Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
As one of the worst animated movies I've ever seen (and one of the worst movies in general), Eight Crazy Nights has everything I hate about Adam Sandlers films. The only good thing about this is the animation, but I'm not talking about the disturbing images in the animation. I want to apologize to everyone who celebrates Hanukah because this is their only known movie they have. This is one holiday film everyone should avoid and I DO mean everyone!
June 21, 2016
Eight Crazy Nights is a good Adam Sandler movie. I am happy Adam Sandler did a animated movie based on him. This movie is excellent and hilarious. I would suggest this movie.
May 25, 2016
Eight Crazy Nights insults its audience by throwing good animation into the garbage, with gross-out humor, unlikeable characters, and more product placement than actual plot.
May 24, 2016
Eight Crazy Nights is the first animation film from Happy Madison Productions, and it stars Adam Sandler in a holiday comedy about an alcoholic jerk who got himself in trouble, and when he was about to be sent to prison for a lot of crimes, his childhood coach takes him and tries to make the main guy a better person. I was very worried about watching it since I've seen the Nostalgia Critic review it, and he tear it a new one. Since I feel like watching lots of Adam Sandler films that are on Netflix, I guess I'll start with this one, and man, was this a terrible start. The only positives things that I can think of, are the animation, which is the most tragic aspect of this film as it is very nice to look at despite some of the poo parts, and that it's kind of impressive to hear Adam Sandler's impersonation of Whitey's sister as I wouldn't even think it was even him. Now that's done, let's get to the negative stuff. The movie is so mean-spirited that I was getting depressed watching it. The movie is not funny at all, and Adam Sandler's main character is a complete jerk with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Some of the songs actually could've worked for me if it wasn't for Whitey's annoying voice that kept singing it. The product placement is shocking to me as they are all over the place and they are all a character too. The gross jokes are not funny, more or less nasty to look at, and Rob Schneider as a Chinese restaurant waiter was seriously not needed and is not funny either, which felt a little offensive here. I have never felt so miserable and irritated for a film in a long time, and while Eight Crazy Nights is a little better than Adam Sandler's worst films like Jack and Jill or That's my Boy, I still hated this film and I'm glad that he's in better animation films which are Hotel Transylvania part 1 and 2.
April 21, 2016
Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights is no "A Christmas Story", but it knows some holiday spirit and it's got some chuckles.
½ March 25, 2016
Shit-eating deer, what the hell?
March 19, 2016
This movie is hilarious with a good message.
February 3, 2016
This is one of my most favorite Christmas movies I watch it every Christmas, great story line, the sound track is awesome and one of my favorite Adam sandler movies
January 19, 2016
Adam Sandler is a hack
½ January 15, 2016
more annoying than funny
January 14, 2016
I only give credit to the film's animation. Everything else about it is just horrible. Not worth the watch.
½ December 24, 2015
No class - a wasted opportunity.
My eight yr old niece asked if it was
rated R, it was so bad.
Yes I asked to change the station, but I was voted down.
A few appropriate funny bits here and there, just WAY too much mean spirited talk and adult sexual humor for kids to watch - too desperate, immature and disappointing for adults.
A few funny bits are lost in too much unfunny toilet gazing.
½ December 12, 2015
Attempting to watch this on TV has inspired me to give my very first rotten tomatoes score because of how bad it was.
December 8, 2015
Junk movie. Dirty talk typical cheap jewsish movie
December 6, 2015
This movie is not without merits, one of them being that it is only 70 minutes long. The plot is so weak--it is hard to sell that the old man's self-worth is conditioned upon receiving the annual prize--held by a thread of holiday-themed settings, and it has nothing to do with being "crazy" or "nights" or Hanukkah. And the threat of a 10-yeas sentence for failing to pay a bar tab is a blatant plot device to raise the stakes. Also, it is tenuous to suggest that he hasn't cried for 20 years since his parents died.

Also displays a blatant ignorance of diabetes, saying that sugar is deadly to people with diabetes.

The excessive toilet humor is cheap and unfunny. The poor animation quality is distracting. Overall this had the potential to be a decent flick rather than a disposable hour of my time.
November 3, 2015
How is this a 12%? This is my favorite christmas movie!
October 18, 2015
A shameless, soulless, annoying, and unfunny holiday movie. And for a Hanukkah movie, it has little to do with the actual holiday.
September 14, 2015
Boasting Adam Sandler in an animated feature, Eight Crazy Nights sounded like a fun romp.

Eight Crazy Nights is not one of Adam Sandler's better known films, and it's clear why. The film is little more than an exercise in flagrant self-indulgence for Adam Sandler with four writers behind it and yet nobody who can come up with a clever joke. Despite being animated in the style of a conventional Christmas special, Eight Crazy Nights uses this illusion as an attempt to make its potty humour much funnier by contrast. Unfortunately, it is far from effective. The only times that I laughed during Eight Crazy Nights were when I went against the movie's expectations and had a genuine thought about what I was watching, coming to the realization that the genuine idea that anybody could come up with such ridiculous dribble and consider it humour was beyond my own belief.
Eight Crazy Nights attempts to be a childish animation, a ridiculously potty humour oriented film and a serious film that deals with concepts such as bereavement and depression all at once. Unfortunately, the only thing the film succeeds at is being animated. And even then, the animation is intentionally designed to be modelled after animated Christmas specials which means that it is hardly groundbreaking. The animation to the film may have colour to it and provide a medium where the film can represent whatever ridiculous ideas it wants on screen, but what is actually depicted proves far from innovative without even bringing nostalgic value to viewers who appreciate the old animated Christmas specials. The film features the presence of musical numbers as a desperate attempt to try and bring that in, but the songs are not funny, catchy or well-written in the slightest. They don't even blend with the narrative and ultimately just feel too forced, ultimately living down to the standard of the rest of the writing in the film. I don't like musical films in the first place, so when a film so full of aggressively unfunny crude jokes ends up trying to distract viewers with musical numbers, the result is simply depressing. More depressing than the main character who is modelled as a combined caricature of Ebenezer Scrooge and Adam Sandler's natural archetype, therefore plain unlikable from the start. And the predictable path of the story is not hidden beneath the ridiculous excuse for jokes that are written into the story. There is no telling what kind of jokes will come next as they are always different kinds being thrown at the viewer from all directions. Perhaps some of the most childish viewers will find the ridiculous spin on the commonly child-friendly nature of Christmas animated specials in Eight Crazy Nights to be of some kind of comic value, but those who do no subscribe to the esoteric market of Adam Sandler's lesser works will simply see the film for what it is: a lifeless collection of sketches that try to reduce concepts such as alcoholism and seizures to paper-thin gags bereft of any sensibility. I couldn't help but wonder who came up with the idea to fund such a ridiculous film. That was all answered for me in one scene where the characters travel to the mall and show audiences all the real-life stores as depicted with animated logos that come to life. Product placement in films can hardly get more explicit than in Eight Crazy Nights, and the flagrantly obvious nature of this all condemns the materialistic nature of the film to be too much like blatant Christmas advertising itself to honestly enjoy. The concept itself is a joke, but like the actual jokes in the rest of the film, there is nothing to laugh about. The simple fact is that everything in Eight Crazy Nights is woefully misguided, and so the fact that you've never heard of director Seth Kearsley comes as no coincidence.
Even the gimmick of Adam Sandler as an animated character is far from appealing in Eight Crazy Nights. Adam Sandler's voice work is sub-par. You can tell he's making an effort, it's just that his ambition is a blind one. The protagonist of the story is animated in such a way that his face shows few expressions beyond the same hungover face the entire film, and Adam Sandler approaches the role as such with a mostly monotonous line delivery. He has occasional bursts of greater energy, but it is hardly ever convincing because the character remains lost in his own depressive melancholy the entire time. But Adam Sandler actually voices three major characters in the film as well as making the deer sounds. The other two he plays are Whitey and Eleanore Duvall. Voicing three characters in one film is rather ridiculous when you can't get the main one right, but it also means audiences are bound to pick up on the similarities and break past the ridiculous facade. While the ridiculously nasal tone of voice he puts into Eleanore Duvall may be slightly more convincing and even borderline funny at times, Whitey Duvall is a character I could not look past. Instead of trying to sound like an old man, Adam Sandler simply raises his voice to the highest point for the role of Whitey Duvall. This isn't funny and it is certainly not believable, but rather just incredibly annoying. Adam Sandler spends most of Eight Crazy Nights having conversations with himself, and that idea is hardly funny enough on the surface to justify 76 minutes of it.

So Eight Crazy Nights' medium as an animated film gives Adam Sandler a chance to explore a new level of ridiculous potty humour, and he does it with disregard for creating anything genuinely funny which ends up leading to a scatterlogical collection of crude and laugh-free gags that fail to illuminate any kind of Christmas spirit.
September 6, 2015
A ripoff of a Christmas carol with the typical Adam Sandler humor. Incredibly mean spirited to the point where it makes Jack Frost (the bad one!) look like Will Farrell's "Elf"! Go play in the freeway!
August 10, 2015
Adam Sandler's own version of The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill, and Beavis & Butthead.