Aces High Reviews

• Jul 09, 2017

Very good film and very realistic. No computer generated crap.

Very good film and very realistic. No computer generated crap.

• Sep 26, 2016

as part of my research for the ww1 set play reading in which im a lieutenant, I get to look at some old stuff like this gem for research with some great flying sequences and that lovely natural 70s look and feel, and the great storied Malcolm McDowell in a perfect role and the legend Christopher Plummer not for everyone but a good viewing

• Jul 04, 2015

very dark and shows the true horrors of war

very dark and shows the true horrors of war

• Jun 01, 2015

Reasonable, if predictable, WWI flick, with decent flight sequences for the time.

• May 17, 2015

Aces High is an excellent film. It is about the high casualty rate among the rookie pilots of the Royal Flying Corps during WWI. Malcolm McDowell and Christopher Plummer give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Jack Gold did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and action. Aces High is a must see.

• Nov 23, 2013

This is the WW1 flying film I've always wanted to see. It's what Flyboys wanted to be. This film is about a week in the life of a British squadron on the western front. They fight, they fly, they party, they suffer. They are not cartoon heroes, but real characters. Each one seems to be based on a different pilot and method of coping. They have the fresh recruit, the shellshocked survivor, the tortured commander, the courteous older veteranâ?¦ Malcolm McDowell's war hero commander is probably the most complicated character. He has wild mood fluctuations, needs booze to get in the cockpit, and occasionally expresses a childish enthusiasm that seems utterly at odds with his normal persona. The only thing is that given McDowell's other roles, I kept expecting his inner psycho to come out. It's a wonderful performance, it's just a matter of expectations. At any rate, I've been looking for a good WW1 flying film and until now found them all surprisingly lacking. The Blue Max was grim and rather unlikeable, Flyboys cliche-ridden and cheesy, Biggles a farce, Red Baron overly-enthralled with its hero, and most of the others are much older and thus more limited in what they can present. This is rather the best of the lot.

• Jul 19, 2013

Pretty good World War I period piece with some fine performances (particularly from Christopher Plummer) and excellent aerial action sequences. Unfortunately, the direction is uneven and includes some jarring mixing of lighthearted music and dialogue with somber situations, making some of the acting feel forced and giving the whole film an unpolished feel. Still, it gives us a good picture of the typically short lives of RFC pilots, and it does make us care about them, so it's a good film despite its rough edges. Three stars.

• Sep 24, 2012

Journey's End in the Air

Journey's End in the Air

• Jun 03, 2012

A rare example of Malcolm McDowell breaking through his typecasting of crazy deviant villain and getting to play a normal person. His performance as squadron leader Major John Gresham sports allot heart and humanity in addition to his own unique eccentricities that showcases the mostly unused range as an actor he possess. After a career of playing heavies and crazies you're almost waiting for McDowell to crack up in some way, but those honors go to Simon Ward, as an aviator whose will and slowly his mind unravel over the course of a few weeks. The film's countdown of days acts as an effective tie to a rather ominous line of dialogue from Ward and gives the movie's final scene of fresh recruits reporting for duty extra emotional heft. Christopher Plummer, who flew a bi-plane more then 20 years later in the WW II drama Closing the Ring, here lends able support as "uncle" to the young aviators and shares good chemistry with McDowell. He's an actor who can just as easily intimidate (see The Scarlett & the Black) as appear to be extremely compassionate and reassuring as he is in this film; acting as a sort of den mother to both young and old in the squadron. The movie capture well the carefree attitude of the flyers often in stark contrast to the poor grunts who fight in the trenches. Nonetheless danger and death haunt every moment they are in the skies as the movie shows some remarkably horrible deaths including plane on plane collision and one pilot catching fire in his plane and jumping out, burning all the way down to the ground. In comparison to more recent films on WW I aviation like Flyboys and The Red Baron, the drama covers similar ground and it clearly outdone in the aerobatic sequences in terms of intensity with CG effects, but the performances are more engaging here I feel. There is also an argument to be made that the reality of real planes flying through the air makes a better impact visually then seeing well-rendered but obvious CG planes dueling it out. Including The Blue Max, there are few in this sub-genre of war film and if you are a fan then this movie is a must watch.

• Dec 12, 2011

Bit of a dull war movie here. Mcdowell and Plummer are certainly interesting to see on screen together, but can;t really save this tedious movie here.