Adventures in Babysitting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adventures in Babysitting Reviews

½ November 24, 2014
Charming fun, very enjoyable. 74/100
½ November 2, 2014
80s classic need i say more.
November 2, 2014
My absolute favorite movie!!! This movie had me laughing almost every mintue and really enjoying all of the characters. There was comedy in almost every scene and it was action packed. John Hughes has outdone himself again. Bravo!
October 14, 2014
A stereotypical film for sure, but it has enough likeable characters and scenes to satisfy fans of 80's movies.
October 13, 2014
For a baby sitters movie great but if you watch it in 2000s terrible. For a 80s movie awesome. Not the best movie put not the worst. Ok..., I have nothing else to say.
October 13, 2014
If you are a fan of 1980s comedy you will enjoy this one. But if that isn't your thing, you might want to pass this one by.
½ October 7, 2014
Such a lovely film, its just pure magic and it has aged really well. I watched it again recently and I think them young kids, the three of them, did perform better than many well known big Stars...
September 5, 2014
One of those random 1980s movies I remember watching back in the day. I believe its the first place I ever heard the name Thor. Anyway, its one of those films I should have left in the past. It just wasn't what I remembered.
August 26, 2014
Fairly great 80s movie. Even though I saw it in 2014, I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. I think it's an important movie of its era for teens, but teens now might enjoy it just the same with an added bizarre alternate reality feel of the 80s which they know nothing about.
August 24, 2014
There are funny moments and creativeness on creating a chain of unordinary events on the night of babysitting. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
August 11, 2014
"Don't f*** with the babysitter!" Elisabeth Shue is in for the ride of her life in Adventures in Babysitting. Directed by Chris Columbus, the film follows a teenager named Chris Parker who receives a call, while babysitting, from a friend in distress, and is forced to taking the kids she's watching with her into the city as she attempts to help her friend. The plot is kind of formulaic and follows a lot of the tropes of teen comedies. However, the charisma of the cast (especially Shue) helps to make the material work. And, there's a fun theme with Marvel's Thor that provides some good laughs. Additionally, Columbus keeps the tone lighthearted and brings a sense of whimsy with his directing style. A little silly and cliched at times, Adventures in Babysitting has its flaws but is still an enjoyable romp.
½ August 10, 2014
(First and only viewing - 1/13/2009)
July 15, 2014
My dad loves it but this movie never worked for me. Shue is good but it is very forgettable
½ July 12, 2014
A great 80's film, good humor and jokes, even if you wince at a few of them
½ July 7, 2014
A rather silly yet mildly enjoyable comedy that belongs in the '80s with its cheesy, dated jokes and inane sense of humor (as when someone calls another a homo as a slur), and today it won't be seen as more than an ordinary pastime that can still offer a few laughs.
July 2, 2014
Classic, funny. Worth a watch.
June 24, 2014
Entertaining and ...irritating.
June 19, 2014
Chris Columbus debuta como director con esta muy entretenida comedia familiar llena de situaciones jocosas. Los fanáticos de "Goonies" y de "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" apreciarán mucho esta cinta llena de situaciones descabelladas que incluyen persecusiones, situaciones absurdas y a un mecánico muy parecido a Thor.
June 12, 2014
After scripting such 80s mainstays as Gremlins and The Goonies, Chris Columbus made his directorial debut with this easy-to-take effort that primarily benefits from a charming performance by Elisabeth Shue. The movie's verve and energetic cast do much to rescue the film from its own faults: the clumsy dialogue mixed with the clever, and the jokes that fall flat among terrific ones. Adventures in Babysitting firmly establishes Columbus' unique brand of family-friendly entertainment with a decidedly irreverent edge. There's nothing earth-shattering or wholly original about Columbus' directorial debut that rocked mid-1980s Hollywood. Adventures in Babysitting is a classic "road picture" populated by unique tertiary characters and wacky mixups. By the end of the film, I'd had a couple of real laughs and a few interesting moments, but that was about all. This is really just innocent material with a tendency to flout basic guidelines and stray from the perimeters of believability. Adventures in Babysitting might not be a great movie, but it's a damn entertaining one that has managed to stand the test of time rather beautifully all the same.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
May 18, 2014
Wild adventures. A little corny. Entertaining.