Action Jackson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Action Jackson Reviews

August 13, 2013
This 1988 action movie is a classic! You had a lot of stars in this movie! You had Carl Weathers, Vanity, Sharon Stone, Bill Duke, Al Leong, Craig T. Nelson, Miguel A. Núñez Jr., Sonny Landham, Charles Meshack, Brian Libby(from the movie Silent Rage starring Chuck Norris as the unstoppable silent killer).
July 14, 2013
Pretty terrible, looks like they were trying to make this into an action franchised but it was just terrible. Carl Weathers does his best but the script is weak and so is most of the a action.
½ June 20, 2013
Following his producing success creating a series of classic 80s action films that include "48 hrs," "Lethal Weapon," and "Predator," Joel Silver produced an action film starring Carl Weather as Jericho "Action" Jackson. This film seems much smaller compared to Silver's other films, such as "Die Hard," which was released the same year as Jackson, but it's still kind of a fun 80s time capsule to unlock. Craig T. Nelson is the kung-fu fighting bad guy and Prince's ex-girlfriend Vanity is along for the ride, getting to sing a few times, and you also have Sharon Stone before she hit it big, along with Thomas F. "Biff" Wilson. You also get some iconic 80s character actors Al Leong (the Asian guy who tortures Mel Gibson in "Lethal Weapon," has the cleavers in "Big Trouble in Little China" and eats a candy bar in "Die Hard") and Ed O'Ross (the guy without the mole on his forehead who always played evil Russians). You also get to see 80s familiar faces Bill Duke as an archetypal shouting police captain, and Robert Davi as a tweaker. There's even an excellent 80s style music score by Herbie Hancock and Michael Kamen, with sharp action cinematography by Matthew F. Leonetti. However, the key missing elements are a witty script, which really makes you appreciate what Shane Black and Steven E. de Souza brought to their films, and a star who brings self deprecating charm or humor to the film. Arnold was not all that self deprecating in his action films, but he did almost always bring humor. Weathers is a big dude with some charisma, but he lacked the humor and charm of the best action stars. I suppose Stallone managed to get by on Rambo being a humorless characters, but he wasn't so successful in films like "Cobra." If you're in an cheesy 80s action flick sort of mod, it's worth watching, but it's far from being a n 80s classic.
May 26, 2013
When Action Bronson explained he got his name from Action Jackson, I was once again reminded I have to see this movie. Maybe I watched it as a kid, on VHS - I had some slight flashbacks - but watching it now was pure joy. It's like The Last Boy Scout, only sillier and more over the top. You've got Apollo Creed as Jackson, 80s one hit wonder and Prince's protege Vanity as the bad girl gone good (but she was always good, yo, just in the wrong crowd), Craig T. Nelson as the slimy villain, Sharon Stone as his naive babe, and a bunch of assassins and goons that are just perfect stereotypes of the action genre. Action Bronson is a loose cannon cop, has a police captain that is always on the verge of insanity because of the damage he does while busting crime, he can fornicate with women just by looking at them, he can destroy cars with his bare hands, and has biceps as big as The Rock himself. As far as fun, action-packed, 'so bad it's good' movies go, this is a stellar masterpiece.
May 20, 2013
At least shazza kept her legs closed for this one
½ April 4, 2013
I love these 80's henchmen with their black outfits, mullets and inability to shoot straight. Add to that some extremely over the top action sequences and a large piece of wood in the form of Weathers and there you have it, a perfect 80's action film.

This film is your typical tough guy flick with the same kind of action as many many other classic films like 'Lethal Weapon' and 'Red Heat' etc...Funnily enough this film has a few main cast members from the Arnie vehicle 'Predator' with Landham and Duke alongside Weathers. Talking of the cast this film has a mega cast of stars/80's faces...Robert Davi, Thomas F. Wilson, Craig T. Nelson, Sharon Stone, Ed O Ross, Miguel A. Nunez Jr and the ultimate henchman Al Leong. Only guy missing here is Arnie himself.

I gotta admit I never really liked this flick as it just seems like a big action vehicle wannabe and just can't quite compete with the real big boys. I think Weathers is coming off a hot streak of films where he wasn't the main lead so the film didn't rest entirely on his shoulders.

Weathers is a good tough guy, looks good and talks the talk but I just don't think he's got enough swing to hold an entire blockbuster film all on his own. For me he works better with other big names to spar with (no pun intended) eg. 'Rocky' and 'Predator'. The same goes for the main bad guy played by T. Nelson, he's slimy but isn't quite evil or threatening enough.

Overall its a slightly unimpressive outcome but that lively 80's buzz is hard to ignore. Bit of a hit n miss non event action flick in an already flooded genre at the time.
April 1, 2013
Wow this was really bad! The plot was borderline incoherent, the editing very poor and there really was not that much action in a movie called "Action Jackson". Still there were enough so bad its funny moments to keep this from being a 1 star film.
½ March 24, 2013
Although destined never to be mentioned in the same breath as Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sly Stallone (a pity one might argue), Carl Weathers has a good old crack at 80s action stardom in this typically ludicrous adventure, starring as Jericho "Action" Jackson - Track & Field star turned Detroit cop - with a Harvard law degree (!) - who finds himself up to his neck in explosions, mulleted assassins and gratuitous nudity when local auto empire boss Peter Dellaplane (Craig T. Nelson) makes a bid for power. It's good fun, a must-see for any fan of 80s action, but held back by a plot that becomes unnecessarily drawn out after the fast-paced first act and a disappointing lack of action for the leading man (over 30 minutes go by before he even gets a fight scene!) The best thing about the film (apart from the taxi somersault of course) is the cast - perhaps the best collection of 80s action stalwarts outside of Tango & Cash: Bill Duke, Sharon Stone, Al Leong, Robert Davi, Ed O'Ross, James Lew and Charles Meshack to name but a few.
February 17, 2013
At least Carl Weathers had charisma. Whatever happened to him?
½ February 10, 2013
If your scraping the bottom of a barrel for more Carl Weathers films, then look no further. I got this gem in a walmart bargain bin for $5.
½ December 25, 2012
Terrible movie from a critic's standpoint: Poor plot, the acting is comical, and the "cheeziness" of the writing and one-liners make Chuck Norris' material sound fresh. However, from a guy's standpoint, this movie has plenty of action - plus one major redeeming quality: two incredibly hot women - in their primes. S. Stone never looked so good; a far cry from what she is now in the 21st century. Not to be outdone, Vanity, in her very brief career, is at her best here. Oh, and to seal-the-deal, there's a healthy amount of nudity, too. Hence, this movie offers a great watch on "guys night out.".
½ November 3, 2012
An action cliche. If you like 80s action, you really can't go wrong with this.
October 28, 2012
Craig T. Nelson doing martial arts. Enough said. Carl Weathers is my hero.

2008 Movies: 148
October 27, 2012
Detroit cop foils a murder plot by an auto company owner to gain power in the auto union. Looking back, maybe more auto manufacturer influence in the union would have been a good thing. Action displays elite athletic skills on multiple occasions.
September 24, 2012
Look, I record some really random movies sometimes. I grew up on stuff like this but never saw this particular one. I realized two things. First, if Action Jackson had been made 15 years earlier, it would have been a completely different movie, but I did love the unmistakable 80s action flavor. Second, I feel like there was some kind of accounting error in a film studio. I think every supporting character in Die Hard and Predator was paid for an extra movie, so someone had the bright idea of putting them all together in a movie just to even things out. They just had to add Coach and a couple more woman, then boom, movie. Really liked Carl Weathers though.
August 23, 2012
I actually enjoyed this. It's classic 80's shit
August 3, 2012
Text book 80's action movie gold. The screaming, shouting Police Captain, the cheesey oneliners, OTT action and that legendary screen henchman Al Leong. Serious twitch from both Shaz Stone and Vanity.
½ July 28, 2012
Another stupid 80's action.
July 1, 2012
6/30/2012: OK, typical 80's action flick.
June 16, 2012
I thought I remembered liking this as a kid. After rewatching it 20+ years later... I was mistaken. What a crapfest!