Adrift in Manhattan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adrift in Manhattan Reviews

July 9, 2015
A melancholy drama, Adrift in Manhattan is a cold and monotonous film. The story follows three New Yorkers, an artist losing his sight, a doctor who's lost her child, and an amateur photographer, who are all dealing with estrangement. Unfortunately the script is rather weak and doesn't focus on any of the characters long enough for the audience to connect with or care about them. And the directing is rather mundane, doing little to enhance the film or draw out its themes. While Adrift in Manhattan explores some interesting ideas, is poorly made and lacks a compelling story.
April 15, 2013
Had potential, but falls short of being profound, emotional or interesting. Some nice moments but that's about it.
May 13, 2012
Adrift in Manhattan is a quietly moving film about alienation and connection.
May 3, 2012
Adrift in Manhattan is a quietly moving film about alienation and connection.
½ April 25, 2011
i wish the characters were more developed because the cast was great! i loved the romance between Pena and Chianese :) the feeling of isolation in the city was believable.
April 22, 2011
a picture of urban isolation and desolation, effectively portraying the individual challenges going through a sampling of diverse lonely folk passing each other on the subway / streets. makes me think twice about the lives and personal tragedies behind the folks we pass by every day.
½ April 5, 2011
A film worth watching about a group of New Yorkers whose lives unknowingly become intertwined. The individual stories of each of the characters makes the movie a slow one, but it is interesting and a little weird too, but I suppose that is more like real life in a way. I wouldn't watch it a second time.
March 3, 2011
An idea with a lot of potential. A cast with a lot of potential (even Billy Baldwin in Wolfman mode).

All of it wasted, wasted, wasted. Despite some great possible characters, this movie is poorly developed - a painfully appropo pun for a film centered around an optics metaphor. The film asserts that we engage life with either a telephoto lens or a wide angle lens. Either we focus narrowly into the pain within, or we broaden our vision to encompass those around us, enriching our life in the process. Realizing that we do not suffer alone, and that we suffer most in our isolation. A great idea.

Wasted, wasted, wasted.

Overall the film is incredibly narcissistic. Reality and experiences and other people are simply there for our own purposes, our own enjoyment, our own fascination. If that's all that there is to life and relationships, no wonder so many of them flounder. A movie that could have been profound, or realistic, or understanding, or insightful. Instead it's just ridiculous, and, if I haven't mentioned it already, wasted, wasted, wasted.
November 16, 2010
Really slow film. Not very memorable, Heather Graham is really the only one worth checking out in it.
October 2, 2010
I hate to disagree with all the amazing reviews below, but for me, this was a complete and utter yawn fest. I do not like these kind of movies, which are more of a study of the human condition than entertainment. If I want to know how messed up peoples lives are, I would just look at my own. Life is depressing enough without having to be depressed by a movie.
May 17, 2010
Set in New York City, a grieving eye doctor is forced to take a closer look at her life; an aging artist confronts the loss of his eyesight, and a young photographer battles his innermost demons.
January 23, 2010
2 tales loosly connected, the first of a lonely eye optition, being followed by a guy taking photos, who she takes a liking to, the second a postal worker at a office, told hes going blind, tales are interesting, although not as in depth as id liked, it ends before time also, it be nice tosee another twenty mins or so,
½ January 5, 2010
poor film about man who stalks a older woman
½ January 2, 2010
Very slow and a bit dull, although has it's good points. I liked the photography and special mention has to go to that dodgy mother with the 20 year old son. Ugh!
½ December 30, 2009
This tries to be more intellectual than it actually is, but it does give the viewer stuff to think about. Some really nice montage sequence stuff and a fairly interesting plot make for a nice watch. This does commit some "indie" crimes, but not so much that it seems vague (actually, it's pretty easy to follow). A good find.
December 11, 2009
This movie contained characters that were all in a neighborhood. Each was linked to another character. The theme of the movie is how to deal with the loss of something and that isolation is not the answer. It was a good combination of stories, however, this is a movie you watch once and never really think about it again.
½ December 7, 2009
Before seeing it, I hadn't heard anything about it, so I thought it may not be so good. But I was wrong,cause the movie was amazing. Touching story and great performances by Heather Graham and Dominic Chianese, but especially Victor Rasuk.
November 28, 2009
How do you overcome grief? The intersecting lives of lonely people in the big city.
½ August 5, 2009
The loss of innocence, the loss of a child, and the loss of sight. The moral: All we have is the present. The film is somewhat pretentious and somewhat slow; it certainly lays the drama on thick. The acting manages to make up for most of its flaws. Overall, nothing too pronounced ever really occurs, in terms of action, comedy, or tragedy. Rather, it is simply a meditation on life, very similar to ours: quiet in its passing losses and equally quiet in its overcomings.
½ July 30, 2009
This film tries too hard to be an indie meditation on grief, love and dealing with life. In the end it feels incomplete.
And cheers for filming in my old neighborhood :))