Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights Reviews

October 18, 2015
A shameless, soulless, annoying, and unfunny holiday movie. And for a Hanukkah movie, it has little to do with the actual holiday.
September 14, 2015
Boasting Adam Sandler in an animated feature, Eight Crazy Nights sounded like a fun romp.

Eight Crazy Nights is not one of Adam Sandler's better known films, and it's clear why. The film is little more than an exercise in flagrant self-indulgence for Adam Sandler with four writers behind it and yet nobody who can come up with a clever joke. Despite being animated in the style of a conventional Christmas special, Eight Crazy Nights uses this illusion as an attempt to make its potty humour much funnier by contrast. Unfortunately, it is far from effective. The only times that I laughed during Eight Crazy Nights were when I went against the movie's expectations and had a genuine thought about what I was watching, coming to the realization that the genuine idea that anybody could come up with such ridiculous dribble and consider it humour was beyond my own belief.
Eight Crazy Nights attempts to be a childish animation, a ridiculously potty humour oriented film and a serious film that deals with concepts such as bereavement and depression all at once. Unfortunately, the only thing the film succeeds at is being animated. And even then, the animation is intentionally designed to be modelled after animated Christmas specials which means that it is hardly groundbreaking. The animation to the film may have colour to it and provide a medium where the film can represent whatever ridiculous ideas it wants on screen, but what is actually depicted proves far from innovative without even bringing nostalgic value to viewers who appreciate the old animated Christmas specials. The film features the presence of musical numbers as a desperate attempt to try and bring that in, but the songs are not funny, catchy or well-written in the slightest. They don't even blend with the narrative and ultimately just feel too forced, ultimately living down to the standard of the rest of the writing in the film. I don't like musical films in the first place, so when a film so full of aggressively unfunny crude jokes ends up trying to distract viewers with musical numbers, the result is simply depressing. More depressing than the main character who is modelled as a combined caricature of Ebenezer Scrooge and Adam Sandler's natural archetype, therefore plain unlikable from the start. And the predictable path of the story is not hidden beneath the ridiculous excuse for jokes that are written into the story. There is no telling what kind of jokes will come next as they are always different kinds being thrown at the viewer from all directions. Perhaps some of the most childish viewers will find the ridiculous spin on the commonly child-friendly nature of Christmas animated specials in Eight Crazy Nights to be of some kind of comic value, but those who do no subscribe to the esoteric market of Adam Sandler's lesser works will simply see the film for what it is: a lifeless collection of sketches that try to reduce concepts such as alcoholism and seizures to paper-thin gags bereft of any sensibility. I couldn't help but wonder who came up with the idea to fund such a ridiculous film. That was all answered for me in one scene where the characters travel to the mall and show audiences all the real-life stores as depicted with animated logos that come to life. Product placement in films can hardly get more explicit than in Eight Crazy Nights, and the flagrantly obvious nature of this all condemns the materialistic nature of the film to be too much like blatant Christmas advertising itself to honestly enjoy. The concept itself is a joke, but like the actual jokes in the rest of the film, there is nothing to laugh about. The simple fact is that everything in Eight Crazy Nights is woefully misguided, and so the fact that you've never heard of director Seth Kearsley comes as no coincidence.
Even the gimmick of Adam Sandler as an animated character is far from appealing in Eight Crazy Nights. Adam Sandler's voice work is sub-par. You can tell he's making an effort, it's just that his ambition is a blind one. The protagonist of the story is animated in such a way that his face shows few expressions beyond the same hungover face the entire film, and Adam Sandler approaches the role as such with a mostly monotonous line delivery. He has occasional bursts of greater energy, but it is hardly ever convincing because the character remains lost in his own depressive melancholy the entire time. But Adam Sandler actually voices three major characters in the film as well as making the deer sounds. The other two he plays are Whitey and Eleanore Duvall. Voicing three characters in one film is rather ridiculous when you can't get the main one right, but it also means audiences are bound to pick up on the similarities and break past the ridiculous facade. While the ridiculously nasal tone of voice he puts into Eleanore Duvall may be slightly more convincing and even borderline funny at times, Whitey Duvall is a character I could not look past. Instead of trying to sound like an old man, Adam Sandler simply raises his voice to the highest point for the role of Whitey Duvall. This isn't funny and it is certainly not believable, but rather just incredibly annoying. Adam Sandler spends most of Eight Crazy Nights having conversations with himself, and that idea is hardly funny enough on the surface to justify 76 minutes of it.

So Eight Crazy Nights' medium as an animated film gives Adam Sandler a chance to explore a new level of ridiculous potty humour, and he does it with disregard for creating anything genuinely funny which ends up leading to a scatterlogical collection of crude and laugh-free gags that fail to illuminate any kind of Christmas spirit.
September 6, 2015
A ripoff of a Christmas carol with the typical Adam Sandler humor. Incredibly mean spirited to the point where it makes Jack Frost (the bad one!) look like Will Farrell's "Elf"! Go play in the freeway!
August 10, 2015
Adam Sandler's own version of The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill, and Beavis & Butthead.
½ August 4, 2015
While it's fun to watch and has some replay value to it. It's also immature and extremely disgusting!
½ August 4, 2015
I'm a big Adam Sandler fan as I have watched the large majority of his films and have enjoyed most of them but i would recommend all fans of Sandler to stay away from this movie, It has no redeeming qualities and its humour comprises mostly of bodily fluid based jokes. The film trys to be a family/kid film and a gross out/adult film all in one and it just doesn't work. The main character that Sandler plays is so unlikable and one dimensional and one of the main characters has an unbearable voice that made me want to stop watching the film 10 minutes in. A horrible film and one of the worst animation features I have ever been unfortunate enough to have seen.
½ June 18, 2015
Too mean spirited and spiteful to be worth anything more than a glance.
March 25, 2015
Three words: obnoxious and annoying, and the gorgeous animation makes it even worse somehow. 1/5 Garbage
½ February 7, 2015
Why do people like this movie?? It's completely alienating, devoid of anything clever, contains awful fifth-rate jokes, maintains an inconsistent tone (one minute a character is frozen in a block of deer shit and the next minute another character is tormented over the deaths of his parents) and has racist characters (of course played by Rob Schneider). The voice acting is awful, particularly from Adam Sandler as four different characters that all sound equally horrible. My theory is that people only like it because a), there aren't a lot of mainstream Hanukkah films and b), there are a lot of idiots who think Adam Sandler's ten tropes he always uses are comedy gold. EIGHT CRAZY NIGHTS is an awful excuse for a Hanukkah movie, and really shows that we need a better one and fast.
½ January 17, 2015
no stars sums it up.
½ January 5, 2015
Why did I watch this. Why did I watch this.
Why.
December 31, 2014
Adam Sandler is as annoying as ever in this sad attempt at a musical. He can't sing in his normal voice, so him singing in three voices is just hard on the ears. It's not funny at all and it was just a big waste of my time. Don't waste yours.
½ December 22, 2014
This was a funny movie from Sandler. I'm not usually a fan, but the Hanukkah humor was too good to pass up on.
½ November 25, 2014
Good Hanuka/Christmas movie. I feel sorry little old man Whitey threw this whole movie.
November 22, 2014
The Style of Animation is My Favorite.
½ September 17, 2014
A shamefully badly written piece of garbage with terrible voice acting. The jokes are too immature for any adult to find funny and too adult-like for any child to find funny.
September 8, 2014
BUT ITS FUNNY GUYS WHATS THE ISSUE
½ August 29, 2014
I recommend this to kids 11+
August 25, 2014
One of my fav Xmas movies