Adam and Paul - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adam and Paul Reviews

May 9, 2014
Excellent film. Tragically funny, shows the two men with a glimpse of what they could have been and yet just how bad they have become. Really enjoyed watching it. the characterisations are superb.
May 6, 2014
This is not normally my type of movie, but I loved every minute of it. Beautifully acted, not a wasted scene. And unrelentingly funny despite the grim theme. A definite thumbs up.
August 21, 2013
This is a poignant story about two heroin addicts living in Dublin. They are named Adam and Paul and they are hopelessly lost in the world. They wander the streets of Dublin with no other purpose than to find the next fix and to satisfy their desperate craving. It's really a very sad story but also finds several moments of humour amidst the gloom.
The comedy in the movie is at times reminiscent of Laurel and Hardy slapstick but is perhaps closer in tone and style to a Samuel Beckett tragicomedy. Watch out for one hilarious scene where the pair have an encounter with a haughty Bulgarian man on a public bench. The scene is wickedly funny, insightful and clever but nevertheless ends on a bleak, existential note. Comedy and tragedy are never too far apart in this movie.
Although the movie finds the absurd in the everyday it neither glorifies nor laughs at drug addiction. I believed the situation this pair are in, and although they are in many ways despicable and dishonest characters, I could not help but feel very sorry for them in their dog-eyed misery. They are slaves to their addiction and you see little hope for them.
July 8, 2013
One of the bleakest films I have ever seen.
November 8, 2012
it was an ok movie but I don't want to see it again, I didn't think it was a good movie and I won't watch it again
October 5, 2012
As real as it gets.......
½ October 25, 2011
you can see what they're trying to tell but it just goes with such a boring pace that you kinda just want it to get to the point... could of been better and not for those that want a train spotting experience.
½ August 14, 2011
I enjoyed this movie. Watching 2 strung out retards trapesing around Dublin Poncing fags and stealing milk. It was a shame they got what they were looking for in the end. The movie ceased being funny after that.
½ May 11, 2010
i loved this, the actors in the lead roles are really amazing. the tone of the film is set by the soundtrack, it makes you feel you are watching a comedy. and the first scene is really funny, one of the best opening comedy scenes ever. and the shorter one, poor guy, getting randomly hit and kicked and punched all the time, you can't help but laugh. but, obviously, it's a film about two junkies, there's sadness in it, too. i love how you don't really know who's adam and who's paul, they are an item. an item held together for years of friendship and heroin. the story is kind of circular, the film finishes more or less where it started, only the comedy of the first scene is replaced by the tragedy of the last. simply brilliant. my only piece of criticism is the image quality in some of the scenes, far too crispy, sometimes it looked like a shitty soap. it kind of worked for the dreamy druggy scenes at the end, but not for the dialogues. pity, because the story and the acting are really good indeed.
February 8, 2010
This movie about two typical junkies in Dublin will definitely make you laugh. It will definitely make you cry...and also, it will definitely open your eyes to see the reality that is devastating and rotting our own society within. This film is not just about two heroin addicts and their struggle through a day of course. It is indeed, an everyday tragedy. It is an echo, crying and shouting for help. This film makes you feel, that you as well are part of it somehow...