual novel game into a movie.
½ July 29, 2014
I didn't realize that this film was based on a (Japanese) videogame, but in retrospect the plot clichés and the two-dimensional characterizations do seem to fit the mold. Director Takashi Miike adds a dash of flash to the proceedings with an extra helping of CGI, an oddball supporting cast, and, in fact, a steady hand on the controls. After all, someone who has directed 90 projects (not all of them films) since 1991 (according to IMdB) must know a thing or two about managing dramatic tension - especially in a courtroom drama. (That's not to say that Miike doesn't let some of his films get out of control - probably on purpose). The twists and turns of the current movie unfortunately didn't quite grab me, seeming too artificial, unmotivated, and ultimately clichéd. However, I never played the videogame.
July 12, 2014
The games were great but going past that with a movie and musical is a good example of doing more that you can with a franchise. Unfortunately the lovable characters in the game cant really be captured in live action.
Cinema-Maniac
½ April 15, 2014
Capcom's "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney" video game franchise has a small, but devoted fan base. The game themselves are known for being strong adventure games, having great presentation, music, and dialog, while at the same time criticized for being too linear, lacking replayability, and little in the way of innovation with each installments. What makes this adaptation questionable is this being director Takashi Miike second video game film adaption. His first was "Yakuza: Like A Dragon" which as a fan of the Sega franchise nailed the look, but failed in the story department. For Ace Attorney, Miike learns from some of his past mistakes to craft a decent film that can appeal to both fans of the video game franchise and the uninitiated.

Ace Attorney plot follows rookie Defendant Phoenix Wright, as he tackles a series of cases that slowly unfurl to reveal a twisted plot that stretches back several years ago. One thing that translates to the big screen successfully are it court cases and mysteries. As the further it moves along the more plot thickens while keeping you guessing. Throwing you off with twists and short usage of light supernatural elements. In the opening, we see a women being possessed and get introduced to a character be possessed by ghosts for a job profession whose only in used whenever it plot needs a push. Court trials are always high in creativity. Without being set into the real world trials are depicted like large sport events with a highly reactive crowd, CRT monitors that show evidence with holograms, and the varied personality of the witnesses. These trails session bring to center all the evidence gathered for a battle of wits between attorneys that goes back and forth in whose favor the case is in. Having five court cases these kind of scenes supply the film finest moments of writing even if some odd elements are in play. The weakest area is characterization being slim. Some backstory is given on why Phoenix Wright became an attorney and the relation between some of his friends. However, such moments become buried as the film thickens the mystery and court cases it forgets about its characters. They are likable characters, but not won't leave as much of an impression as the court cases and mysteries do.

Takashi Miike is very faithful to the visuals of the game while making necessary changes. This is the very reason for one of the film's most obvious additions, the holographic evidence windows. Ostensibly made to emulate the game's court record, they do far more by creating a way to make even the most mundane piece of evidence exciting and engaging. They also serve to set the time period, with comically large CRT monitors being used in flashbacks. Everything from the game is captured from the clothing, the locations, down to the varied hairstyles. The distinguishing hairdos get embellished right out of the realm of the possible, and are even used for some of the best jokes. But despite the spoofy approach the drama surrounding these characters still gets treated with a lot of respect, and the film retains a lot of heart because of that. Hiroki Narimiya gives a terrific comedic performance underneath the awesomely aerodynamic haircut. He creates a great contrast between a look that's supposed to evoke the slick, confident attorney and the knowledge that he is in way over his head. Akiyoshi Naako is a good foil as Wright's junk-dealer friend Larry Butz, while Takumi Saito plays Phoenix's opposite number as an ideal combination of smugness and dedication. There are a lot of other great little supporting turns, too, from Mirei Kiritani's charming Maya to Mitsuki Tanimura's brash Lotta Hart and Ryo Ishibashi's intimidating Von Karma. Music wasn't one of traits that translated into the adaptation. Granted they adds a lot in making courts trails far more exciting than most films do, but aren't as memorable for most tracks go for being loud over having a building rhythm.

Ace Attorney translates the video game series onto the big screen emulating the appeal of the series. Not only does it closely resemble the game series visuals, but also written in a way that will satisfy fans of the game and is accessible for newcomers. It's a step forward for video adaptations that shows respect to both the material and its fan base without alienating its audience.
March 4, 2014
Possibly the best Video Game adaptation ever translated to film!
November 28, 2013
A good adaptation of the game with a interesting case.
½ November 20, 2013
As a fan of the franchise, loved it to pieces!
October 17, 2013
While the costuming seems a little goofy and there's many moments where I just went "What?", Ace Attorney is a surprisingly good video game adaptation with an intriguing story and some genuinely funny moments.