Addams Family Reunion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Addams Family Reunion Reviews

November 28, 2015
Sadly, whilst enjoyable in places it is nothing compared to the original two films which are rightly classics. The actors who plays the main characters just cannot be replaced. That might explain why The Addams Family is due back in cinemas in 2016 as an animated film only.
½ November 25, 2014
Funny, but some parts are really CRAZY!!!
½ November 16, 2014
Recast and retooled, Addams Family Reunion is garbage. Strange and foul things await when an ancestry company mistakenly sends the Addams to the wrong family union. Tim Curry and Daryl Hannah lead the cast and are more or less adequate in their roles; but they're the only ones, everyone else is appallingly bad. And the writing is awful, going for the lamest, most low-brow, amateurish jokes imaginable. Also, the costumes and sets look incredibly cheap, and aren't helped out at all by the directing. Just a terribly made film, Addams Family Reunion is an abysmal attempt at reviving the franchise.
October 25, 2014
Why did they even bother...
August 15, 2014
(First and only full viewing - In my mid-twenties)
September 17, 2013
HWUT! Tim Curry! this exists?
½ September 3, 2013
I have since discovered this film was in fact a reboot of the franchise which is odd seeing as the first two films were big hits. Yet despite the reboot the film does follow on from the second in terms of visuals at least. The location of the Addams mansion/estate seems similar to the second film, as does the house interior, 'Granny' is back as a main character and more like the original films incarnation and of course good old Carel Struycken is still 'Lurch'.

The plot is also not too much of a diversion from the previous two films. Again it revolves around the family, this time 'Gomez's' grandparents, who appear to be turning 'normal'. So Gomez organises another reunion to find a family member to help. The twist is there is a company that helps Gomez do this but a spelling mistake on the Addams name (Adams) sets up a reunion with a different family who are regular people.

As you might expect there is much ghoulish silliness which has been filmed and edited in the same way as the previous films. A lot of fast cuts, sped up sequences, odd camera angles etc...the whole atmosphere and approach is very familiar and still enjoyable. Sure some of it doesn't look at slick or polished as the other films, this is clearly a much cheaper production and more in line with TV movies but these films get away with it. As the earlier films showed, hammy hokey effects work well with the franchise and add charm to the proceedings, its not meant to look top of the line, more comic book or cartoony.

Unfortunately the creators thought to include the usage of CGI dotted throughout which does spoil the film. Its only used in places but it looks terribly cheap, the CGI mutated puppy is pretty awful and brings back memories of 'The Mask 2'...yep that kind of CGI.

I guess the whole thing will hinge on the cast, can the classic family be re-imagined once again?. Happily and surprisingly I say yes they can, and have been. Tim Curry is probably the best man for the job as Gomez by far, this role fits him like a glove. Daryl Hannah is also surprisingly good as 'Morticia' in both acting and looks, I didn't think a blonde could pull off the goth thing but she nails it. The rest of the creepy bunch are mostly unknowns to me but they do a fair job in their roles, of course I miss Lloyd and Ricci.

I went into this fearing the worst but its actually not too bad. Plot wise its poor and never really goes anywhere, add to that various meaningless subplots. The cast save the film from complete failure and the fact they managed to keep it in line with the older films is nice, makes it feel more complete, more of a third film in a trilogy. Would be interesting to see this cast in a much higher production with better effects etc...
September 2, 2013
This is the worst Addams Family movie in the 90s. Perhaps I just got used to the previous cast.
½ July 2, 2013
The entire cast replaced is enough reason to avoid this disjointed, boring and unnessessary sequel. Also ¿Tim Curry as Gomez? Nop. Simply no.
April 12, 2013
Terrible. Just Terrible. Tim Curry Is Better Than This Movie. Ruins The Whole Thing. Just Glad It's Not An Official Sequel To The Great Films Which Came Before It.
April 4, 2013
for 1998:

it's actually not as terrible as made out to be
it's a very relaxing watch and good to pass the time
out of all the random scenes and hijinks I found it rather giggle-worthy
Daryl Hannah and Tim Curry are brilliant as the parents making even the happiest of times the most gloomy and foreboding
all your favorite characters do their thing
those two people who accidentally get stranded at the mansion really could have been cut out completely because they absolutely served no purpose whatsoever and they slowed down the story
for me it's a pretty hilarious having the Addams try to interact with their supposed-relatives which doesn't happen very often
February 24, 2013
The fact that Tim Curry is in this will not make me want to watch it.
½ February 17, 2013
Wednesday was great the rest of them not so much.
January 22, 2013
What. There should never be any more of these movies made. The first two were classics and everything else? Not worth knowing about.
½ December 26, 2012
December 7, 2012
Could be worth watching. Will find and devour with my eyes!
November 24, 2012
I used to love this movie as a kid, but never realized how bad it is. Raul Julia, Anjelica Houston, and Christina Ricci are certainly better than the characters in this sequel. Tim Curry did a decent job though!
½ November 15, 2012
Oh no. "TV movie" is NEVER a good sign. Especially this "film". There's no laughs, just plenty of sped up film, poor CGI and LOTS of stupidity. If you're expecting the humor of the first two films, stick with them. Or watch the TV show. But by all means, avoid this trash.

The worst example is Uncle Fester. He's too much like Curley Howard. He lacks any of the presence that Christopher Lloyd had. And that REALLY annoyed me cos Fester was always my favourite character.

Tim Curry and Daryl Hannah are nice choices though. But sadly they can't save this film. The supporting cast just over acts like crazy to the point where you want to drill you brain out,

The CGI dog is the worst. It'll make you want to drink an entire six pack all at once. It looks like something from a PlayStation game.

This movie is like guide on how to anger people who enjoyed the first two installments of a franchise.

TV Movies never work for me. They just don't. By all means, make it theatrical. That's the whole point of a movie. Just don't hire hacks to make the film in under a week.
November 3, 2012
What is this another "SAW 3D" movie.
½ October 27, 2012
This movie seem cheap when watching it...