Admission - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Admission Reviews

½ March 22, 2013
I had liked it for the comedic romance, but Lily Tomlin was great.
March 22, 2013
Tough process but a feel good approach.
½ March 22, 2013
Not as funny as I had hoped. It was actually kind of lame. It almost seemed as if they threw a piece of crap script together to put a movie out with Tina Fey and Paul Rudd. this pretty much shows that a movie does not succeed based on cast alone. My advice - don't even bother renting or pay-per-view... borrow it from the library when it's released or wait for it on cable. The premise is that Tina Fey is an Admissions Officer at Princeton and Paul Rudd wants her to meet a prodigy at his 'Alternative' school. Oh, and Tina Fey had a baby born on the same day as this kid at the same hospital where she delivered. Oh, and Rudd coincidently went to Dartmouth with Fey, knows her roommate and knows about the baby she gave up for adoption. The only kudos I give is that she at least selflessly gave the baby up for adoption. A.)Princeton is not 'the' college and even if the script pointed out that Princeton slipped to #2 rated, there are so many choices. B.) How is this 'Alternative school' (Quest) rated academically? Admissions officers take the academic rigor and curriculum into consideration. A student who gets all A's at one school may be a C+/B- student in a school with a more stringent curriculum. C.)Who is paying for the college? Princeton is not free. D.) Keene, NH and Princeton are not that close - as implied throughout the script. They must be on a time-warp continuum because it seems logistically impossible to drive back and forth as they were doing. D.) it seems that they must always make rich, white people (such as Rudd's mother) look like insensitive buffoons - even if they provided so much for their son, yet he was resentful... Rudd is again cast as a character who must deal with 'rich, white-people problems'.
½ March 22, 2013
There's not much to say here. It's likable due to the the performances of Fey, Rudd and Tomlin, but it masquerade as a comedy when it's not. It's more dramical than comical, but fails to make it's point since it was never clearly defined in the first place.
½ March 22, 2013
Loved it! If you like real life, you'll love this.
Pretty funny. Like Jim Carey
March 22, 2013
Tina Fey is at her best in this movie. I can't write a huge review without giving away anything but if you like Tina Fey at all you would absolutely love this movie!
½ March 22, 2013
YAY!! Somebody finally convinced Tina Fey that she has REAL acting chops & doesn't have to stoop beneath her capabilities (& pride) to get a laugh!

This was a shockingly sweet, unpredictable in parts, truly funny & meaningful movie. My daughter & I both laughed, teared up a little, & hugged afterwards. Such is the 'uplift' felt after seeing this surprise of a movie.

I already liked Tina Fey, but was guarded at what might potentially assault my senses in any movie she's in. Happily that wasn't the case here. Lilly Tomlin was actually a bit more...not raunchy per se, just more of a rough-around-the-edges character (who I found HILARIOUS).

Paul Rudd, what can I say?? Who doesn't love him & his work? I love him & this was no departure from his loveable, sweet characters (with a little edge...so funny!).

The only reason I didn't give this movie 5 whole stars is that, as with most movies nowadays, there could've been a bit more left on the cutting room floor. It dragged just a bit in the middle. And the fact that they throw in the 1 extreme expletive. Don't expect squeaky clean, but darn close & worth it!
½ March 22, 2013
This was an interesting movie. You go in thinking it's going to be a fun time away from your crazy life and want to laugh. This does not do that. Though there are some humorous moments, it's mostly erased by the dramatic theme. Whether you relate to the story or not, it will make you think and cry. Perhaps if the trailers had shown it to be what it is-a dramatic comedy not vise versa we would not be so disappointed in it. I do think the acting from Tina Fey was great. Having said that Rudd and Fey have no chemistry. Besides the love scenes they seemed to me like brother and sister. My opinion...rental!
½ March 22, 2013
Individually, Tina Fey and Paul Rudd are two incredibly talented and likable actors. However, in this movie, they show no chemistry to the point where I didn't even want them to end up together. In addition to that, this movie had a few too many awkward scenarios that added no comedic effect, and actually felt uncomfortable. But, I did enjoy the look into what I can only assume is an accurate depiction of the life of a college admissions officer, and the hard work that goes in to evaluating tens of thousands of Ivy League hopefuls.
½ March 22, 2013
It was a great movie, it was more dramatical than what you except, but it is a movie about woman meeting her child she gave up for adoption, and the reuniting of them. But it had just the right amount of comedy for the topic. Fey and Rudd, were just charming together.
I highly recommend it for people to go see it.
March 22, 2013
This is a very well thought out movie. Do not try and get to attached though, you'll end up with your heart broke.
March 21, 2013
I feel nothing but indifference toward this movie. It's mildly funny and never gets quite as emotional as it thinks it is. It's not great. But on the upside, it isn't terrible.
½ March 21, 2013
tina fey.. paul rudd.. y'all can do better than this
½ March 21, 2013
Enjoyable film that wasn't what I expected but still lived up to my expectations which as most know is hard to do!
March 21, 2013
ADMISSION is weird and bad, but mainly weird. The screenplay is one of the worst of the year and makes its leads, including the lovely Tina Fey look like idiots. How did the screenwriter and director of ABOUT A BOY make this film?
March 21, 2013
Half of the reviews that you have deemed rotten are mostly positive, while a few of the ones you select as fresh tilt negative. Does this site actually have a system (like actually reading the entire review), or do your own points of view on the movies come into play? It's not just this movie. I've seen this discrepancy on dozens of the movies you rate. Frankly it's unprofessional.
March 21, 2013
smells like yuppie spirit...more "should I just settle on the personal fulfillment of being a corporate drone or tie the apron on and become June Cleever?" angst. Note: haven't gone to see it, so probably shouldn't judge. Second note: and I won't. Focus Features are usually quite good; please stay focused. Ms. Fey can do way better than this.