Action Jackson Reviews

• Marisol M Super Reviewer
    Mar 24, 2021

I'm split right down the middle: 'Action Jackson' is objectively ludicrous, but also non-stop amusing. This puppy bleeds so much 80's, it's dizzying. Jericho Jackson is a disgraced cop, but also a bad mama jama - a man of ACTION! He runs down a speeding cab on foot. He tells a henchman to "Chill out!" right before he ignites his a**. The women are impossibly gorgeous and often naked. Biff Tannen apparently dropped out and became a dips**t patrol cop. The final showdown is packed with karate. 'Action' does it all. Ultimately though, the shenanigans are never quiiiite So-Bad-They're-Good. Mr. Weathers is a Hasbro action figure come to life; the man was positively robbed of a long career headlining shameless machismo flicks. A meatless role for Miss Stone pre-90s hotstreak, but how does Craig T. Nelson nail 100% cold-blooded a**hole in some roles, yet 100% wholesome dad in others? Dude's got range. 'Jackson' is an absurd tornado of silly one-liners, big-time explosions, s**tty acting (thanks, Vanity), maxed-out cliched cop dialogue, and uneven sound design (I could barely hear Stone's dialogue).

• Mar 04, 2021

Carl Weathers charisma can’t save this howler of an ‘80s cop thriller that checks all the boxes of genre: tough cop that breaks all the rules, no-nonsense superior, homophobia, misogyny, loads of expository dialogue, DOA one liners, evil henchman, and an obvious baddie.

• Jan 05, 2021

6 bags, once again the critics mistake treasure for trash. Funny story, i'd heard ppl say "Action Jackson" as a nickname and such (i.e., "go for it, 'Action Jackson,'"), and never had seen the movie or even knew that there was such a film, until it popped up on HBO Max. This is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen, I'm sorry to say it's wholly underrated. I was intrigued when I saw the names Carl Weathers, Craig B. Neslen, Bill Duke, and Sharon Stone in the credits. I was sold when I saw that Herbie Hancock and Mike Kamen did the score together, and I knew this would be an all time classic when the cops at the police station ask a whore suspect for a hand-job, she says "how about a foot job?" then she kicks them in the balls! Vanity is also amazing in the movie as a great performer, like Applelonia in Prince's classic "Purple Rain." Craig B Nuttin' is a despicable villain. This movie got panned in '88 but made good $, then the studio sold the lot and the rights, and no franchise! Carl Weathers is always getting the short end of the stick; Apollo was kind of arrogant and now that he has his own franchise, it's Michael B. Jordan as his kid. In Predator and Mando, you can't trust him! In Happy Gilmore though he was the lovable Chubbs! Action Jackson was gonna be Weathers' franchise, but it wouldn't turn out that way unfortunately. It was primed for success with Paula Abdul as the film's stunt coordinator, and an action-comedy formula that audiences clearly adored. The songs "He Turned Me Out"( the film's theme song by the Sledge Sisters) (a great film always has a theme song) and "Faraway Eyes" by Vanity are the best songs in a movie maybe besides "My Heart Will Go On" or "Playin' With the Boys" from Titanic and Top Gun, respectively. Only those movies each featured one great song and this movie only has great songs, it's probably better music-wise even then "Bohemian Rhapsody." These songs allude to Jackson being a total stud, and it's a total travesty that we'd never see the character again guns blazing to these slappin' songs. Why don't they get Michael B. Jordan to play Action Jackson and Vanity's kid or something, then do a sequel? That'd be killer. There's sure a lotta jokes and cursing and funniness in the movie, like when a guy steals Action Jackson's ID and says "fuck a duck!" There's a lot of cursing and banter, and Vanity plays a heroin addict who looks pretty put-together and pretty for being on that White Horse (PCC: LOTR). It's funny how men excuse a good-looking woman with problems, like "oh well, she likes to drink or do drugs, no biggie" 'cause a man likes her and then they find out she's crazy when she's hitting you and yelling at you and you go out and party with her friends and almost get killed. Jackson just tells her "I'm divorced" and Vanity is all over him. I tell women I've had these problems with other women and there like "yeah, 'cause you're a loser and you don't make enough money." This movie was cool also in that it had a black protagonist and a despicable white guy woman killer/beater white guy bad guy, like "Tenet." The car chase/highway scene in reverse in "Tenet" was awesome, but it was also cool when Action uses a heroin syringe about 70 minutes into the movie as a weapon to stab a guy. A.J. had the action, the comedy, the romance, the music, the heroism, the mystery, the social commentary. This movie turned me out like the seminal theme song on which the movie is based.

• Apr 08, 2020

Craig T. Nelson went all out in this.

Craig T. Nelson went all out in this.

• Sep 14, 2019

Cliche and Detroit. Interesting at times, but ultimately fell down with the script.

• Mar 29, 2019

Classic. Yall trippin. R.i.P. the beautiful Vanity

Classic. Yall trippin. R.i.P. the beautiful Vanity

• Oct 31, 2018

Totally bonkers from the word "go," the movie is so tonally disarranged and so narratively ludicrous that it becomes impossible to guess where things are going next-unpredictable, but not incompetent or unclear. Though I won't say the filmmakers "deftly" mix comedy with action, both are so cartoonish and over-the-top (and all-over-the-place) that the tones bleed into one another even as they feel disharmonious. Whatever its faults, the movie is energetic and unapologetically absurd, stylistically somewhere between 007 (just look at the poster), 70s blaxploitation, and 80s cop comedies-baby, that's one hell of a stew you got going.

• Sep 03, 2017

Here we have Carl Weathers and Craig T. Nelson, stalwarts of 80s action flicks, going head to head as a Detroit police officer, Jericho Jackson, and a devious industrialist. Carl Weathers must save the industrialist's mistress (Vanity) from a drug-smuggling plot and kicks it into high gear by kicking ass and taking names later. The action scenes are quite good; however, the plot is utterly pointless. Watch for Sharon Stone as the ill-fated wife of Nelson's character. A true over-the-top 80s genre staple that doesn't provide anything we haven't seen before.

• Sep 02, 2017

Four stars hands down.

Four stars hands down.

• Jan 22, 2017

I found this to be just awful. It had potential, but it never really grabbed hold of my attention. I would certainly recommend that you skip this one.